3 Channels: Not quite surround but...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esimms86

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I love quad, 5.1 and even more channels as much as the next QQer but I was wondering how many QQers out there enjoy 3 channel sound. I'm talking recordings from the likes of Nat King Cole, Sam Cooke, Harry Belafonte, and Tony Bennett, plus releases such as RCA Living Stereo in SACD(many of which can be played back as 3 channel). Yeah, it's not classic rock and it's not Elliot Scheiner or Steve Wilson mixes but, IMHO, it definitely has its place. And face it, the bulk of our collections are in stereo in the first place(plus an enjoyable subsection in Mono - did somebody say Beatles, Stones, Miles, Duke, etc.?).

I love my collection of RCA Living Stereo classical titles, most of which are 3-channel recordings. They sound wide and deep with great separation and imaging, and on most of them the fidelity is stunning, especially for the time period (50's and 60's). Plus, the performances are mostly from famed conductors and orchestras in their heyday. (y)

I’ve made a “triangle mix” of the 3-channel Nat King Cole and Miles Davis SACDs by moving the fronts to the back and leaving the center. I really like them this way.
Seems you might have mentioned this before Doc, or somebody here, still need to check that out 'cause it sure sounds like it might work well. Maybe even throw some of the FL & FR to the rears just to give it a more immersive feel :unsure:

Back