A couple of new SACDs from Audio Fidelity

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend in the record business claims that AF has said they will no longer do Gold CD's. All future releases will be SACD's. 2ch, no doubt. Let's see if that proves true.

I'd be happy if they go the SACD route instead of 24K, so I hope you friend is right :)

There are still some gold discs in the pipeline, including the upcoming James Taylor Gorilla and Crosby Stills & Nash CSN discs.
It wouldn't surprise me if JT's In the Pocket is also gold when it finally comes out

Sly Stone has an SACD coming on Wednesday from AS.
Are you talking about There's a Riot Goin' On? How do you know it's coming out on Wednesday? It doesn't say that on the Acoustic Sounds website.

update: I just read an e-mail from Music Direct that claims they will have it on the 14th, tomorrow. I'll have to get an order in.

Music Direct lists the Sly SACD as being from ORG. The salesperson at the dealer I bought my car from on Friday mentioned that he knows the folks at ORGy.

That's my understanding as well. The Sly & the Family Stone is from ORG. ORG SACDs are mastered by Bernie Grundman - an engineer who mastered more than a few SACDs over the years !

I don't think there is a release date of this yet. Music Direct says "Usually ships in 3 - 7 business days". I doubt it. I'll order it when it says in stock.

According to an interview I read today w/ Jon Anderson, AF will be doing all the "classic" Yes albums in sacd. They've already done CttE and GftO- I think that's all, right?- so what are the remainder that will show up? For most Yes fans, the "main sequence" (if that is the same as "classic") starts w/ TYA and ends w/ GftO, so it looks like TYA, Fragile, Tales and Relayer might be coming soon. Nice to see Yes getting some attention, but personally, unless it's mch, which I'm sure AF won't do, I'll pass.

According to an interview I read today w/ Jon Anderson, AF will be doing all the "classic" Yes albums in sacd. They've already done CttE and GftO- I think that's all, right?- so what are the remainder that will show up? For most Yes fans, the "main sequence" (if that is the same as "classic") starts w/ TYA and ends w/ GftO, so it looks like TYA, Fragile, Tales and Relayer might be coming soon. Nice to see Yes getting some attention, but personally, unless it's mch, which I'm sure AF won't do, I'll pass.

I agree with you, would be all over mch YES releases not so with these Sacd 2 ch releases, will pass on them.
Was reading other thread with interest when you were explaining prog stuff in the new SW album thread and had to laugh at myself when you listed,'Turn of The Century' ,my mind was wandering thinking does he mean Crime of The Century(Supertramp) so had to lookup what album is the song he is talking about from and as I type this morning am listening to 'Going From The One' which is one of my favorite Yes albums and in fact was first time I seen them live as well in 1977/1978 time frame, love all the songs on that album. I am not a lyrics,song title person so I mixup or can't tell where songs are from, but put any of these classic album's on and it all just clicks once hearing the music again.
Sure wish more Yes could come out in surround......

I agree with you, would be all over mch YES releases not so with these Sacd 2 ch releases, will pass on them.
Was reading other thread with interest when you were explaining prog stuff in the new SW album thread and had to laugh at myself when you listed,'Turn of The Century' ,my mind was wandering thinking does he mean Crime of The Century(Supertramp) so had to lookup what album is the song he is talking about from and as I type this morning am listening to 'Going From The One' which is one of my favorite Yes albums and in fact was first time I seen them live as well in 1977/1978 time frame, love all the songs on that album. I am not a lyrics,song title person so I mixup or can't tell where songs are from, but put any of these classic album's on and it all just clicks once hearing the music again.
Sure wish more Yes could come out in surround......

LOL. I'm the same way on many albums. Back in the day, I'd buy an album, then tape it, then rarely listen to the album, to keep them fresh, so I wouldn't learn the track names. Then came CD's and I just put them on but rarely perused the case for track names. There were many songs that I knew all the lyrics by heart, but couldn't tell you the name of the song. But when it comes to Yes, that never happened. Gfto tour in '77 was my 1st Yes show as well- awesome show! 1977 was a watershed year for me- got to see Genesis, Yes, ELP and Floyd all within a couple of months, all right before graduating HS.

I am dying for more Yes in surround: Close to the Edge in 5.1 done by SW would be nirvana for me. He said he wants to do it- wonder what the holdup is? I have hopes that we will see some soon; Neil Wilkes posted on AVS surround sound forum that we'd (Yes fans) be getting an announcement in the near future that would make us all very happy; I've been waiting (rather impatiently) ever since, trying to keep hopes and expectations down...

I wouldn't buy 'em anyway. As for Yes, Fragile is the only one I like and I've got the Japan SACD. I'd like them to do some BOC.

As for Sly Stone, Elusive says Expected on: 05/21/13

Last edited:
Bob Dylan Greatest Hits Vol. 2 now shipping from Amazon. Got it for $40.66 total which isn't too much worse than what a 1-SACD would cost sometimes. Should have it in about 10 days ... went with the free shipping. This will be my 2nd AF SACD out of the new bunch. I have some of the real old ones like Searchers and Deep Purple.

Music Direct says Availability: JUNE 4, 2013 for the Sly Stone. Anyone think that won't happen?

Bob Dylan Greatest Hits Vol. 2 now shipping from Amazon. Got it for $40.66 total which isn't too much worse than what a 1-SACD would cost sometimes. Should have it in about 10 days ... went with the free shipping. This will be my 2nd AF SACD out of the new bunch. I have some of the real old ones like Searchers and Deep Purple.

Love The Searchers SACD from Audio Fidelity. You'll enjoy that one !

Sly & The Family Stone is on the way via media mail. I got a personal e-mail confirmation of that and the tracking number.

And what's that hanging from SH's collar. Better not be sunglasses.

p.s. How do you like the black boxes. Got the idea from Pros and Cons.

Attachments

• going_for_the_butt_sh_censored.jpg
    going_for_the_butt_sh_censored.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 278
I'm told Sly is out. My favorite record store says he has one he's holding for me. With moving this week, Saturday is the soonest I'll get to pick it up, along with Dylan's Greatest, Vol. 2 on SACD.

Sorry to dig up an old(ish) thread but are these AF SACDs any good? I know they are only two channel.

I ask because I just noticed that Jon Anderson's "Olias of Sunhillow" is being released on this format in Jan 2014.

Sorry to dig up an old(ish) thread but are these AF SACDs any good? I know they are only two channel.

I ask because I just noticed that Jon Anderson's "Olias of Sunhillow" is being released on this format in Jan 2014.

The Audio Fidelity SACDs have been very good from the start. They use Steve Hoffman for the remastering and Lon Neumann for the DSD Engineering. An excellent team.

The Audio Fidelity SACDs have been very good from the start. They use Steve Hoffman for the remastering and Lon Neumann for the DSD Engineering. An excellent team.

I second that. What I have got so far, is amazing. Steve Hoffman is an excellent mastering engineer. His Close to the Edge remaster for SACD is still my go-to version even though I have got the mch DVD-A recently remixed by Steven Wilson. Apart from Hoffman, AF usually hires Kevin Gray to remaster titles for SACD release. Gray remastered the Blade Runner soundtrack and it is absolutely fantastic. I am also looking forward to Olias (Kevin Gray remaster for AF SACD)

I second that. What I have got so far, is amazing. Steve Hoffman is an excellent mastering engineer. His Close to the Edge remaster for SACD is still my go-to version even though I have got the mch DVD-A recently remixed by Steven Wilson. Apart from Hoffman, AF usually hires Kevin Gray to remaster titles for SACD release. Gray remastered the Blade Runner soundtrack and it is absolutely fantastic. I am also looking forward to Olias (Kevin Gray remaster for AF SACD)

Kevin Gray does some fine work as well. In fact, he and Hoffman sometimes team up on SACD Remastering - as in the amazing Nat King Cole SACD Remastered Series on Analogue Productions. Excellent !

Back