Aargh, SACD not recognised anymore

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ge Someone

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I have had the hybrid SACD of Roxy Music - Avalon for almost a year. Had no problem with it, could always play the Multi Channel part.
But as of now my player (Onkyo SP502E, based on Pioneer) does ONLY recognise as ordinary CD :eek: . So no way to access the MC anymore. add: forgot to say but no scratch nor fingerprint...
Other (hybrid) SACD's I tried, play fine as SACD in MC. Multiple inserting doesn't help.

Did something like this ever happened to someone else here?

If this "can happen" I will avoid hybrid SACD from now on.:(

Last edited:
I've had one or two discs do that in my Yamaha universal (before having it repaired for other reasons). It has always corrected itself after removing the discs and re-inserting. I think it's more in the hardware than the software as my old Pioneer 563a always gets the SACD layer.

I'll share my story, though I don't have suggestions...

A fews years ago or so, I had a similar issue between a Sony DVD/SACD (one of the first cheap models - I forget the #) and the hybrid SACD of Kevin Mahagony's "Pride & Joy". It never had a problem before, but then it started getting fussy. However, I was always able to eventually get it to recognize the SACD layer after re-insertion a few times.

I've since upgraded to other players (a Pioneer 563A and then onto a Denon 2200) since I wanted to have DVD-Audio compatibiltity and have never had a similar issue.

I guess in my instance I blame the player more than the disc since it had tendencies to be fussy even with regular CDs. Time will tell if there is going to be a problem with dual-layered discs, but at this point and time I'm not too worried. Hopefully, it's just one of those rare things.

Eugenius said:
I guess in my instance I blame the player more than the disc ...

That is now my guess too. Grrr, it's only 10 months old.
I have found more disks that are no longer recognised as SACD (just as CD), even one that did OK 2 days ago, now took 2 times re-inserting too be seen as SACD again. Let's blame it on the player :eek:

BananaSlug said:
I've had one or two discs do that in my Yamaha universal (before having it repaired for other reasons). It has always corrected itself after removing the discs and re-inserting. I think it's more in the hardware than the software as my old Pioneer 563a always gets the SACD layer.

That happens with some players. And not just with SACDs. With my Denon 2910, I often have to remove and reinsert DVD Video discs to get the 2910 to "recognize" them correctly !

Ge Someone said:
I have had the hybrid SACD of Roxy Music - Avalon for almost a year. Had no problem with it, could always play the Multi Channel part.
But as of now my player (Onkyo SP502E, based on Pioneer) does ONLY recognise as ordinary CD :eek: .

Have you bought any Sony hardware product within the past 6 months or sent your software renewal check to them? If not, your license to play SACD may be fading...:D

Kal

Coincidentally I am seeing this problem for the first time on my Pioneer 563a (firmware upgraded, now a couple of years old) and a Living Stereo Van Cliburn Tchaikovsky, Piano Concerto No. 1 (SACD Hybrid) disc.

I did a google search, found the below, and plan to try the mentioned technique of some carefully applied compressed air to the lens.

--Don

===
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/index.php/t-49670.html

Before i read the Air suggestion, I tried something similar.

I opened the case and tried to carefully wipe the lens with a piece of soft paper tissue. The lens is plastic and hangs in a kind kind of (tiny) suspension rack. It felt so fragile I barely dare to touch it.

But hey, it helped. All my SACDs are recognised as before :banana:

BTW: it was interesting to see the red laser shine through the disc when I did a little test before I closed the case .

I may have nothing new to offer here but,
as I have found,it is rare and delightful when wiping the lens does
the trick.Worse yet, the problem seems to return ever sooner than
before.
Consider this: I believe it is planned obsolesence for this reason.
Dust falls with gravity,whyfore place the lens facing up to catch it.
And due to spinning disc, particles rather than pushed away,are drawn
with the minute static charges created.
If this were not bad enough the laser is at a right angle with it's
own lens in front that you can't reach to clean.
Also,there are maybe 1 or 2 mirrors or a prism to get cloudy.
AND!,just as your car windows gather that haze called "Gassing"
from the natural decomposing of the plastic in the car,so is the plastic in the player(add cigarette,cooking etc.) and you can't get to those surfaces to clean without damaging the alignment of the lens/laser.
The original Magnavox/Pioneer Laserdisc players had a clunky
system(compared to today) but at least all the lens and mirrors were cleanable.
MAKE ALL THE ITEMS LENS/MIRRORS/LASER OPEN SO THEY
CAN BE CLEANED OR SEAL ALL OF THEM TIGHTER THAN FROGS A--
TO KEEP DUSTOUT! But why? Better we help the corporate
bottom line and tax coffers buying a new one every year,
and filled those empty landfills!
QC for president

Last edited:
Ge Someone said:
Before i read the Air suggestion, I tried something similar.

I opened the case and tried to carefully wipe the lens with a piece of soft paper tissue. The lens is plastic and hangs in a kind kind of (tiny) suspension rack. It felt so fragile I barely dare to touch it.

But hey, it helped. All my SACDs are recognised as before :banana:

BTW: it was interesting to see the red laser shine through the disc when I did a little test before I closed the case .

Glad to hear a happy ending there!

One thing I was going to note is that some of the folks who "hot rod" or "modify" SACD players also do SACD player repairs. So if things get serioius, you may want to contact someone like Richard Kern at Audiomod.Com and I suspect he'll be happy to do some SACD player repair work for you - even without any mods !

Back