Moody Blues Boxset with 5.1 DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hang on - so there is a "limited edition" including a C120 that has not actually been anywhere? "Free thin cassette tape" is not something that would incentivize(?) me very highly.....
It's like something being advertised as a "genuine replica". Sheesh.

haha! :D in the words of Steve Martin in 'The Jerk'.. "step right up and win some crap..!" :ugham:

Hang on - so there is a "limited edition" including a C120 that has not actually been anywhere? "Free thin cassette tape" is not something that would incentivize(?) me very highly.....

Its probably included as the equivalent to 24-bit/96kHz Hi-Res for the MP3 generation!

They were running low on marbles, coasters and scarves in the "super deluxe box set" factory but they had a load of old cassettes lying around, so.... :mad:@:

"Four Ears" is a Brit expression. We Yanks were fearful that such verbiage would inhibit sales.

tubular_bells_2210.jpg

Folks used to joke =
"Quad : For people with 4 ears"

Nowadays its =
"mp3 : For people with no brains"

Someone on the Steve Hoffman forum has received their box set. I asked them if the 5.1 DVDs were DVD-As or just DVD-Vs, and the person said they were DVD-Vs.

Now I don't want to take their word for it 100% yet, but if it is indeed true, there will be many an angry person on this board...

Someone on the Steve Hoffman forum has received their box set. I asked them if the 5.1 DVDs were DVD-As or just DVD-Vs, and the person said they were DVD-Vs.

Now I don't want to take their word for it 100% yet, but if it is indeed true, there will be many an angry person on this board...

quelle surprise.... :mad:@:

I bought WYWH the first day it was out. All the discs came in white cardboard sleeves. On the other hand, I bought DSOTM the first day and had to open three to get one with discs that wereun't scratched. The Wall was fine, too. After having dumped nearly $300 on Floyd, I had indeed lost my marbles.

Even at $150, I can't justify buying these Moodies in surround for the third or fourth time. It would be the seventh or eighth time for most, including 1/2 speed, LP, Gold and regular CD's.

Mine had no protective sleeves, were all scratched at bottom of box.

The SACD appears to be the same mix.

As far as is known, only one 'master mix' of each album was assembled, anything else extraneous was probably wiped. Tony Clarke was nothing if not meticulous, and the band approved the mixes he and Derek Varnals made. I also recall Justin Hayward saying something on his website back when the SACD's were issued about how he went back to 'revisit' the quad master tapes and how nice it was to hear them again, so we know, therefore, he heard them back in the day, too.

ED :)

As far as is known, only one 'master mix' of each album was assembled, anything else extraneous was probably wiped. Tony Clarke was nothing if not meticulous, and the band approved the mixes he and Derek Varnals made. I also recall Justin Hayward saying something on his website back when the SACD's were issued about how he went back to 'revisit' the quad master tapes and how nice it was to hear them again, so we know, therefore, he heard them back in the day, too.

ED :)

great info Ed, thank you (y)

bit confused tho., are you saying the multitracks for the albums were wiped and all that's left now are mono, stereo and quad mixdown masters?

I guess that figures as to why there haven't been any 5.1 remixes of these albums for SA-CD, only 5.1 repurposing of the quad mixes.

I have the SACD's; I'm not going to bother with the DVD-A's, if that's really what they are. The mixes on the SACD's were originally intended for release as SQ LP's, and in many cases they mix to optimize the quad effect from that system. Still, while the mixes may not be ideal, any surround is better than no surround at all. So I'll take what I can get.

Back