Oppo club

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't believe that Audyssey does anything related to that.

of course not. it supposedly should "correct" bad recordings.
there also feature to improve to HiRez playback of mp3 as well :)
i think all such add-ons just useless in most cases. something better than rightly done
recording and decent speakers yet to be invented

of course not. it supposedly should "correct" bad recordings.
there also feature to improve to HiRez playback of mp3 as well :)
i think all such add-ons just useless in most cases. something better than rightly done
recording and decent speakers yet to be invented

Audyssey's a speaker placement and room calibration correction system! its purpose isn't to "correct" bad recordings!! :mad:@:

if you're talking about compressed music enhancers and the like, all AVR manufacturers seem to implement them nowadays.. on my Denon & Yamaha AVRs they both seem to make everything louder, brighter and boomier - awful.

It sets delay-distance-and EQ .Something that I feel should be done manually. Most members here avoid it anyway. I like doing my own. It's fun. Nothing can make poor productions sound better.
Why? Is your tape measure more accurate? How can you "measure" the distance for an active subwoofer that has a latency due to its built-in circuitry? How do you set up EQ? All this can be done manually but it takes a lot of experience and good measurement tools.

Audyssey's a speaker placement and room calibration correction system! its purpose isn't to "correct" bad recordings!! :mad:@:

No, its purpose is to correct colorations from 'bad' loudspeakers and rooms, at your listening position. Truly bad recordings will still sound bad.

that's right. for initial setting, owners uses it as calibration tool.
but on top of this there are options in Audyssey to tweak sound during playback, which lots of folks use
on permanent basis due to poorly done recording or dull sounding speakers.

Why? Is your tape measure more accurate? How can you "measure" the distance for an active subwoofer that has a latency due to its built-in circuitry? How do you set up EQ? All this can be done manually but it takes a lot of experience and good measurement tools.
you really believe Audyssey is accurate and precise tool?
after Audyssey tried convince me that my front pair of speakers with 12" woofers, 7½ mid and about 50kg each
are small bookshelves, it had lost all credibility in my eyes.

that's right. for initial setting, owners uses it as calibration tool.
but on top of this there are options in Audyssey to tweak sound during playback, which lots of folks use
on permanent basis due to poorly done recording or dull sounding speakers.
Really? I direct you to this page (http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/avr-audio) which lists the various Audyssey options (and they are options, not required). None target poor recordings.

you really believe Audyssey is accurate and precise tool?
Yup and I have confirmed this with many measurements over the years. Even better with the Pro option.

after Audyssey tried convince me that my front pair of speakers with 12" woofers, 7½ mid and about 50kg each
are small bookshelves, it had lost all credibility in my eyes.
Now, I know you are going to say that my comment is merely semantics but it is well known by anyone who has looked into it that:
1. The determination of SMALL vs. LARGE is determined by the manufacturer of the AVR or prepro and their standards vary considerably.
2. Even large and potent speakers can have poor low frequency response as a consequence of unfortunate room placement.
3. Whatever setting is determined at setup can be overridden easily and without negative consequences.

You have every right to your opinion but get the facts right.

I have tried Audyssey when I got my then (approx 6 years ago) new Denon receiver. I found it totally worthless - in my ears it took away the most shimmering heighs and the most vibrant lows and it also narrowed the sound stage. These multichannel calibrators might have gotten better but I guess I am a no believer.

However I have experienced a rather expensive two channel set up (not in my home though) with room correction where I actually preferred to use the correction mode rather than the flat one.

The only area in my multichannel setup where I feel the need to do some room correction is the subwoofer output. This is since one year back taken care of by my magic little friend DSPeaker, connected between the receiver and the subwoofer, and I am really happy with the result.

No, its purpose is to correct colorations from 'bad' loudspeakers and rooms, at your listening position. Truly bad recordings will still sound bad.

we're BOTH right! Audyssey's own description of their MultEQ..

"Optimize your system. Every room has acoustical problems that affect the sound quality of your home theater system. MultEQ calibrates your speakers and equalizes your system to optimize the sound for your space."

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

ps. i understand that almost any room is bad/less than ideal.. but what constitutes a "bad" loudspeaker?

wow, this thread went seriously off-topic... :mad:@:

I have tried Audyssey when I got my then (approx 6 years ago) new Denon receiver. I found it totally worthless - in my ears it took away the most shimmering heighs and the most vibrant lows and it also narrowed the sound stage. These multichannel calibrators might have gotten better but I guess I am a no believer.

However I have experienced a rather expensive two channel set up (not in my home though) with room correction where I actually preferred to use the correction mode rather than the flat one.

The only area in my multichannel setup where I feel the need to do some room correction is the subwoofer output. This is since one year back taken care of by my magic little friend DSPeaker, connected between the receiver and the subwoofer, and I am really happy with the result.

I had a similar experience with a Denon AVR with Audyssey MultEQ that I got about 4/5 years ago and have posted here about it. Treble was seriously rolled-off, just as you describe but bass was bloated and boomy. I tried many times with the setup mic and with different speaker placement/furnishing placement in the room but to no avail, result was the same every time and so it remains off to this day. YMEqMV! ;) :eek:

I've heard a few. What are you using? :eek:

it was the fixing of "bad loudspeaker coloration" notion with regards to AVR's room correction & EQ setup shenanigans that I was struggling with.

of course I realise & accept that all speakers have their limitations etc and no speaker is perfect and that there are loads of speakers that 'under-perform' (in all sorts of ways, whether we're talking about frequency response, imaging, power handling, etc..) but I don't agree that it is the job of Audyssey (or any of the other room EQ routines built into AVRs nowadays, whether proprietary affairs such as Yamaha's YPAO or Pioneer's MCACC or the likes of Audyssey that's used by Denon/Marantz, Onkyo, etc.) to rectify "bad" or 'poor' speakers.

Audyssey's MultEQ and its variants and its competitors are there to cure problematic rooms & things like less than ideal speaker positioning - the people behind these EQ technologies say so themselves, as I referenced Audyssey's own blurb in my previous post here in this thread.

I don't profess to be running "good speakers" in a perfect listening environment by any means.. I'd like to meet the man who does. I expect Audyssey etc to overcome the shortcomings of my room & speaker layout but not the shortcomings of my speakers, I'm aware of how imperfect they are.. for one thing they're anything but 'flat', tuned to be warm-sounding with a notched treble, it'd be unfair to expect Audyssey to 'cure' the speakers' own sonic signature as they were designed to perform.. however, I have a problem with an auto-EQ setup routine that then rolls off the top-end of such warm speakers even further, needlessly boosting their bass and killing what treble response they have by massively cutting it.

By my observation and in my humble estimation, if Audyssey was designed to 'improve' speakers then in my situation it would 'flatten' them by taming their bass and boosting their treble, when it does the exact opposite for me in my listening environment with my speakers & cabling etc., I don't like the results, so I don't use it but I'm sure it works for a lot of people and they're very happy with it and I'm happy for them! :)

Hiya all... I haven't gone through all the posts here yet, but a user (leevitalone1) recently recommended getting an Oppo and was wondering if someone could recommend a model, sorta entry-level (by which I guess I mean, affordable) .... my monster car payments will end in December and will need to do something to celebrate :)

Many thanks to anyone with a suggestion!

Hiya all... I haven't gone through all the posts here yet, but a user (leevitalone1) recently recommended getting an Oppo and was wondering if someone could recommend a model, sorta entry-level (by which I guess I mean, affordable) .... my monster car payments will end in December and will need to do something to celebrate :)

Many thanks to anyone with a suggestion!

I would look for a used 93. They are all over the place for sale-try e bay. alos look in the avs forums under video scources. I sold mine there actually the 1st day it was posted. But I had the NE mod in it. You can also find the older models cheaper-I see them also. No blu ray-but great audio.

Kudos! Awesome job, man. :phones

:)

Thank you my good man, and may I point out that you are kind as your name is classically elegant and your avatar is technically exquisite(nice electrostats...)

...sorry I mistyped, I have a 980H... but I'm so happy the back of my sound system has like only two cables..(one HDMI for Oppo and another HDMI for the bluray player...):banana:

Back