Oppo club

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would look for a used 93. They are all over the place for sale-try e bay. alos look in the avs forums under video scources. I sold mine there actually the 1st day it was posted. But I had the NE mod in it. You can also find the older models cheaper-I see them also. No blu ray-but great audio.

Far be it for me to differ with my fine friend from the North, but I dare say it is indeed a tradeoff.

The new line is sonically better but has less of the magic features that we all love as Oppo is conforming more & more to Hollywood's lawyers

The older stuff has more functionality like region free and playing from ISO images, etc....

But....The new BDP-103 strikes me as especially worthy since it has built in, the fine D/A mod that BDP-93 users had to pay extra and have installed.
So its sound will be fabulous, right out of the box.

Without saying if you can afford it, the D/A quality of the new BDP-105 is unequalled and is the way to go if you intend to output analog 5.1 to your amplifier.

If you plan to go HDMI(like I did recently) you really could get any Oppo, since the Oppo will just be reading the digital bits from the disc.

whatever your budget or circumstance, just make ure you do one thing. BUY an Oppo!

Far be it for me to differ with my fine friend from the North, but I dare say it is indeed a tradeoff.

The new line is sonically better but has less of the magic features that we all love as Oppo is conforming more & more to Hollywood's lawyers

The older stuff has more functionality like region free and playing from ISO images, etc....

But....The new BDP-103 strikes me as especially worthy since it has built in, the fine D/A mod that BDP-93 users had to pay extra and have installed.

Without saying if you can afford it, the D/A quality of the new BDP-105 is unequalled and is the way to go if you intend to output analog 5.1 to your amplifier.

If you plan to go HDMI(like I did recently) you really could get any Oppo, since the Oppo will just be reading the digital bits from the disc.

whatever your budget or circumstance, just make ure you do one thing. BUY an Oppo!

Correct. The 103 is equal to the 93 with the NE mod. For the same money as the 93. The 105 however is a sonic wonder with excellent dacs. And balanced stereo output. True the ISO was removed but there are other methods of use that are avail. that are just as good. Me, I'll never buy another brand ever. If not for QQ I would have never known of Oppo.

http://estore.nuforce.com/oppo-bdp-93-to-bdp-93-nuforce-edition-upgrade/

Last edited:

The audio streaming capabilities of the 103/105 are more advanced than on the previous series and there are useful additional digital inputs on the 105.

The audio streaming capabilities of the 103/105 are more advanced than on the previous series and there are useful additional digital inputs on the 105.

So, are you saying I now need to ditch my 95 and get a new 105? :(
Will I hear any difference thru the 5.1 analog?

I think the 105 analog section is improved over the 95. Plus kal is describing the fact that the dacs can be used with different scources, like your pc or outboard music player. The 105 has very high end dacs.

I think the 105 analog section is improved over the 95. Plus kal is describing the fact that the dacs can be used with different scources, like your pc or outboard music player. The 105 has very high end dacs.

The 105 has the same DACs as the 95. Oppo claim that the circuitry around them has been more optimised in the 105 so they sound better. Personally I doubt very much that it's worth it to upragde from my 95 since I don't need the digital inputs. Also the 105 is inflicted with Cineavia whereas the 95 is not.

The 105 has the same DACs as the 95. Oppo claim that the circuitry around them has been more optimised in the 105 so they sound better. Personally I doubt very much that it's worth it to upragde from my 95 since I don't need the digital inputs. Also the 105 is inflicted with Cineavia whereas the 95 is not.
I agree that, for your needs, no change is needed. For me, the ability to stream MCH DSD is important and video is not. It is sad that so many seem to think that there has to be one single solution for everyone.

Silver is back. Do you think the rack mounts would look good on it (they are black, I assume)?

Was just gifted a BDP 95; awesome player; 1 minor glitch; my Denon S301, doesn't "read" DVD/A, & SACD, through Optical connector, & doesn't have an HDMI input, only output. No biggie, but wish there was a fix.
Any ideas?

Was just gifted a BDP 95; awesome player; 1 minor glitch; my Denon S301, doesn't "read" DVD/A, & SACD, through Optical connector, & doesn't have an HDMI input, only output. No biggie, but wish there was a fix.
Any ideas?

pretty sure you can't send DVD-A Advanced Res or non-hybrid/single layer SACD from any player to any AVR/HTIB via optical. I think a new Receiver is your only option but more technically minded members will no doubt chip in if I'm wrong.

Thanks, guys; just received the same info from Oppo; what's strange, is that the optical connect SUPPORTS DTS/5.1
Oh well, just have to eventually upgrade, to a TRUE 5.1 system
Too bad the DVD player in the Denon is kaput; it actually played every format, except Bl-Ray

I've never got to the bottom of whether its a simple question of bandwidth limitation or a security/encryption thing? told you I wasn't technically-minded.. I just know I tried about 10 years ago playing some DVD-A's and SACD's through optical and the DVD-A's only came out in Dolby Digital and some of the SACDs didn't work at all and others were just CDs.. in the last few years I've since sussed kinda why/how but still unsure about exact details! :eek:

DTS and Dolby Digital are lossy codecs and fit the pipe as it were. DVDA and SACD require bigger pipe and watermark security scheme on the former.

Back