Quadio bundle #4. Let the speculation begin!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Wikipedia is wrong, It’s in Mark Anderson’s “unreleased” list. They mixed it, but didn’t release.
Looking more closely at Mark's quad listings:

Unreleased - it is the QR of Deliver the Word that was never issued. United Artist USTQ-128-QF (QR)
Popular Discography - lists Q8 tape of Deliver the Word as available. United Artist UA-DA128-H (Q8)

Correction note sent to Mark Anderson: You have the QR listed in both places; please remove QR listings for Deliver The World = The World Is A Ghetto from from the Popular Discography section.

Last edited:
Though most of us probably have a transfer for CCR Gold - but I'd like to hear a crisp remaster of that set. From my understanding no true stereo mix of Proud Mary exists (unless a new Remaster has been released I have not been aware of), unless you fold down the QUAD mix to Stereo. I also love the isolated clapping in Born on the Bayou! Would this be possible?

CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL -
Creedence Gold. Fantasy FPM-4001 (CD4), 7163-4001H (Q8),
CD4W-7113 (CD4) [Japan]

This one might be interesting -but it's not my favorite album (that being FIRST TAKE - which would be kool with the strings/jazz tracks)

ROBERTA FLACK -
Killing Me Softly. Atlantic QD-7271 (CD4), QT-7271 (Q8)

As for others - I think I like what Rhino is doing every quarter - releasing 4 items of mixed genre

Though most of us probably have a transfer for CCR Gold - but I'd like to hear a crisp remaster of that set. From my understanding no true stereo mix of Proud Mary exists (unless a new Remaster has been released I have not been aware of), unless you fold down the QUAD mix to Stereo. I also love the isolated clapping in Born on the Bayou! Would this be possible?

CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL -
Creedence Gold. Fantasy FPM-4001 (CD4), 7163-4001H (Q8),
CD4W-7113 (CD4) [Japan]

This one might be interesting -but it's not my favorite album (that being FIRST TAKE - which would be kool with the strings/jazz tracks)

ROBERTA FLACK -
Killing Me Softly. Atlantic QD-7271 (CD4), QT-7271 (Q8)

As for others - I think I like what Rhino is doing every quarter - releasing 4 items of mixed genre
+1 for both of these, although Fantasy is owned by Concord these days so that could be a hard, fast “no” to Rhino.

As per @ForagingRhino....Rhino Records WEA the following are 'unreleased quad' titles they have ;

Joni Mitchell-Miles Of Aisles
J.Geils Band -Bloodshot
James Taylor-In The Pocket
Foghat -Energized
Dionne Warwick-Track Of The Cat
Rod Stewart-Atlantic Crossing

That's it...Six all told.

(maybe , just maybe , and additional title might be located)

As per @ForagingRhino....Rhino Records WEA the following are 'unreleased quad' titles they have ;

J.Geils Band -Bloodshot
Foghat -Energized

I will definitely gladly take ONE OF EACH.

Thanks for posting!

There is some promise on the horizon though...

I did an artist search on Rhino , and found out that 3 of their aquired artists were involved with quad releases.

Kraftwerk-Autobahn (some albums now streaming in atmos)
Curtis Mayfield-Roots
Curtis Mayfield-Back To The World

And Dolly Parton....but it's uncertain whether or not her RCA quads are now with Rhino. She may have a split catalogue.

There's also the possibility of placing the new 2000s DVD-A 5.1 mix + the 1970s quad mix (+ the restored stereo mix) on a Blu-ray audio (Quintio?).

I bought the B$B Quadio so I could compare the mix to the one on the B$B DVD-A (among other reasons), I also have the Captain and Me on DVD-A and Quadio.

Is there a list of albums for which there was a DVD-A 5.1 (remix?) + a 1970s quad mix (which Rhino currently has access to)?

Kirk Bayne

As has no doubt been mentioned elsewhere on the forum, there are quite a few Warner/Rhino titles that have both a new Atmos mix (released only to the streaming services) and a legacy 5.1 or quad mix.
  • Grateful Dead - American Beauty, Workingman's Dead
  • Joni Mitchell's Court & Spark, The Hissing Of Summer Lawns (and maybe also Miles Of Aisles?)
  • Fleetwood Mac - 1975 self-titled, Rumours, Tusk, Mirage
  • Tom Petty - Mojo
  • The Doors - self-titled through L.A. Woman
  • Talking Heads - entire catalog
  • Carly Simon - No Secrets
  • Neil Young - Harvest
I'm hopeful some/all of these get the Moondance treatment of both surround mixes on a single Blu-Ray.

Does the big fire that wiped out so many tapes, make all of this a problem?
There were two big separate fires that took plenty of master and multitrack tapes. Luckily quad masters for the most part seems to be not what went up in flames for either of them. Many quad titles from Universal owned labels have appeared on silver discs mastered from beautiful first generation tapes. Quad masters from Warner, Atlantic, Elektra, and Asylum appear in good condition and order. Sony/BMG (RCA) appear to be mostly there in good condition when they can be found. Reports from a few years back at Sony were that the library organization leaves plenty to be desired, with several search attempts often required to locate basic things.

The only label I can think which has not had a single quad title appear on modern disc is A&M. I would have liked to hear Joan Baez' "Diamonds and Rust" from a qood quad master. I would assume that one was a real 4.0 quad mix. A&M's quad masters may be now burnt toasted flakes.

Last edited:
Theres hope we will see (hear) Wild Man Fisher after all...
Frank Zappa claimed in an interview that he retained the rights to this album when he and his manager spilt up and the Straight and Bizarre record label catalogs needed to be divided up between them in the settlement. Frank apparently wanted that album which he produced strictly so he could prevent it's reissue from ever happening. No love lost between him and Fisher. Both of the two CD issues of this album (UK and Japan) are unofficial needle drops.

The problem is, Warner's barely dipped their toes into the Quad pool back in the day. There were only 41 commercially available titles, 5 of which are those "Mystic Moods" albums. So that's down to 36 "rock or pop" titles. Subtract the 5 Sinatra titles (which I would assume are untouchable) and we're down to 31. The two Zappa's are off the table as I would imagine are the two Tull's. 27. Subtract the 9 "Warner" titles already released and you're getting down to James Taylor, Dionne Warwick and Seals & Crofts.
And Deep Purple, how could you forget.
The Atlantic side of the ledger doesn't leave much to be desired either. I never did quite understand that - the company that had multitrack a solid decade before any other major label.... barely dipped their toe into Quad.... and then had most of those early multitracks burn in a fire in the late 70's shortly after the Quad era. Big wasted opportunity if you ask me.
Atlantic has been a good source for Quadio releases recently. I can think of several more very strong titles expected, Jazz and R&B in particular, but more Rock and a Pop singer or two.
SO, the powers that be are going to have to dig deeper for some of those fabled unreleased titles.... or start remixing from what multitracks exist if they want this program to continue. Since it seems things have gone suddenly silent since the last batch.... I'm going to speculate that's exactly what's happening. Vaults are being combed through and multitracks/rights/royalties are being sorted out.
Deeper as in Asylum, Elektra, and Grunt, yes I hope so. Maybe Harvest, Parlophone or/and Chrysalis will reveal something quad as well.

But things have not gone silent at all since the last batch. The last batch just arrived in mail boxes this past week. And Steve W has stated that the next four are getting the final touches done on them. That is not exactly suddenly gone dark is it.

Last edited:
A&M's quad masters may be now toasted flakes.
Some of the multitracks went up in the 2008 fire; but they were backed-up onto digital for the 1969-1981 "Singles" DVD. I actually have a copy of the multitrack for "We've Only just begun" and it features both the original and a new stereo keyboard track. A&M was absorbed by Universal so, who knows what's happening with their stuff.

And Deep Purple, how could you forget.

Atlantic has been a good source for Quadio releases recently. I can think of several more very strong titles expected, Jazz and R&B in particular, but more Rock and a Pop singer or two.

Deeper as in Asylum, Elektra, and Grunt, yes I hope so. Maybe Harvest, Parlophone or/and Chrysalis will reveal something quad as well.

But things have not gone silent at all since the last batch. The last batch just arrived in mail boxes this past week. And Steve W has stated that the next four are getting the final touches done on them. That is not exactly suddenly gone dark is it.

Didn't forget about The Purple. Are they under the Rhino umbrella? Was kind of under the impression that they were off the table and it had been confirmed that "Burn" was never actually done. :cry:

Looking at the list of Quad Atlantic stuff, I'm unimpressed by what I see. The Spinners and AWB are about all I'd spend money on.

Grunt is Airplane and Hot Tuna and a single album by Papa John Creach. Again, nothing that lights my loafers on fire.

I have different tastes I guess than the average Quaddie. I'd like to get the Paul Simons, the Edgar Winters, the Johnny Winters, the Aerosmiths, The Eagleses.... I could live a very happy life without ever having Duke Ellington, Herbie Mann or Peggy Lee in Quad. :ROFLMAO:

Curiously though, I do like the notion that more Project 3 albums might could be in the works from D-V. Comci, Comca.

That is good news though that more is in the pipe. I hadn't heard a peep since the announcement of this last batch. :geek:

Didn't forget about The Purple. Are they under the Rhino umbrella? Was kind of under the impression that they were off the table and it had been confirmed that "Burn" was never actually done. :cry:

Looking at the list of Quad Atlantic stuff, I'm unimpressed by what I see. The Spinners and AWB are about all I'd spend money on.

Grunt is Airplane and Hot Tuna and a single album by Papa John Creach. Again, nothing that lights my loafers on fire.

I have different tastes I guess than the average Quaddie. I'd like to get the Paul Simons, the Edgar Winters, the Johnny Winters, the Aerosmiths, The Eagleses.... I could live a very happy life without ever having Duke Ellington, Herbie Mann or Peggy Lee in Quad. :ROFLMAO:

Curiously though, I do like the notion that more Project 3 albums might could be in the works from D-V. Comci, Comca.

That is good news though that more is in the pipe. I hadn't heard a peep since the announcement of this last batch. :geek:
there's still plenty of WEA Quads i'd love Rhino to give the Quadio treatment, if possible, including any and all Joni Mitchell, any and all James Taylor, any Bread/David Gates, James Gang "Miami", Deaf School "2nd Honeymoon", Robert Mason ft Stardrive "Intergalactic Trot", Sergio Mendes S/T, Spinners "New & Improved" & "Pick Of The Litter", Herbie Mann "Reggae", Bette Midler "Divine Miss M.", Donny Hathaway "Extension Of A Man", Roberta Flack "Killing Me Softly", Dionne Warwick(e) "Then Came You", both SHF Band Quads and both Graham Central Station Quads.

of those you most desire, it's really only the Eagles-es that are the holdout's'es!

2 of the 3 Paul Simons-es (plus S&G's'es BOTW), all bar 1 of the 5 Edgar Winters-es, all 3 Johnny Winters-es and all 3 Aerosmiths-es (catalogue since moved to UMG and the Quads now removed from streaming services, sadly) got either Dolby Audio-ized on Apple Music and/or given the Sony 360 RA treatment on Tidal.. and the latter, properly decoded, when you ditch the extraneous synthesized Height channels etc and get to the core 4-channel Quad mixes, all those Quads are all there in all their (mostly) unvarnished discrete mastertape glory 🤩

ok, those Sony owned Quads are streaming only at this point, i'm sure most of us would prefer SACDs/Blu-ray's but for now it'll have to do. while not on Dutton Vocalion, Audio Fidelity or even Rhino levels, for my money most are leaps and bounds better sounding than the old SQ LPs or Q8 tapes, so i'm happy 😋

J.Geils Band -Bloodshot
Foghat -Energized

If I could only pick one from this batch....a tough choice for sure....I think it would be Rod Stewart. I'm not sure Rod had any quad releases back in the day. So this would be a nice get!

That additional Joni would pair well with Court and Hissing for a small, but nice, box set! Same goes for JT. Rhino did such a stunning job on Chicago and Doobies! (I still think Carly Simon would make the best box set, though. 4 + her greatest hits. 🙂)

Last edited:
there's still plenty of WEA Quads i'd love Rhino to give the Quadio treatment, if possible, including any and all Joni Mitchell, any and all James Taylor, any Bread/David Gates, James Gang "Miami", Deaf School "2nd Honeymoon", Robert Mason ft Stardrive "Intergalactic Trot", Sergio Mendes S/T, Spinners "New & Improved" & "Pick Of The Litter", Herbie Mann "Reggae", Bette Midler "Divine Miss M.", Donny Hathaway "Extension Of A Man", Roberta Flack "Killing Me Softly", Dionne Warwick(e) "Then Came You", both SHF Band Quads and both Graham Central Station Quads.

of those you most desire, it's really only the Eagles-es that are the holdout's'es!

2 of the 3 Paul Simons-es (plus S&G's'es BOTW), all bar 1 of the 5 Edgar Winters-es, all 3 Johnny Winters-es and all 3 Aerosmiths-es (catalogue since moved to UMG and the Quads now removed from streaming services, sadly) got either Dolby Audio-ized on Apple Music and/or given the Sony 360 RA treatment on Tidal.. and the latter, properly decoded, when you ditch the extraneous synthesized Height channels etc and get to the core 4-channel Quad mixes, all those Quads are all there in all their (mostly) unvarnished discrete mastertape glory 🤩

ok, those Sony owned Quads are streaming only at this point, i'm sure most of us would prefer SACDs/Blu-ray's but for now it'll have to do. while not on Dutton Vocalion, Audio Fidelity or even Rhino levels, for my money most are leaps and bounds better sounding than the old SQ LPs or Q8 tapes, so i'm happy 😋

R.71f6e62486688894da0d3224d20de360
THE JAMES GANG
Like Fredblue sez: "RHINO, BRING ON THE BIG GUNS!"

Back