5 Steely Dan Surround SACDs !

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohboyohboyohboy!!!!!

I can't wait!! I wonder if they found the missing tapes for Aja or if the missing tracks will be stereo?

I will have to plan on happily kissing $75 - $100 goodbye that day!!

ICK

Awesome... Countdown is one of my alltime faves!!! I can't wait for this one. Let see if it actually happens on that date though. And I wonder how long afterward we will see the DVD-A with bonus materials:rolleyes:

Big shot in the arm for surround format junkies everywhere. We need this on a regular basis. Send in the dancing bananas.....

Ick said:
Ohboyohboyohboy!!!!!

I can't wait!! I wonder if they found the missing tapes for Aja or if the missing tracks will be stereo?

I will have to plan on happily kissing $75 - $100 goodbye that day!!

ICK

Yes, I'm wondering what the story is on Aja myself. Great news.

I think an unwrap of the 2 songs with missing multis would sound ok if they were done the same way that India was done on Avalon. Of course that is if the multis are still missing.

GREAT NEWS! Guess we can unload our 8 tracks!!

That will mean that every release by that group will be available in surround! Pretty impressive.

I heard this news from Universal International late on Friday and my instant reply regarding the Aja status didn't get turnaround before hometime. Will post ASAP on Monday if they get back to me. It was also described by them as "all of them", so I don't know what the score is with "Can't buy a thrill"

The other items they dangled in front of me which require more elucidation are 5 more Elton's (Greg Penny's reworking of the catalogue from the start), some Clapton (presumably the trailed 461 / Slowhand the Johns' have been working on), and the classic period Moody Blues.

I have asked for dates.....

JonUrban said:
GREAT NEWS! Guess we can unload our 8 tracks!!

That will mean that every release by that group will be available in surround! Pretty impressive.

Where's Can't Buy A Thrill. I hope that is coming too, love that album.

Just posted at the ICE magazine forum...

received an email back from Andy Mc Kaie over at Universal.He said Can't Buy A Thrill WILL be among the SD SACDS released June 22nd.He couldn't answer for me if the missing multis for Aja were found however.

Hmmm......

Any word on whether the older albums will be the original quad mixes, or will they be new mixes from the multi-tracks? Unlike some folks on "other" forums that view remixes as sacrilegious, I would welcome new 5.1 mixes, especially since I've already played the quad mixes to death!

Cai Campbell said:
Any word on whether the older albums will be the original quad mixes, or will they be new mixes from the multi-tracks? Unlike some folks on "other" forums that view remixes as sacrilegious, I would welcome new 5.1 mixes, especially since I've already played the quad mixes to death!

I'm pretty sure they will be new 5.1 mixes. Universal generally does new surround mixes unless the originals are in really good condition and are fairly recent.

In the 1980s a number of MCA multitracks disappeared and ended up in the hands of several collectors in Japan. Universal doesn't like talking about this, but it is known among people in the recording industry. Brad Miller (RIP) is gone now, but he learned all about it when trying to get the tapes for DTS release.

quadwreck said:
In the 1980s a number of MCA multitracks disappeared and ended up in the hands of several collectors in Japan. Universal doesn't like talking about this, but it is known among people in the recording industry. Brad Miller (RIP) is gone now, but he learned all about it when trying to get the tapes for DTS release.
Were the multitracks owned by MCA at the time, or ABC/Dunhill?

p.s. Is Hoffman's forum down or what?

quadwreck said:
MCA.

I was just there, it's working fine.
That sure is odd. I've cleared cookies, and cache. Still get cannot find server on that one. Maybe I'll try my other ISP.

update: site is back up today Tuesday

Last edited:
Back