Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, but not only that but other albums can get green lit for 5.1 because Pepper clued in folks to the magic of surround mixes.

Imagine someone buying the box with 5.1 surround Sgt Pepper - playing it through their home theater rig and being knocked out, then deciding to see what other albums can be purchased in surround. They discover Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Yes, Genesis, Crimson, Jeff Beck, Blue Oyster Cult, Sly and the Family Stone, Doors, Chicago, BS&T and on and on. This is all news to them, and all because they were previously major Beatles fans, and not surround fans.

So this is great news for the 5.1 format for music, it will bring in more potential surround listeners to the fold, especially if the mix is a stunner.

I was thinking about a week ago that it is time for an earth shaking surround amouncement in 4.0 or 5.1. Then we get the Pepper 5.1 news!!!

It's very exciting and shows that surround for music refuses to roll over and die.
I agree with you and appreciate your enthusiasm! but I see one major problem.

Cost.

I have been fortunate and bought a good handful of 5.1 recordings starting in the early 2000's and up through today. I've never paid more than $30 a title. However, as a consumer you have to jump on the initial releases because the manufacturers only do limited runs.

The is no more impressive 5.1 recording than Qudrophenia on Blu Ray. I think I bought it 12-16 months ago. $25. Out of curiosity, I googled it yesterday and found it selling for $200-$400! Best prices! This is but one example.

With Sgt Pepper, you have to go Deluxe pkg at $150 to get the 5.1 and new hi res stereo mix. I don't see the home theater enthusiast ( not bitten by the surround music bug yet) laying out that kind of money before They heard it.

Now, on the other hand, if I was the manager of a Magnolia dept in a Best Buy, I would do a little promotion.

A little investment for in store signage, maybe a local ad, and a special 5.1 audio listening area that would feature and highlight the new Sgt Pepper release. This would probably spark interest for more audio surround titles with Moms and Dads who already have surround systems. More importantly, as it did for me, it would drive me to upgrade my center and surround speakers. The cheaper surround stuff is often sufficient for movies, but tonaly matched speakers make a huge difference in surround music.

Will buy only the Blu-ray with 5.1 mix, no need for anything else on this set.

So far, no buy for me.

Regards,

Unfortunately, I don't believe you will ever see a Blu Ray only release.

Have we seen individual Beatles 2009 mono album releases?

Can you get 1+ Blue Ray only?

I think the industry knows that surround music lovers are rabid, but also have more money than your average music listener. Good surround music sound requires 50-100% more investment in hardware, and for the most part, it's only available in hard media, no downloads or streaming.

They have us by the "you know what's!"

Unfortunately, I don't believe you will ever see a Blu Ray only release.

Have we seen individual Beatles 2009 mono album releases?

Can you get 1+ Blue Ray only?

I think the industry knows that surround music lovers are rabid, but also have more money than your average music listener. Good surround music sound requires 50-100% more investment in hardware, and for the most part, it's only available in hard media, no downloads or streaming.

They have us by the "you know what's!"

Yes, I got the Blu-ray only release of 1+

https://www.amazon.com/1-Blu-Ray-St...d=1491497499&sr=8-1&keywords=beatles+1+bluray

Regards,

That's just "1", that's not "1+"…
You're missing the second Blu-Ray disc that has a lot of extra videos, including videos for songs not featured on the standard "1" release.
There's also some good surround mixes on this second Blu-Ray disc.

Thanks

Don't care about the second disc. Happy with the 1 blu ray release.

Regards,

Ordered mine from Amazon UK...came to £94.74 total which is about $118 U.S. dollars.

I used my Amazon credit card which I think gives me a 5% rebate or points I can use towards another purchase later (which I'm sure I'll make eventually :) ) .

Will keep my eyes open for any better deals certainly, but I have the "benefit" that the release date is very close to my birthday...already hinted about this to my wife ;)...

Like everyone else, I mostly want the surround mix...I sure hope it's good and certainly more discreet than the disappointing 1+ collection.

Jon

My wish has come true, I have canceled my Amazon order and have now ordered the CDJapan, SHM CD version. I had the Black stereo Beatles box set, then CDJapan did a sell out of cardboard mini LP's of the stereo versions of The Beatles Catalog which I bought all. The SHM CD versions where an absolute noticeable improvement. I was hoping that they would offer Sgt Peppers in SHM CD and they have. More expensive than Amazon by $20.00 but I am convinced sight unseen will be better.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-78342

Put it in my cart for $160 or so, then the shipping!!! :eek::eek: Brought it to OVER $200!! I'll have to think more about this option.

Put it in my cart for $160 or so, then the shipping!!! :eek::eek: Brought it to OVER $200!! I'll have to think more about this option.

I can only justify it Jon because this 2017 year I have stopped buying all the Prog Rock 5.1's and my collection is such that I realize I only listen to many titles once or twice, so between saving money, not buying much anymore, it frees me to purchase the iconic stuff from my youth.

My wish has come true, I have canceled my Amazon order and have now ordered the CDJapan, SHM CD version. I had the Black stereo Beatles box set, then CDJapan did a sell out of cardboard mini LP's of the stereo versions of The Beatles Catalog which I bought all. The SHM CD versions where an absolute noticeable improvement. I was hoping that they would offer Sgt Peppers in SHM CD and they have. More expensive than Amazon by $20.00 but I am convinced sight unseen will be better.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-78342

Hmmm that just may be the way to go, thanks for the link

So far, Bull Moose is the cheapest option (for me), though Amazon UK would nearly be identical. Only, they'd take longer to get it to me than Bull Moose would. Now, my Amazon Canada order is by far the cheapest as I got in on the original order price. Again, I have no doubt they will yank my order....so in the end, unless someone drops prices even further - Bull Moose is the winner. :)

I've preordered at Amazon US... I almost always get a partial refund due to their price guarantee, and I want it the day it's released! I'm just hoping the surround mix of Strawberry Fields from 1+ isn't indicative of the new mixes. There's enough cool stuff in this set that I want it either way.

For those of us in the UK/Europe I've ordered mine from Burning Shed £99.99 + £8.50 P&P so £108.49 and the profit goes to a good independent run by musicians, not tax avoiding behemoths!

The contents of this post and yours below give me great (but cautious) hope for this release:

The only thing that's not mentioned anywhere (yet) is whether the new stereo and surround mixes are sourced from the pre-bounce recordings. I'm guessing yes, but would like to see it in words. If memory serves, the Rock Band stems were digitally manipulated to achieve the separations. Of courses, if these are the pre-bounce, there is a lot of room for little "errors" to creep in. No doubt, our forensic friends at SH.tv will perform a merciless autopsy and I'll look on with great interest even though I'm not easily bothered by granular issues.

When this was released on CD in 1987, during the "It was twenty years ago today" blitz, this was the album that shifted me away from then-contemporary pop music. It was my introduction to songs not about he/she/I/you/love/leave. It was also when I was introduced to left/right panning. My mother conspired to let me get a small stereo with money from my first job. I saved up and was able to get a pair of Pioneer speakers on layaway. Once paid off I had to agree to plug in just ONE of them and I had to hide it in a cabinet in my bedroom, playing it only during the afternoon and quietly.

That was how I was how I initially experienced Sgt. Pepper. I was fascinated and perplexed that they bothered to write lyrics to songs like When I'm Sixty-Four but make the song largely instrumental with just occasional vocals. This was before I'd ever heard the word "karaoke" but that's what it seemed like in hindsight. Within a month I'd made a cassette copy for my Walkman. I distinctly remember riding my bike down Arcola Ave. on my way to a friend's house, listening on my cheap orange-padded headphones when I first heard that missing channel. I literally swerved, but didn't fall over.

At sixteen, that "twenty years ago today" seemed like an impossibly long time. Thirty years later it's a blip. I rarely listen to the album or The Beatles. It's enough of my musical heartbeat that my appreciation for it is more autonomic than conscious now. I was excited to get the mono CD a few years ago but have barely touched it -- I kind of like it being a mysterious totem I can explore "someday." In 5.1, though, I can't wait to listen to it, repeatedly. Even if it winds up being glorified "big stereo." Even if that's the disappointing case, I expect that this album's newfound spaciousness will allow its baroque textures to breathe so much better than before. Best of all, I can listen in 5.1(/7.1 upmix) at any volume I choose and hear not just that channel I missed that first month, but little details that have been buried ever since.

I had a similar experience as you. After buying Sgt Pepper on CD in 1987 I then brought Cream and Hendrix on CD and the rest is history, 3000 CDs later.

To the poster waiting for a Blu-ray only, forget it.
And no one really cares if you or me or anyone buys it or not.

Call me crazy but I went for the Japanese version.
Yeah the shipping stung hard but I'm guessing that means the packaging is something special compared to domestic version.
But way beyond packaging and whether this song or that song was or was not included, I think the important point about this set is
that they went back to the multi-track tapes where all of original music was recorded and then transferred to a single single track of
the original 4 track tape that was used to master the final master tape.

This could yield clarity that no one has ever dreamed of for Sgt. Pepper.
As good as the 2009 remasters are this could take that to a whole other level.
And given a 24/96 resolution, surround or stereo this has the potential to redefine what we know of Sgt. Pepper.
That makes it worth it to me.

For those of us in the UK/Europe I've ordered mine from Burning Shed £99.99 + £8.50 P&P so £108.49 and the profit goes to a good independent run by musicians, not tax avoiding behemoths!

admirable, Duncan.. however my cashflows so inconsistent I can't afford to tie up 100's of pounds on preorders every month, so I have to reluctantly give my business to the tax dodgers..

ps. WOW at this news, or what..!?! :yikes
(keeping all me pinkies crossed for a nice set of active surround mixes!)

Back