External Blu-ray Player Recommendations for Ripping Blu-ray discs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlantasteve

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I have been unhappy with my LG external bluray player to rip MCH and movies. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable external bluray player?

I have been unhappy with my LG external bluray player to rip MCH and movies. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable external bluray player?
I have been using an ASUS external blu ray drive for over 3 years with no issues, but I see my model is no longer available. Here's a link to what is available from them, check out the specs, I'm sure they will all do what you need..

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C...ay-Drive/filter?Series=External-Blu-ray-Drive

Last edited:
An external will need to use USB 3.0 or thunderbolt. USB 2.0 would have speed issues. Panasonic makes most if not all of the drives themselves. I'd probably just buy one from them. They're around $80 nowadays. I'm still using a SATA connecting internal in my Mac Pro. Guess it's about 10 years old now!

I am planning to buy an external drive for a new PC-based streamer that I am building. I will be choosing among AC-powered drives, probably Panasonic or ASUS.

commiserations I just have to comment that I am in the same dreary boat
I am ready to do the "Office Space" jig on this piece of sh1t Nolyth external
I thought I was getting a good deal but now I know I was foolin myself theres a lotta such crap in amazon

I ended up with this. https://www.asus.com/us/motherboards-components/optical-drives/external-blu-ray-drive/bw-16d1x-u/ A little clunky but works well.
710Y2pJY9sL._AC_SX569_.jpg

No one still uses a desktop with an internal drive?
I have an internal LG BD drive, but as big as my case is, and stuffed full of HDD's, there's literally no open bays. So I just run the cabling out the back and sit it on top. I also have an external Verbatim drive (rebadged Pioneer) but it's slower than smoke off molasses.
Both rip fine, though.

Back