Quadio bundle #4. Let the speculation begin!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvl_guy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Greenville, SC (via NJ, Philly, ATL & SoFL)
Now that FR has said they are close to the final tweaking of this next batch, I thought it might be a good idea to start our speculation in a separate post.

I'm going to bet their will be no repeat of artists yet. But I could be wrong.

I'm also going to bet that, unlike bundle #1, it won't be all the same genre. Closer to bundles 2 and 3 with variety.

One last speculation. One will be something out of the blue (No, not ELO. 🙄) Like WAR was in this last bundle. Who wasn't shocked over that one? It's a way to get us all super psyched. Maybe something that was found in the vaults and unreleased? 🙏

The problem is, Warner's barely dipped their toes into the Quad pool back in the day. There were only 41 commercially available titles, 5 of which are those "Mystic Moods" albums. So that's down to 36 "rock or pop" titles. Subtract the 5 Sinatra titles (which I would assume are untouchable) and we're down to 31. The two Zappa's are off the table as I would imagine are the two Tull's. 27. Subtract the 9 "Warner" titles already released and you're getting down to James Taylor, Dionne Warwick and Seals & Crofts.

The Atlantic side of the ledger doesn't leave much to be desired either. I never did quite understand that - the company that had multitrack a solid decade before any other major label.... barely dipped their toe into Quad.... and then had most of those early multitracks burn in a fire in the late 70's shortly after the Quad era. Big wasted opportunity if you ask me.

SO, the powers that be are going to have to dig deeper for some of those fabled unreleased titles.... or start remixing from what multitracks exist if they want this program to continue. Since it seems things have gone suddenly silent since the last batch.... I'm going to speculate that's exactly what's happening. Vaults are being combed through and multitracks/rights/royalties are being sorted out.

and remember, they have to have artist management approval, so the 'good stuff' is going to be hard to get, if possible at all. Although I have no idea why these old farts would object to selling physical product when no one is selling it anymore anyway. Why not make a few bucks for the CPAP machine? :ROFLMAO:

Thanks to Mark Anderson, we know WEA prepped a few titles for Quad that never got released - the Beach Boys’ “Good Vibrations” best-of, Aretha’s “With Everything I Feel In Me”, ”Gord’s Gold”, Bonnie Raitt’s “Takin’ My Time”, to name a few. If they could unearth some of these, it would be great. We’ve already seen MC releases of other albums from artists like ELP & Billy Cobham.

I’m also curious how they got hold of the War quad masters. Can they get hold of the unreleased quad mix of “Deliver The Word” as well? What about other Liberty/UA artists like Canned Heat, Buddy Rich, Ike & Tina and The Ventures?

They could also do a Quadio Eagles box, with the 2 released + 2 prepped but unreleased titles. That would move the needle.

Pie in the sky 😊

I’m also curious how they got hold of the War quad masters. Can they get hold of the unreleased quad mix of “Deliver The Word” as well?
That title was released on Q8

Per Wikipedia:

A 4-channel surround sound (quadraphonic) mix was also released for the album in the 8-track tape format (United Artists UA-DA128-H),[3] featuring a different track order, a reprise of "H2Overture" with early fade-out, and an early fade-out of "Gypsy Man".

The problem is, Warner's barely dipped their toes into the Quad pool back in the day. There were only 41 commercially available titles, 5 of which are those "Mystic Moods" albums. So that's down to 36 "rock or pop" titles. Subtract the 5 Sinatra titles (which I would assume are untouchable) and we're down to 31. The two Zappa's are off the table as I would imagine are the two Tull's. 27. Subtract the 9 "Warner" titles already released and you're getting down to James Taylor, Dionne Warwick and Seals & Crofts.

The Atlantic side of the ledger doesn't leave much to be desired either. I never did quite understand that - the company that had multitrack a solid decade before any other major label.... barely dipped their toe into Quad.... and then had most of those early multitracks burn in a fire in the late 70's shortly after the Quad era. Big wasted opportunity if you ask me.

SO, the powers that be are going to have to dig deeper for some of those fabled unreleased titles.... or start remixing from what multitracks exist if they want this program to continue. Since it seems things have gone suddenly silent since the last batch.... I'm going to speculate that's exactly what's happening. Vaults are being combed through and multitracks/rights/royalties are being sorted out.
Rather than make it sound so dire, Q~Eight, for those who missed it, here's a list of ALL the QUADs from the WEA/ASSOCIATED LABELS:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/WB.htm
IMO, there are still a LOT of quality recordings in their vaults worth releasing.

NOTE: Those recordings designated CNX were never released [like James Taylor's SWEET BABY JAMES]!

Last edited:
I'm no entertainment lawyer but,

Regardless of what label originally released the quad disc back in the 70's, if the artist/production company owns the recording, Rhino could license it for the Quadio series. On the old discs, look for the (p) (in circle) for who owns the recording, the Publishing rights holder. (The (c) is for the copyright holder of a particular _release_ of the recording.) If you don't see a (p) for the Major Record Company, it is likely owned by the artist or producer.

The Chicago quad albums were originally on Columbia (now part of Sony). The publishing right stated on the War Quadio is "Far Out Productions, Inc....under exclusive license to Rhino...". Many 70's acts have regained control of their catalogs.

Yes, quad titles owned outright by Rhino may be getting fewer, but who knows what licensing deals they may arrange.

And there are still two unreleased WAR QUAD titles formerly on the United Artists label which are now controlled by WEA:

WAR -
Deliver the Word. United Artist USTQ-128-QF (QR), UA-DA128-H (Q8)
Live (Complete). United Artist [2 LP] UA-DA1930-P (Q8)

Live Vol. 1. United Artist UA-DA1931-H (Q8)
Live Vol. 2. United Artist UA-DA1932-P (Q8)
The World is a Ghetto. United Artist USTQ-5652-QF (QR),
UA-DA178-H (Q8)

I do hope for something previously unreleased. AF was able to give us a couple like that. I am sure there is good stuff headed our way otherwise Rhino would not have made the effort for a multi year program of releases.

I’m also curious how they got hold of the War quad masters. Can they get hold of the unreleased quad mix of “Deliver The Word” as well? What about other Liberty/UA artists like Canned Heat, Buddy Rich, Ike & Tina and The Ventures?
Rhino acquired the rights to the War back catalogue many years ago—or, when War's masters reverted to band ownership, War granted Rhino an exclusive license—just like they did the Chicago catalogue (from Columbia). That's how they're able to release War's UA material, even though it wasn't originally recorded for a Warner label. So, here's what Rhino could release:
And there are still two unreleased WAR QUAD titles formerly on the United Artists label which are now controlled by WEA:

WAR -
Deliver the Word. United Artist USTQ-128-QF (QR), UA-DA128-H (Q8)
Live (Complete). United Artist [2 LP] UA-DA1930-P (Q8)

Live Vol. 1. United Artist UA-DA1931-H (Q8)
Live Vol. 2. United Artist UA-DA1932-P (Q8)
The World is a Ghetto. United Artist USTQ-5652-QF (QR),
UA-DA178-H (Q8)

On the old discs, look for the (p) (in circle) for who owns the recording, the Publishing rights holder. (The (c) is for the copyright holder of a particular _release_ of the recording.)
Not quite. The "phonogram symbol"—℗—denotes sound recording (SR) copyright in the U.S. (and similar copyright in other territories). This can generally be used as a shorthand for, "Who owns the master recording?" Major label deals usually assign SR for all recordings done under contract to the label, rather than the artist, or at least that was the case during the record companies' heyday.

The standard copyright symbol—©—can be used to denote the copyright owner of any number of things pertaining to a composition or release: songwriters, visual artists, liner note authors, etc.

That title was released on Q8

Per Wikipedia:

A 4-channel surround sound (quadraphonic) mix was also released for the album in the 8-track tape format (United Artists UA-DA128-H),[3] featuring a different track order, a reprise of "H2Overture" with early fade-out, and an early fade-out of "Gypsy Man".
I think Wikipedia is wrong, It’s in Mark Anderson’s “unreleased” list. They mixed it, but didn’t release.

Thanks to Mark Anderson, we know WEA prepped a few titles for Quad that never got released - the Beach Boys’ “Good Vibrations” best-of, Aretha’s “With Everything I Feel In Me”, ”Gord’s Gold”, Bonnie Raitt’s “Takin’ My Time”, to name a few. If they could unearth some of these, it would be great. We’ve already seen MC releases of other albums from artists like ELP & Billy Cobham.

They could also do a Quadio Eagles box, with the 2 released + 2 prepped but unreleased titles. That would move the needle.

Pie in the sky 😊

That section of Mark Anderson's wonderful site is actually about quad titles that were announced (not prepped) but never released. Thanks to ForagingRhino we do know that quad mixes of some of these titles (like J Geils' Bloodshot) were actually mixed for quad. Some other titles like the Bonnie Raitt and two unreleased Eagles titles do not appear to have actually ever been mixed, as ForagaingRhino does not find any record of their existence in the WEA vaults.

As for other UA/Liberty artists, that is on a case by case basis. A major chunk of the UA catalog got absorbed by EMI/Capitol when the label went defunct circa 1980. But several artists' catalogs went to other labels (i.e. ELO is now controlled by Sony, Traffic is controlled by Universal, etc...). In 2012 EMI was bought out by Universal. Presumably the Ike & Tina/Canned Heat titles would now be under Universal's control as a check of Apple Music shows both currently being released by Capitol.

You know I know there's all these unreleased quad titles from the 70s but I think it would be quite interesting if any unreleased 5.1 mixes from the 2000s that Rhino may control be released down the line as well...
I wonder if anyone has a list of unreleased 5.1 mixes as extensive as the quad list? Call them "Pentios" 🤪

Damn, these publishing rights issues could drive a man to drink! I’m sure there’s a difference between what you want to publish and what you’re allowed legally to publish. I’m guessing Rhino has a lawyer or ten who make sure all that “mine! mine!” noise is taken care of. With all the mergers, rights purchases, deaths and estate issues, it’s a wonder they can hash out anything.

I’m with @JonUrban on this one, though. Given the quality of the quadio releases, who wouldn’t like to have them handle a few hundred more discs?

With all that, I wonder if they might be looking outside the Warner box for material.

Back