Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 historic Quad mixes (1 unreleased), plus new 5.1 mixes of Meddle and Obscured By Clouds albums

Oh yeah! I'm in big time Baby! :D

That's a dream come true for me. Man am I happy that the people in charge of this set took this seriously.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

OK, lots of surround, and "20+ songs previously unreleased, 7+ hours of previously unreleased live audio performances, 5+ hours of 
rare concert footage.."

OK, the price sucks, but I am among the primary target audience and this is a no brainer for me even at that rate. That's a huge budget bite, but I have been begging for such a collection for years, and in the absence of full detail this seems to be a dream come true. Is the unreleased quad mix Meddle? One presumes so. Obscured By Clouds in 5.1? God let it be mixed by Andy Jackson. OK "Pig"gy Bank, here comes the Hammer, Hammer, Hammer.

Before Pink Floyd's site pulls the info again, here it is:

THE EARLY YEARS BOX SET: 1965-1972
11+ hours Audio (130+ tracks) & 14+ hours Audio-visual material including:

• Comprehensive 27-disc box set, 7 individual book style volumes 

• 20+ songs previously unreleased, 7+ hours of previously unreleased live audio performances, 5+ hours of 
rare concert footage, along with 5 7” singles in replica sleeves, collectable memorabilia, feature films & 
new sound mixes 

• BBC Radio Sessions, remixes, outtakes, & alternative versions over 11 hours of audio (made up of 130+ 
tracks) as well as live TV performance in over 14 hours audio visual 

• Previously unreleased tracks include 1967’s Vegetable Man and In The Beechwoods, which have been 
mixed for the first time specially for this release 

• 2 historic Quad mixes (1 unreleased), plus new 5.1 mixes of Meddle and Obscured By Clouds albums 

• Plus Pink Floyd’s early vinyl singles - the first 5 UK releases, (1967-68) remastered from original tapes, 
original sleeves / heavyweight vinyl / paper labels replicated 

I'm guessing that the quads will be Atom Heart Mother and the unreleased Meddle. I imagine both the quad and the 5.1 were prepared for the aborted Meddle Immersion Edition box.

Regardless, I'm very, very excited about this set. Hopefully the price land somewhere that doesn't require me to sell any body parts.

"How much is this gonna set us back? ...wow."
"How much is "wow"?"
"It's right in between, uh, between "ouch" and "boing.""
"Wow!"

It says 25+ hours of recorded material. At $700 that means $28 per hour. OK, so not cheap, but a single SACD with as much material can cost $30 plus, so I actually think the price is not excessive per se. The real problem for the non-hardcore fan is the inability to cherry pick the material they want. Personally I WILL want it all, but I am sure many here will not...

I know this is expensive, but I'll sell the set because all I want it for is the Quad and the 5.1 mixes. I'll enjoy those so much and I'll play them so often that it will be worth every bloody penny. I've bought the two Immersion sets and The Division Bell set for the Blu-ray discs so this is a no brainer for me. Costly? Hell yes but worth it? You betcha!

Mr. Gilmour has publicly stated the he always makes sure that Syd material is included with any Pink Floyd package to insure that royalties flow to his estate and heirs.

I'm still in shock over the Quad and 5.1 mixes. Actually, I'm foaming at the mouth...

Let's do this right. :)

PF%201_zpsahjhzuep.jpg

PF%202_zpsiw0q0qso.jpg

PF%203_zpsl1vhu82i.jpg

PF%204_zpskty5ouph.jpg

I know this is expensive, but I'll sell the set because all I want it for is the Quad and the 5.1 mixes. I'll enjoy those so much and I'll play them so often that it will be worth every bloody penny. I've bought the two Immersion sets and The Division Bell set for the Blu-ray discs so this is a no brainer for me. Costly? Hell yes but worth it? You betcha!

The Grateful Dead offered a collection that had no surround discs AND one version was a USB drive for about the same price as this Pink Floyd offering...but as I think about the Chicago Quadio Set which recently sold for a delivered price around $88...it brings a huge smile to my face:)...if it's something you really want...then go for it...tomorrow is promised to no one(y)...there are several interest free plans(pay pal credit...amazon store card)that can give you a year to pay...where there is a will...there is a way...

The Grateful Dead offered a collection that had no surround discs AND one version was a USB drive for about the same price as this Pink Floyd offering...but as I think about the Chicago Quadio Set which recently sold for a delivered price around $88...it brings a huge smile to my face:)...if it's something you really want...then go for it...tomorrow is promised to no one(y)...there are several interest free plans(pay pal credit...amazon store card)that can give you a year to pay...where there is a will...there is a way...

Some of the Pink Floyd fans won't care for those mixes and will be very happy to get the set for much less than it goes for.

Tell me guys, honestly, if they put these four mixes on one disc and charged $200 for it, would you go for it? This is how I see it.

Yes, we've been begging for these to be released well now that they are, I'm not going to start crying over the price tag. I'm buying the audio equivalent of a Bentley so yes, it'll cost me a pretty penny, but these will fill many an evening with wondrous delights.

Still, this set makes the King Crimson Super Deluxe Box Sets look like a financial cakewalk in comparison.
Burning Shed are selling the "Larks' Tongues in Aspic" and "THRAK" box sets for around $98 each right now, while the "Starless" and "Road to Red" sets are selling for around $140 each right now.
It really makes me want to send a big thank you letter to Declan Colgan (and others) for offering us so much and yet also keeping the price down at a pretty reasonable cost.
Pink Floyd could learn from King Crimson in this matter…

All this talk has got me so excited that it just dawned on me, the format hasn't been listed (or has it) for the quads and 5.1

Will they be like Immersion's Blu-rays or perhaps DVD-A or SACD?

Also, would love to hear Bike in 5.1 (or even quad) just because the ending, IMO, begs for surround. Actually most of Syd's stuff seems like it was in surround in his head at the time of the recordings. :teleport:

What are we guessing what they mean by "2 historic Quad mixes" then? One would be Atom Heart Mother. AFAIK the Meddle Quad was never released, so maybe Pompeii?

Also, would love to hear Bike in 5.1 just because the ending, IMO, begs for surround. Actually most of Syd's stuff seems like it was in surround in his head at the time of the recordings. :)

Unfortunately all the multi-tracks from the early albums were lost.

I'm guessing they will be on both Blu-ray and DVD-A like the Immersion sets.

I know that, and I think what they mean by "historic" is just a fancy way of saying "previously released".

Um...you've got to be kidding me??? While I scoffed at the price in an earlier post....eh....

I WILL BE ALL OVER THIS LIKE UGLY ON AN APE...WHITE ON RICE! WOW!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::cool::cool::cool::cool::worthy:worthy:worthy:smack::smack::smack::smack::bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce

Back