A couple of new SACDs from Audio Fidelity

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen any Bob Dylan SACD's from AF...of course I haven't looked that hard..are you sure you aren't talking about Mobile Fidelity?...like this one
Greatest Hits Vol II

To each his own but I've never heard a Hoffman remaster that I didn't like.
I have the Buddy Holly as well as other older CDs he did that are non-DCC.
Gotta remember that he and Kevin don't do remixes ala Steven Wilson so a lot depends on the original mixes.
I'd say that Hoffman's Close to the Edge SACD is the equal of Steven Wilson's Close to the Edge BD, imo of course. :)

Yes Clint you are right. My mistake those are the ones. Mobile fidelity.....

Greatest Hits Vol II

To each his own but I've never heard a Hoffman remaster that I didn't like.
I have the Buddy Holly as well as other older CDs he did that are non-DCC.
Gotta remember that he and Kevin don't do remixes ala Steven Wilson so a lot depends on the original mixes.
I'd say that Hoffman's Close to the Edge SACD is the equal of Steven Wilson's Close to the Edge BD, imo of course. :)

The best description(and most accurate IMO)of Hoffman's work is in Wikipedia...they term him as a "minimalist"..and I think that is true and fair...he's very source dependent...he can't take a bad source and make it shine...he only makes very minor tweaks...he's an intelligent guy and picks his projects wisely...and I have this feeling about good men knowing their limitations...and I think Steve does and it works for him...my only real problem with him is his involvement on his own work on HIS forum...it just makes him look a little foolish...at times...and anyone that brings up any negative aspects of his work finds themselves banished...and some of this hype of his own work is just embarrassing..it's like he invented the wheel...I buy some of his stuff..but I cherry pick it very carefully...

Yes Clint you are right. My mistake those are the ones. Mobile fidelity.....

I've been mulling over some of those releases myself..to be candid I'm not a huge Dylan fan..but I've been interested in the basement tapes because of THE BAND and I'd like to pick up a greatest hits package from Dylan...but the reviews are good on the Basement Tapes disc HERE

Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman do the remastering on the Audio Fidelity SACDs. I think that will be hard to top by an SHM-SACD Version.
I'll wait for the reviews.
Since we're talking about Paradise Theater then I can provide a review. I have the AF SACD and the platinum SHM CD. The platinum SHM CD easily beats the AF version. No bloated bass and all kinds of intricate details and wide soundstage not present on the AF SACD. I still have both in my collection.

Back