5 Elton John SACDs - In Stock at Elusive Disc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surroundophile said:
I got an email today from them saying mine have been shipped!

You're ahead of the game then! Bob Bantz and the folks at Elusive Disc do good work.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Elton SACDs. I have the Elton SACD Sampler at home and Honky Cat in SACD Surround is just great!

Is the bonus track Philadelphia Freedom on ELTON JOHN/CAPTAIN FANTASTIC a studio version, and if so what album did it used to be on, or was it just a single?

narcopolo said:
Is the bonus track Philadelphia Freedom on ELTON JOHN/CAPTAIN FANTASTIC a studio version, and if so what album did it used to be on, or was it just a single?

I'm not an Elton John expert. But the Surround Sound SACD cut I heard at the AES Convention in SF last weekend was identical to the hit single version of Philadelphia Freedom.

narcopolo said:
what album did [Philadelphia Freedom] used to be on, or was it just a single?

That's one of two answer to a favorite Billboard Music trivia questions:

What artist had two consecutive #1 singles, neither of which were _originally_ released on any album?

PF is one. Can you name the other? (Answer below)

Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.

Both were released in 1975, when EJ's MCA contract was being renogiated. In June, his resigning at the then-unheard-of $5 million for eight albums was announced.

Both were later reissued in album form on 1976's EJ Greatest Hits Volume II.

I can't wait to hear one of EJ's very best recordings in 5.1!

P.S. After signing with MCA, Elton then followed up with another of his most popular "hits" -- Pinball Wizard, from the Tommy soundtrack. This time, the song was _not_ made available on a single, and thus disqualified from Billboard's Hot 100 single chart, despite some of the heaviest airplay of any song in his career.

That's the record biz. Go figure!

P.P.S.

While all this was happening in the summer of '75, quad was dying. It's been virtually confirmed that MCA, the lone quad holdout, had been on the brink of releasing all the major EJ releases in quad. So while Elton was topping the charts, tapes and possibly laquer masters were being burned. See previous comment on record biz. :)

timbre4 said:
Wow, sad chapter. I was there waiting for such quad releases.....

Well, the Elton John albums are starting to come out now in Surround. And if we support the next 6, there will be 5 more behind those. Good news indeed.

As for MCA, they did issue some excellent Quad material in Japan with JVC's label. The CD-4 Quadradisc of the Jaws Soundtrack was one of the best of the CD-4 discs issued.

Back