Oppo club

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's talking BD 1080p over DVD 480i picture quality. Also, an improvement in sound quality going from the lossy to lossless codecs. Even the BDP-83 would be an improvement.

Oh, I see, you guys think I am playing video on the Oppo 980H, no I have a BluRay player for that, I wrote:

"I set my $49 refurbished LG blue ray player to bitstreaming and it had no problem playing my BluRay of RUSH-2112"

I have that for 1080p and it is good enough for my 46" inch LED TV. If I had a 60" or above newer TV I might need to convince the wife
that we need to get a 1080p player with more quality, but....

4K TV is right around the corner so I think I need to save my pennies for a native 4k player.

Yeah, but why have two players when you can have one good one?

Alas my friend, I was born with audiophile ears and a pauper's bank account. Its also common sense. The most important part of a system is in the D/A converter. Unless I get a BDP 105 I am not really upgrading over the Burr Brown D/A in my 2012 TX-NR717 receiver.
So no upgrade "before" the D/A will do me any good, since I am all HDMI audio.

What do you mean by lossy?

Is your name for Deep Purple's Perpendicular album? That is an awesome record and their best since the 70's, IMHO...

Alas my friend, I was born with audiophile ears and a pauper's bank account. Its also common sense. The most important part of a system is in the D/A converter. Unless I get a BDP 105 I am not really upgrading over the Burr Brown D/A in my 2012 TX-NR717 receiver.
So no upgrade "before" the D/A will do me any good, since I am all HDMI audio.

What do you mean by lossy?

Is your name for Deep Purple's Perpendicular album? That is an awesome record and their best since the 70's, IMHO...

You would love a bdp-95.

Oh, I see, you guys think I am playing video on the Oppo 980H, no I have a BluRay player for that, I wrote:

"I set my $49 refurbished LG blue ray player to bitstreaming and it had no problem playing my BluRay of RUSH-2112"

I have that for 1080p and it is good enough for my 46" inch LED TV. If I had a 60" or above newer TV I might need to convince the wife
that we need to get a 1080p player with more quality, but....

4K TV is right around the corner so I think I need to save my pennies for a native 4k player.

You have a very nice dac-but try analog 5.1 with a lossless album.

Audio compression.

Dude, homey(me) doesn't do lossy.

For SACD, my 980H outputs DSD for the receiver to decode and for DVD-A the Oppo decodes the meridian lossless packaging to LPCM for the receiver to D/A.

You should check out Deep Purple's Purpendicular, it is one of those rare records that can be enjoyed from start to finish (if you skip the first song, ironically...)LOL.

you have analog out puts pn the oppo you have. try them

Oh, I see what you mean... I "had" them connected for several years, to my old Denon circa 2005 receiver.
The Denon couldn't process DSD nor any HDMI audio actually, so I had no choice but to use the 980H's analog 5.1 outs.
It was ok, I did enjoy it. But I do think the Burr Brown D/A in my new Onkyo TX-NR717 receiver is a much better D/A than the cheapish
Cirrus logic D/A in the Oppo 980H. BUT.... Onkyo does not say exactly what the specs are on that specific Burr Brown, so it is still
up for debate. I am alway looking to get the best sound I can...

In my dreams, I have an oppo BDP-105 and that nice Emotiva amp I posted a URL for above...

My Oppo 980H still amazes me after all these years.

They are the teats ok. We had a 970 that kicked ass-it had the best PQ of any dvd machine I had ever seen, plus the ability to do high res MCH. I had the 93 and added the NE mod, that really changed everything. Like you, I'm a low budjet. I saved for a while to get my 93. and then ther mod went on sale. Then the 103 comes along so I let the 93 go to a good home and got my 103. The audio is as good as the NE mod in the 93. MY stuff is nowhere as audiophile as yours, but I like it. I started with my exsisting Integra in 05 with analog, thats all there was. Then went to a Denon a bit older-no HDMI, but I like it! Running Denon 103 watts and all Polk speakers. (5.1)

They are the teats ok. We had a 970 that kicked ass-it had the best PQ of any dvd machine I had ever seen, plus the ability to do high res MCH. I had the 93 and added the NE mod, that really changed everything. Like you, I'm a low budjet. I saved for a while to get my 93. and then ther mod went on sale. Then the 103 comes along so I let the 93 go to a good home and got my 103. The audio is as good as the NE mod in the 93. MY stuff is nowhere as audiophile as yours, but I like it. I started with my exsisting Integra in 05 with analog, thats all there was. Then went to a Denon a bit older-no HDMI, but I like it! Running Denon 103 watts and all Polk speakers. (5.1)

Cool man, thanks for a good picture of where you are coming from. I've been a big time Oppo lurker and have researched Oppo players perhas as much as I listen to music. LOL. I have followed each Oppo player and its included D/A(which can be googled for better details from Cirrus' web site), as well as the nice after market D/A for the 93 and of course Oppo chose to include that in their 103 and up to the MONSTER D/A array in the BDP-105...

For me, everything is all about feeding my Definitive Technology BP2002 Towers as clean & strong a signal I can. :)

There are many mods out there for Oppo's. I have even seen a tube mod! But the only one I trusted was the nuforce as Oppo endorsed it. If you were to do a Google for Oppo mods, I bet you would be as surprised as I was. I have dreams of grand equipment-I call them dry audio-gasms, When I was a kid it was all girls, now the same for audio mags! I am a audio pervert!
love your speakers!!

There are many mods out there for Oppo's. I have even seen a tube mod! But the only one I trusted was the nuforce as Oppo endorsed it. If you were to do a Google for Oppo mods, I bet you would be as surprised as I was. I have dreams of grand equipment-I call them dry audio-gasms, When I was a kid it was all girls, now the same for audio mags! I am a audio pervert!
love your speakers!!

Nothing wrong with girls AND hifi audio. Thanks for all the great info. Sounds like you were blessed(like many here) with a good pair of ears and just want good sound. I am surprised more people aren't into that and settle for their "ipod" style audio.... By the way, I have seen my DT 2002 towers sell for like $500 a pair, used. I still LOVE my speakers, the only fault is that they are so big. Today's DefTech are SO much smaller but not necessarily that much beter sounding...

Rock On Dude!

P.S. yes, I will always be saving for a future Oppo. maybe the next gen that can play 4K video which I think wil be here sooner than later...

After reading so many reports on how wonderful an Oppo 105 sounds directly connected to a power amp via the analog outs, I tried it with my Parasound Halo A51 and the reports are correct! It sounds much richer and more natural. I always suspected that the Audyssey software added some digital glare or at least robbed the music of some of its richness, and I was right! Of course, not having a preamp severely limits the number of sources that I can use, but I have a workaround in mind. If it works, then I'm set!
Has anyone used one of these converters?

http://www.showmecables.com/product/Composite-RCA-ands-video-to-HDMI-Upscale-Converter.aspx

Back