Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best bet is to pick up the ones you are interested in. And watch for even more SACDs and DSD Downloads ahead.... :)

Therein lies the problem; I'm interested in about 90 percent of what I see being released. Between the surround releases and all the stereo SACD releases, it's definitely an overload for me.

Patsy Cline "Greatest Hits". Great disc other than cover versions of several songs. I miss the steel guitar on Walkin' After Midnight. Yes I can listen to this disc over and over with no problem and I wish Mobile Fidelity would learn how to make discs' that sound as good as this one.

Carpenters-Singles 1969-1973...excellent disc(ducks head and looks around for LUTE)
Here's my sloooow ball...

I love this disk, TOO! :bounce

It really is a shame that they cancelled the second SHM-SACD.

Actually, I missed this post the other day. Just found it. Boy! Things move by quick around here.

Or...maybe I am getting slow. :yikes You snooze...you lose, right!

Here's my sloooow ball...

I love this disk, TOO! :bounce

It really is a shame that they cancelled the second SHM-SACD.

Actually, I missed this post the other day. Just found it. Boy! Things move by quick around here.

Or...maybe I am getting slow. :yikes You snooze...you lose, right!

Agreed. An excellent SHM-SACD - I had the second one on pre-order when Universal Japan cancelled it. Boo!

How's the sound on this, Clint? Thx! (y)

I waited to respond on this because I wanted various listens...and I wanted to compare it to a Clapton Cd I have...the short answer is save your money..I'd pass on it unless you have no Clapton(which I know you have)..IMO the 1982 Polydor Cd of Timepieces has the same sound and decent numbers HERE and can be easily had for a few bucks...I didn't have that one to compare this SACD with...but here is the discouraging information...I had another Clapton Cd which has crappy DNR numbers(but great content)HERE and even with the crappy numbers the 4 songs I compared the SACD to sounded exactly the same...if you closed your eyes you couldn't tell the difference between the CD and the SACD...

What I'm saying is the SACD and this CD sound the same..and I'm not even comparing it to the 1982 CD which has better numbers than my CD...I don't think the blame falls on Kevin Gray...it's more the source he was given to work with...IMO...this was a compilation to begin with in 1982...and over the years I would imagine it was made worse by remastering attempts..Kevin was not given the original source material to work with so he probably had very few options...sounds like it was just transferred to the SACD format with little or no improvements...I wasn't expecting much from this title as there wasn't any advertising leading up to this release...it was a marketing afterthought which usually means very little was spent in the production of the title..IMO discs like this just hurt the SACD format...there are already enough critics who consider it a bogus hi rez format and releases like this one only add fuel to the fire...

The Pretenders-Learning To Crawl SACD...this has been getting a lot of play.. the group chose the wrong name...they are NOT pretenders..they are the real deal......I'm actually smitten with Chrissie's voice...never really paid that much attention to this band...but she can rock...no doubt..this is more than a "head bob" disc...I've actually broke out some of my dance steps from "back in the day"...hehe...I better stay away from the windows...don't want the neighbors to faint...from laughter..(note to self...stay away from windows)...

The Pretenders-Learning To Crawl SACD...this has been getting a lot of play.. the group chose the wrong name...they are NOT pretenders..they are the real deal......I'm actually smitten with Chrissie's voice...never really paid that much attention to this band...but she can rock...no doubt..this is more than a "head bob" disc...I've actually broke out some of my dance steps from "back in the day"...hehe...I better stay away from the windows...don't want the neighbors to faint...from laughter..(note to self...stay away from windows)...

It's a great SACD, for sure. I've also picked up the MoFi SACD of the first album a couple of days ago - haven't listened to it yet, though. So now I've got the first three, and I hope the Get Close album comes out before much longer.

Back