2024 Grammy Nominees for Best Immersive Audio Album

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not easy to check it out when it's not out on disc or Apple Music.
What's easy and not depends upon your perspective. True, almost everyone here has a disc player, but not everyone has Tidal or Apple Music. For me and lots of others with a Windows computer connected to an AVR via HDMI (I understand you don't), playing MKV or MP4 files is as easy as queuing them up in VLC Player (or Kodi, or Windows TV & Movies) and hitting "Play." Others are able to play MKV and MP4 files via their Oppos.

Sometimes when I catch myself complaining about some annoyance or other, I hear the voice of my late mother-in-law, who used to utter an obscure colloquialism: "You'd kick if you were in swimming!"

Giving the Grammys way more of my attention than it deserves, I was reminded of this classic Sesame Street song:

One of these things is not like the others
One of these things just doesn't belong
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my (immersive) song?

Not being a mixer I guess I don’t know for a fact, but I’d assume there’s at least some difference in philosophy when mixing a soundtrack than there is a country album. Certainly similarities and an overall desire for cohesiveness and to serve the music, but still differences.

When I look at this year’s nominees and see a soundtrack, it feels odd. To me, you’d have some freedom with a soundtrack (as I mentioned with a pop album) that you might not have with a country album. How do you fairly compare the two?

I wish the Immersive category was broken up into genres like Classical, Country, Pop/Rock, Soundtracks, etc.

The Grammys has genres broken out for many awards. You wouldn’t judge a country album against a soundtrack or a classical album, so why do that with immersive albums?

I feel like a small part of my soul has died overthinking this. I haven’t cared one jot about the Grammys since the 80s. But I do love immersive music and would like to see genres get separate attention... more awards to hand out and more fairness (at least to me) in comparing recordings.

And because I shouldn’t suffer alone in having this song stuck in my head all day...

Perhaps I finally need to subscribe to a streaming service and figure out the software dance (through the copy protection) with that! I think discs and downloads are simple and easy. Chasing the streaming setup - and for lossy results at that - is a little cryptic at present.

I know the Atmos controls in Apple Music player un-blank with a subscription. Then use that media player only for the lossy streaming. Not sure about Tidal or whatever else. Yeah, how do you stream through the dolby reference player when it wants to see a file? So now I have to learn more computer shit for how to make an incoming stream look like a file or something? I'm sort of computer savvy but this is getting into the weeds!

Can I just get a bluray disc or a download?!

I'm also not 100% sure it's only the subscription that unlocks the Atmos controls in the Apple Music app. So I'm hesitant to start spending on subscriptions. Apple and their blacklists and requiring hardware devices. Like, is an Apple TV or an approved AV receiver also required to be connected to unlock those controls? I see signs pointing to that so I haven't jumped down that rabbit hole yet.

I have noticed that the term surround is being used much less lately and "Immersive" being commonly used to describe all varieties of surround mixes.
This is a shame because, to me and I imagine to others, immersive denotes a mix with the music spread equally amongst the main speakers, as opposed to a typical front-centric mix with odds and ends coming from the back (and overhead) speakers. That distinction is now being eroded away.

God of War Ragnarök (Original Soundtrack), Eric Schilling, immersive mix engineer; Michael Romanowski, immersive mastering engineer; Kellogg Boynton, Peter Scaturro & Herbert Waltl, immersive producers (Bear McCreary)
I am at work and was listening to brand new EP from Judas Priest on Tidal, when that song was over the next song popped up called
Afterglow of Ragnarok-Bruce Dickinson-Dec 1, 2023

I just thought it was funny while reading one thing about Ragnarok another comes up listening, I know they are different, just funny, thats all.

No physical release?
Nope. And no download available either. And this is Alicia Key's 2nd Grammy in this category that has only existed for 5 years now. I do wish that it was a requirement for all nominees to be available for purchase as either physical media, a download or both. Alas, I am a dinosaur and this is never going to happen.

Back