A Tale of Two Surround Changers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
This thread is about the mountain of players I now use to play more of the DTS, DVD-A & SACD collection that is still growing in spurts.

Sitting on top of everything is the Zektor switchbox that many use. I should have bought it much sooner! The 4 inputs are for the pair of 400 disc changers, the Samsung single disc DVD player and the 5.1 outputs of my PC for playback of ACID mixing sessions.

The Samsun 841 is a single disc player to handle PAL DVDs (Virgin/Rhino I'll never forgive you for Genesis debacle) and single play of SACD & DVD-A titles in a hurry. This machine works for the most part; Optical goes out sometimes.

Sony did a decent job with the DVP-CX995V changer, the navigation is decent and it always behaves. It is loaded with about 110 SACDs and 275 DTS discs so nearly full. As DVD-A versions appear, DTS versions may be retired to free up slots. I love the fact that it defaults to 5.1 channels instead of having to always select as I did with the previous 5 disc SACD changer. (SE875?)

At the bottom of this mountain is the Kenwood D5900M. This behemoth is nicknamed 'Robbie The Robot", primarily due to it's godawful styling and it's having a mind of it's own in terms of playback. This is due in large part to it's counter-intuitive mega remote control. By now all DVD player remotes observe the 4 buttons around an Enter button in the center. NOT this bugger! You have to handle the remote regularly to remember all the little dances required for anything beyond hitting Play.

The low point was when the Kenwood decided to jam up on a disc. Yes, it's at the bottom of this stack of gear so it was a messy treacherous task to get everything off of sitting on top of it. Then the matter of moving it onto the floor without removing (or damaging by spilling) a couple hundered discs. Now figure out which screws to remove and get to the offending disc. Once that was done put it back together, move it to the stack position, try the SOB one more time before stacking all the rest on top. Satisfied it was going to work, the rig got put all back together. But I didn't trust it and didn;t play any discs on it for a month. Maybe two months.

I'm currently using the Kenwood and the Sony with some regularity and grateful I have instant access to so much great music now. Robbie The Robot is kicking out Glass Arm Shattering so great right now it makes it all worthwhile.

Update to the saga

First a confession; I now know what caused the disc jam in the Kenwood changer. NEVER EVER put a disc in the slot # of the disc that is currently playing! When you change discs and tries to put it away with that same slot #, well it's a physics problem.

The Kenwood has been singing perfectly, getting used to using the remote and getting what I want is happening more quickly. Getting more DVD-A content into the Kenwood now (thanks internet) and retiring the DTS CD versions from the Sony SACD changer.

Haven't committed the disc titles to slots (where non CD-text) as yet so running it off a database report for now.

Back