How to get started with multichannel SACD on the cheap?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I discovered I had a few hybrid SACD discs and some of them with multichannel and I thought it might be fun to check out the format. So I bought a $10 Samsung HD950 that I found that has multichannel analogue out. My next step was to try to find a circa-2010 av receiver with analogue multichannel in. Then grab a bunch of speakers, hook it up and that should be it, right? Any things I should be aware of before I'm more than $10 deep in this endeavor?

I discovered I had a few hybrid SACD discs and some of them with multichannel and I thought it might be fun to check out the format. So I bought a $10 Samsung HD950 that I found that has multichannel analogue out. My next step was to try to find a circa-2010 av receiver with analogue multichannel in. Then grab a bunch of speakers, hook it up and that should be it, right? Any things I should be aware of before I'm more than $10 deep in this endeavor?
If your receiver needs digital inputs BDP-s5100 on eBay is the way to go. Regularly goes for 20-40 USD. Hook up HDMI, and you're set.

Edit: Ah, I see you're asking about a receiver. Yeah in theory your statement is correct.

Yup that's pretty much it. Do try to get decent as close as possible to matching speakers. Not just a bunch. For a first timer I might also mention you will need to set up your Sammy in the menu before playing a SACD. That will tell it if how many speakers you have, big or small (bass routing) sub woof or not. You will have to use a TV/monitor for this. After that you might have as a menu option (as my Oppo does) to choose SACD MCH playback automatically. So after that you can just push play & no need for a TV if you don't want to.

Looking forward to your future posts & how things shape up!

If your receiver needs digital inputs BDP-s5100 on eBay is the way to go. Regularly goes for 20-40 USD. Hook up HDMI, and you're set.

Edit: Ah, I see you're asking about a receiver. Yeah in theory your statement is correct.
Yeah, that does seem to be a good way to go if you have newish receiver. I only have stereo stuff at this point.

Yup that's pretty much it. Do try to get decent as close as possible to matching speakers. Not just a bunch. For a first timer I might also mention you will need to set up your Sammy in the menu before playing a SACD. That will tell it if how many speakers you have, big or small (bass routing) sub woof or not. You will have to use a TV/monitor for this. After that you might have as a menu option (as my Oppo does) to choose SACD MCH playback automatically. So after that you can just push play & no need for a TV if you don't want to.

Looking forward to your future posts & how things shape up!
Yes, it will be trial and error using a DVD player in an audio setup. I was wondering if there were any fan favorites for cheap players in the UI department since I doubt my budget will extend to Oppo level.

Oh another tip is EQ on your receiver. A lot of people hate EQ and Room Correction but if you don't have thousands of dollars to spend per speakers it can really make tin cans sounds like decent cans. Especially if your receiver supports EQ'ing each individual speaker.
I can see the DSD purists might be trembling at that suggestion. That would be a great feature to have if I can find a receiver with it in my ~$100 price point.

Yes, it will be trial and error using a DVD player in an audio setup. I was wondering if there were any fan favorites for cheap players in the UI department since I doubt my budget will extend to Oppo level.
Can't say much about the menue UI as any favorites. Generally not discussed much unless it's something someone really hates. I have 10 yo Samsung BD player & the UI is fine. The remote is horrible. The 950 has a decent list of features & specs for being a 2005 model. I'd say go for it.

You can get an idea what the UI & set up is like here:

https://archive.org/details/manualzz-id-3430595/page/73/mode/1up

My breakthrough in quad listening was in about 2008. I had a player with analog outputs and something to play. Found a junky looking Sherwood surround receiver with a universal remote for volume for $50 at a flea market. Sounds fine, but then I had a pair of 15" Scott speakers for front and Advent 1's for rear. Since then I found several receivers for cheap, one was an Onkyo home theater in a box thing with 6 thin small speakers. Gave away the speakers and used four matching Jensens with that one. Found a couple others too. I've found if it has analog multichannel inputs it's going to be fine for quad.
Might have to have the remote and users manual if someone has set up room eq etc.

But yes, some "surround" receivers are truly junk. Two channel in and 5.1 out? Locked in to whatever flavor of Dolby Surround they used.

SACD multichannel on the cheap?! No no no no, my friend: let me tell you how this is all going to pan out, in 10 easy steps:

1) In....let's say 2014...you discover that you have an Elton John and an Eric Clapton multichannel hybrid SACD in one of those strange jewel boxes, which you purchased in 2004. But you never had a SACD player or fancy hifi stereo, so they just lay neatly on the shelf gathering dust, with the other Elton Johns and Eric Claptons.

2) In 2014 you get divorced and move away from your wife, who always thought hifi equipment was ugly shit, that didn't belong in any visible area of the house. You originally discovered the hybrid SACDs because you have to pack everything and move out and you spend too long looking at stuff, instead of just chucking it in boxes. You buy a shack of your own and start drifting by music equipment shops, remembering your carefree days as a teenager, dreaming about a decent hifi set-up. And women. And fast cars.

3) You buy one of those big-ass flat screens, to fill your empty living room, to watch sports and the occasional movie on. You think the sound for movies needs a bit more punch, than for the news. And what about those CD's in the boxes? No wife to give you grief now.

4) You drift down to the Hifi shop and finally settle on a Sonos set-up, because, you know, not too expensive. Sports and movies sound better.

5) You suddenly discover, by chance, that the old blu-ray player you purchased - an Oppo 93, which your wife said was ugly shit - plays SACDs. In goes Elton. But what's this? Multichannel 5.1 surround?! Goodness gracious. But the sound is....well, it's not as good as your friend Erik has, on his hifi with "proper" speakers.

6) Back to the Hifi store. Why certainly, Sir, we can tailor-make a very nice and affordable 7.1 set-up with Dali speakers. But you watch movies, you say? How about a 7.1 set-up? You'll need a better amplifier. And something that can deliver in spades. May I suggest the Denon AVR-X7200WA? It will be able to play Atmos in the future, whatever that is. But why, when you're first getting some halfway decent equipment, don't you pay a bit more for the better Dali speakers? And some B&W active subs. You won't regret it. A steal for $30 000, interest rates are really low, right now, and we'll install it for you. The Denon receiver will even calibrate itself. Sorted!

7) But I only have a few Eltons and Claptons. Let's see...oooooooh...there's this funny website called Quadrophonic Quad. Ooooh...look...they have a hi-rez poll. Goodness me...so many titles. But wait: there are threads devoted to "My best surround SACDs" And what? DVD-audio? Is that a thing? Didn't DVDs have terrible Dolby Digital lossy sound? And what's this? Blu-ray audio from the original master tapes? "Like being in the studio". Steve Hoffman forums. Oh my GOD, the Oppo will play anything! Maybe I should get a new Oppo to play 4K UHD? We are, after all, in 2016. There is a new home theatre dawn. How about a projector for those fabulous hi-rez movies too?

8) All the music stuff I want, went out of print twenty years ago. So that's that. Hey - what's this? Discogs? Why - that's so practical and friendly!

9) Fast forward a few years. The median value of multichannel releases purchased in the last 10 years is $22 759, according to Discogs.

10) When The Who announces a $300 monolith of Who's Next, with a blu-ray audio Atmos mix done by Steven Wilson, you just shrug your shoulders and think, at this stage, I'm too far gone, it doesn't make any difference.

I can't afford a new car or a new wife. But do please stop by for a multichannel SACD and a cup of tea, if you're in the neighbourhood.

Last edited:
Guys you forgot the rabbit hole of sitting for hours downloading multichannel files to stream over his home network from his PC to the Oppo ,dang I need a bigger hard drive .lol

Guys you forgot the rabbit hole of sitting for hours downloading multichannel files to stream over his home network from his PC to the Oppo ,dang I need a bigger hard drive .lol
I do have a NAS and a streaming setup for my stereo files and even my not-very-expensive DAC does do DSD, but only in stereo. I looked for a cheap multichannel DAC but didn’t find anything. Your comment makes me wonder if it’s possible to stream to some disc players. If it’s only Oppo then I’m afraid that will probably be out of my budget, but if it turns out I have to have it then maybe my budget will get a little bump :)

Back