Universal Japan SHM-SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience, any quality music sounds better after multiple plays as your brain becomes more familiar with the nuances of the performance. I think it has less to do with the format and more to do with the listening (also no science behind this opinion.) :)

It depends. Sometimes the differences between an earlier version of an album and a new one really jump out at you on first listen.

It depends. Sometimes the differences between an earlier version of an album and a new one really jump out at you on first listen.

At risk of steering us further off topic, I'll just clarify that I'm not talking about comparing an album with any other version of the same album. I'm only trying to address the phenomenon of the same disc "improving" after several listens (given it is played from a well "seasoned" DAC.)

If you want to debate this further, we should probably move to a different forum and thread.

Looks like Dire Straits Brothers In Arms is already out of print on the SHM SACD. Acoustic Sounds seems to have a few left. Scary isn't it? You just can't wait very long to buy SHM SACDs, or the platinum SHM CDs.

I think the above mentioned Pretzel Logic is out of print too.

Looks like Dire Straits Brothers In Arms is already out of print on the SHM SACD. Acoustic Sounds seems to have a few left. Scary isn't it? You just can't wait very long to buy SHM SACDs, or the platinum SHM CDs.

Hence my rule, buy the SACDs you want when you see them In Stock!

You can still get Pretzel Logic...I have one on order.... but you have to wait before they send it HERE...same goes with Dire Straits here patience will be rewarded

You can still get Pretzel Logic...I have one on order.... but you have to wait before they send it HERE...same goes with Dire Straits here patience will be rewarded
Well, if you believe they will eventually get one in stock. Shouldn't ever take 2-4 weeks.

Well, if you believe they will eventually get one in stock. Shouldn't ever take 2-4 weeks.

I think they will fill the order...they must also feel that way or they wouldn't have gotten authorization on my credit card and processed the order and assigned it an order number...now when amazon tells me that I am skeptical....we will see

I got notified about that several days ago...I waited too long to pull the trigger...it's going to cost me more now...

$60 at Acoustic Sounds. Buy a 2nd item to get free shipping. The platinum SHM CD is $30.50 and in stock at CD Japan, so that may be an alternative.

$60 at Acoustic Sounds. Buy a 2nd item to get free shipping. The platinum SHM CD is $30.50 and in stock at CD Japan, so that may be an alternative.

I have another source I can get one at that price...what I might do is wait for the next acoustic sounds 10% sale(I would save $6) and that reduces the shipping to $4 compared to the $10 price it usually is...which I can live with...there is really nothing else on that site I want that I can't get elsewhere for less money..

I got notified about that several days ago...I waited too long to pull the trigger...it's going to cost me more now...

If/when they do another round of reissues like they did a few months back, that'll almost certainly be one of them. It'll probably be in a jewel case, but it'll also be less expensive.
Then there's the likelihood of an Audio Fidelity release (E. Scheiner).

If/when they do another round of reissues like they did a few months back, that'll almost certainly be one of them. It'll probably be in a jewel case, but it'll also be less expensive.
Then there's the likelihood of an Audio Fidelity release (E. Scheiner).

From what I have been told those re-issues don't happen very often..I personally don't care about the packaging...jewel box is ok for me. I'll get a copy soon....just curious...do you like the Pretenders disc? I'm really digging it...not a reference type of disc but the best version I have heard so far...

From what I have been told those re-issues don't happen very often..I personally don't care about the packaging...jewel box is ok for me. I'll get a copy soon....just curious...do you like the Pretenders disc? I'm really digging it...not a reference type of disc but the best version I have heard so far...

I think they did a nice job on it. I know I was hearing detail in there that I hadn't heard before. Really nice overall sound.

The Band SHM SACDs are now available from Japan. I ordered The Band by The Band as my first one. Probably should get Islands. Not familiar with it and don't think MFSL MOFI did that one either.

The Band SHM SACDs are now available from Japan. I ordered The Band by The Band as my first one. Probably should get Islands. Not familiar with it and don't think MFSL MOFI did that one either.

You are probably right about Islands not being released in hi rez...that album got bad reviews for the content..it was the last studio album by the original members of the group and it was necessary to fulfill the contract with Capitol Records...the members were going their separate ways...HERE are samples of songs on the original album

I've been thinking about getting one of those...I'm considering Rock Of Ages(because it has The Weight on it)and THE BAND...

Back