Rarities in Multichannel SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did you have a chance to try out the Era/Mass SACD yet, Duncan?

Work got in the way, but I was working from home today so I finally got round to listening to it today. I've only listened to it once so far, but I do like the surround mix, and I prefer the more Classically influenced tracks, one track was a bit too dance for me (that said I do have a CD by Lemon Jelly!). Its not my normal Prog, Folk, Rock, Blues, or Jazz, but overall I like it, its interesting, well played and recorded, and I'm glad to say it wasn't the thrash metal I'd thought it was originally! So its a 7/10.

Another One:
Allan Holdsworth: All Night Wrong
$(KGrHqJ,!ooFHjvkcRoWBR6vWlC7)Q~~60_35.JPG

Is this a Live recording? How's the surround mix?

Mate: - That is the 100 quid question..... Never seen it for a reasonable price... One went for 70 US a while back...

Its supposedly a DSD recording and those SME SACDs are usually great....

Reviews from SA-CD.net?:

Review by Mitch Kolby April 21, 2005 (2 of 3 found this review helpful)

This is probably the best live recording I've ever heard. It was recorded directly in DSD surround and sonics are fantastic. Play this one loudly. If your speakers are up to the challenge, there will be no distortion even at very high volume levels. If you like Allan Holdsworth, this SACD is a must!

Review by Empanadilla September 3, 2009

A very simple but extremely effective Multichannel mix- it is an envolving mix with the cymbals(quite a bit too) and some ambience in the rear channels-if you're looking for swirling effects, forget it. An excellent performance (can't be otherwise from Allan). No crowd noise whatsoever- gotta love those Japanese! Sometimes I think that the gtr is mixed lower than it should be-almost understated...

Another one I want to hear:

You know you're a fanatic when you want to hear an album by someone who was on a dutch "Big Brother" like show,

Sita - Happy:
51WQDKAKf6L._SY450_.jpg
51vDYCMrASL.jpg

From what I've read, Oasis - Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants was scheduled to have a SACD release but it never happened. Does anyone know if this SACD ever got manufactured, or at the very least, if a test disc exists?
oasissacd.jpg

Mate: - That is the 100 quid question..... Never seen it for a reasonable price... One went for 70 US a while back...

Its supposedly a DSD recording and those SME SACDs are usually great....

Reviews from SA-CD.net?:

Review by Mitch Kolby April 21, 2005 (2 of 3 found this review helpful)

This is probably the best live recording I've ever heard. It was recorded directly in DSD surround and sonics are fantastic. Play this one loudly. If your speakers are up to the challenge, there will be no distortion even at very high volume levels. If you like Allan Holdsworth, this SACD is a must!

Review by Empanadilla September 3, 2009

A very simple but extremely effective Multichannel mix- it is an envolving mix with the cymbals(quite a bit too) and some ambience in the rear channels-if you're looking for swirling effects, forget it. An excellent performance (can't be otherwise from Allan). No crowd noise whatsoever- gotta love those Japanese! Sometimes I think that the gtr is mixed lower than it should be-almost understated...

I have listened to some of this. I agree with the comment "if you're looking for swirling effects, forget it." The recording is excellent, but the surround mix is marginal to good at best. Not nothing, but not a whole lot going on in the rears. You can find a copy for sale here:

http://micksmuse.com/product/holdsworth-allan-all-night-wrong-sacd-51

In fact it was Mick himself that allowed me to preview an open copy of this!

Ken

I've have a copy of guitarist Allan Holdsworth's All Night Wrong on the original Single Layer Multichannel SACD. (The SACD was later reissued in Japan on a Hybrid Multichannel SACD.)

This is an excellent direct to DSD live Jazz Fusion recording. I wouldn't go as far as saying it is the best live recording I've heard (as one sa-cd.net reviewer said), but it is right up there.

There is a minimum of crowd noise, but it does pop up from time to time to remind you this is a live recording. The Surround Channels primarily have cymbals and venue ambiance in them. So it's not a super immersive surround mix, but it's very appropriate for the music. If you can find this SACD and like the music, definitely get it. Highly recommended!

All Night Wrong - Cover - 300.jpg
All Night Wrong - Allan Holdsworth (Sony Music Entertainment Japan, Single Layer Multichannel SACD, XSGP 1)

Back