1st Sony Music DSD Download on Super Hi Rez Web Site

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three more Stereo DSD Downloads arrived today on Super HiRez, continuing to bring the out of print Stereo SACDs to the download world.
The Stereo DSD Download files were created by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center from the original Sony Super Audio CD cutting masters.
  • Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
  • Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin
  • Johnny Winter - The Best Of

Price comparisons from Amazon.Com on the corresponding SACD editions:
  • Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow - $599.99
  • Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin - $77.77 to $315.78
  • Johnny Winter - The Best Of - $79.77 to $246.98

Damn, there goes my early retirement. Now I gotta work another 10 years.

Things are gonna get much more interesting, for me anyway, if/when the old Sony SACD MultiChannel titles start appearing as downloads from Super HiRez.

oh, a question, there are no territorial boundaries with these DSD downloads? Brits & Euro Quaddies can buy them and do what we like with them?

Things are gonna get much more interesting, for me anyway, if/when the old Sony SACD MultiChannel titles start appearing as downloads from Super HiRez.

oh, a question, there are no territorial boundaries with these DSD downloads? Brits & Euro Quaddies can buy them and do what we like with them?

The Sony Multichannel SACDs as DSD Downloads are coming from Super HiRez. As I understand it, the rollout pattern will be Stereo DSD Downloads, then 3 Channel Stereo DSD Downloads and finally Multichannel DSD Downloads.

Last time I checked, Super HiRez is licensed for U.S. and Canada customers only. Although their web site says check back for expansions - so they are exploring that.
(If you visit the Computer Audiophile web site, some of the members there use VPNs and various other workarounds to order downloads outside of the US and Canada).

I should also mention that the upcoming NativeDSD.Com Download site - which will feature only DSD, Analog and DXD Master releases, will be International in scope. So all music fans can purchase from them!
It will feature DSD Downloads from Channel Classics, Harmonia Mundi and some additional record labels to be announced in the next few weeks. A bit under the radar at the moment, I think NativeDSD.Com will get a lot of attention for its International Customer Base and the focus on Native DSD titles.

The Sony Multichannel SACDs as DSD Downloads are coming from Super HiRez. As I understand it, the rollout pattern will be Stereo DSD Downloads, then 3 Channel Stereo DSD Downloads and finally Multichannel DSD Downloads.

Last time I checked, Super HiRez is licensed for U.S. and Canada customers only. Although their web site says check back for expansions - so they are exploring that.
(If you visit the Computer Audiophile web site, some of the members there use VPNs and various other workarounds to order downloads outside of the US and Canada).

I should also mention that the upcoming NativeDSD.Com Download site - which will feature only DSD, Analog and DXD Master releases, will be International in scope. So all music fans can purchase from them!
It will feature DSD Downloads from Channel Classics, Harmonia Mundi and some additional record labels to be announced in the next few weeks. A bit under the radar at the moment, I think NativeDSD.Com will get a lot of attention for its International Customer Base and the focus on Native DSD titles.

NO FAIR!! :p

we get HFPA Blu-ray in Europe,
you guys get Surround DSD downloads in the U.S. and Canada..!!!!!

I know which I'd rather have ;)

NO FAIR!! :p

we get HFPA Blu-ray in Europe,
you guys get Surround DSD downloads in the U.S. and Canada..!!!!!

I know which I'd rather have ;)

One more thing - NativeDSD.Com will have both Multichannel and Stereo DSD Downloads from day one. And it will be available to all music fans.

So when that download site launches, it will be worth a look - even though the initial record companies announced (Channel Classics and Harmonia Mundi) are classical labels.
(NativeDSD.Com is open to all record labels with DSD, Analog and DXD masters - so expect some Jazz, Folk and Pop titles to appear down the road).

How would Multichannel DSD downloads work? Aren't most DACs stereo only? I'd be interested in DSD downloads if I knew I could burn them onto something that would play in a DVD-Audio/SACD player. I mean I have that with SACD-R stuff on my Pioneer Blu-ray player. I'm also on a Mac which makes the battle even harder since there's not a Foobar equivalent on a Mac.

How would Multichannel DSD downloads work? Aren't most DACs stereo only? I'd be interested in DSD downloads if I knew I could burn them onto something that would play in a DVD-Audio/SACD player. I mean I have that with SACD-R stuff on my Pioneer Blu-ray player. I'm also on a Mac which makes the battle even harder since there's not a Foobar equivalent on a Mac.

You are right. Most DSD DACs are Stereo.

However, there are Multichannel DSD DACs capable of Multichannel Playback of DSD and FLAC files:
  1. The converters in the Oppo 103/105 are one solution for Multichannel download files.
  2. Another option is stacking 3 Mytek Stereo DACs - see earlier thread in this forum section by Ted_B.
  3. A third solution is the exaSound e28 8 Channel DAC - reviewed by Ted_B (link in this forum section) and by Kal Rubinson in this month's Stereophile Magazine at http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-63-page-2

2 more Stereo DSD Downloads arrived on Thursday (11/21/13) on Super HiRez, continuing to bring the out of print Stereo SACDs to the download world.
  • Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual
  • Weather Report - Heavy Weather
Price comparisons from Amazon.Com on the corresponding SACD editions:
  • Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual - $455.99 to $1,248.61
  • Weather Report - Heavy Weather - $74.95 to $99.00

Speaking of Multichannel DSD Downloads, don't forget the two by Independent Acoustic Singer David Elias. Excellent, direct to DSD recordings in Surround Sound. Available to any music fan from his web site for download.
http://www.davidelias.com

Back