1/2 Speed CD-4 (recording) ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are plenty of turntables that came with the 16.67 speed:

- I have a Lenco L78 and I used to have a B55. Most other Lenco turntables also had 16 in the 1960s.

- Some Thorens models had 16, 33, and 45 and lacked 78. Thorens TD124 and TD224 have all 4 speeds.

- Garrard models: RC120, RC121, RC210, Type A, A II, AT6, AT6 II, AT40, AT50, AT60, A70, SP20, AT40 II, AT50 II, AT60 II, A70 II, SP20 II, SL55, and SL65.

- Dual made 1005, 1006, 1007, 1008, 1009, 1010, 1011, 1015, 1018, and 1019.

- Miracord made PW9, PW90, PW10, PW10H, PW16, PW40, PW45, PW50H, 620H, and 770H.

- Perpetuum Ebner made Rex Deluxe, PE66, PE2010, PE2015, PE2018, and PE2020.

- Collaro made TSC640, TSC740, TSC840, TC99, S60, and RP59.

- Glaser-Steers made GS77, GS300, and GS400.

- Rec-O-Kut had turntables with 16.

- Stanton had turntables with 16.

- VM, Webcor, BSR, Philips, RCA, Phonola, and others made units with 16 rpm but with lower quality arms.
My point is that no new ones include that speed anymore. Many of the changers on your list are older models, not able to support a magnetic cartridge (either because of mounting constraints, or a hum-inducing 2-pole motor), and a ceramic or crystal cartridge may not have adequate frequency response, even at half-speed. There are no Shibata styli available for them. It would be problematic, at best. Changers from Garrard, Dual, Miracord, and Glaser-Steers could do it, but there are many on your list that can't. Manual tables, like Rek-O-Kut, and that ilk, would be dependent on the tonearm being used.

The Shibata stylus was designed for CD-4 and is still available on some new (stereo) phono carts.

The Stereo Lab software does support 1/2 speed needledrops:
https://pspatialaudio.com/half_speed.htm
(maybe someone here could get the demo version [which, IIRC, includes the CD-4 decoder] and try a 1/2 speed CD-4 needledrop)

Kirk Bayne
🙋‍♂️I'm voting for @fredblue for this, I would, but IINM it's Mac only, I'm Windows...

Freddie?

I've tried my damndest to get @chucky3042 interested in a new Demod., but he's a Matrix man (and he probably doesn't understand it anyway 😄)

My point is that no new ones include that speed anymore. Many of the changers on your list are older models, not able to support a magnetic cartridge (either because of mounting constraints, or a hum-inducing 2-pole motor), and a ceramic or crystal cartridge may not have adequate frequency response, even at half-speed. There are no Shibata styli available for them. It would be problematic, at best. Changers from Garrard, Dual, Miracord, and Glaser-Steers could do it, but there are many on your list that can't. Manual tables, like Rek-O-Kut, and that ilk, would be dependent on the tonearm being used.
All of the ones I listed work with a magnetic cartridge, have a 4-pole or synchronous motor, and have standard mounts. But there were alternate versions of a few of them that had nonstandard cartridge mounts made for consoles (My Collaro TSC640 Conquest came out of a console, but I knew someone who had the version with the standard mount - they had the same motors and wiring). The ones I listed at the bottom had the limitations you mentioned.

I once put an Audio Technical with a Shibata stylus in a Garrard SL-65 headshell for someone (He didn't bring it back to the shop, so I assume it worked). The cables plug right into the bottom of that chassis, so low capacitance cables were not a problem.

16.67 rpm was removed from most turntables around 1970 because Audio Books and Seeburg stopped making records that turned at that speed in the early 1960s. Audio books switched to 8.33 rpm, and sold an adaptor that made a 33.33 rpm turntable turn the adaptor at 8,33 rpm. By 1972, they had switched to cassettes. But I still find 16.67 rpm records at the library.

Last edited:
Back