Oldfield to do 5.1 mixes of older titles

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingresman

300 Club - QQ All-Star
http://www.euphonix.com/news/news2006/071706_mike_oldfield.htm

Found this press release on tubular.net where MO says he is currently mixing in 5.1
I’m currently involved in re-mastering a number of previous projects into 5.1 surround sound,

I belive he doesn't own the rights to anything prior to Tubular Bells 2 so we coud get Tubular bells 3, Guitars, millenium bell, light and shade and maybe songs from distant earth and the celtic one the title of which escapes me

Found this press release on tubular.net where MO says he is currently mixing in 5.1

I believe he doesn't own the rights to anything prior to Tubular Bells 2 ...
This is nice news. I hope we'll get to hear the results one day :cool:

Not having the rights himself does not necessarily prevent a new surround release, but it's unlikely. And Tubular Bell (1) has been redone as the 2003 surround version and there is the original quad version SACD.

I think, we need at first "only" the rereleasing of the other quadraphonic productions as Boxed (beneth Tubular Bells also Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge and Collaborations) and Exposed. And 4.0 is further on a well surround sound. I can not listen, that 5.1 will sound better. So - as excample - my Q4 collection of the Moody Blues sounds a different more clear as the "new" 5.1 version on SA-CD. The namend recordings from M.O. was selled as SQ records, but the mastertapes are all 4.0 discrete. So we could have the best channel separation also by an SA-CD or DVD-Audio with this programm. New mixes are only required for older stereophonic productions - like from Genesis, which we can receive in 2007.

Although this doesn't sound encouraging, he did not say he wouldn't do them. We'll just have to wait and see (as always). It is interesting what he said about the quad version of Tubular Bells. There are definitely parts of TB that are discrete quad, however that could be done by moving one instrument around the room. Anyway, apparently the illusion worked, as I have never been dissatisfied with the original quad mix, although I do like the 5.1 version, it's clarity is amazing. But the original is still my favorite.

The Quadfather

Sorry to drag up an old thread but tubular.net reports that some old MO stuff is coming out over the summer. Apprantly a press release is due on April 1st ?(yoikes !!).
Now I'm putting together 2 and 2 but he has said he's working on 5.1 mixes of old stuff but has also saud he things 5.1 is a gimmick.
Anyhow the article is at http://tubular.net/forums/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=41;t=8942;st=0

Well, by that logic, stereophonic sound was a gimmick, Technicolor a gimmick, widescreen cinema a gimmick (well, Ok, it was, probably still is, but cool for what it can be, so why go there...).

I've wondered for some time if Oldfield was asked to mix TUBULAR BELLS to quad and, in haste, was kind of uncertain about it all, given the work and time spent on finishing the original stereo mix of the album. And as it's always been rumored that he mixed the album *several* times in stereo and then at least twice in quad...and given some of the comments he's made in the past, hard to fathom exactly what it is he might have a problem with beyond spending a lot of time on one collection of musical passages that was early in his career, while he's moved far beyond it, yet never able to escape its shadow.

Anyone ever ask the man if he listened to that quad SACD edition? If so, I'd really dig reading his response if he had one.

ED :)

Back