Abba: Voyage (new album) Drops in November.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apple Music is showing this as an ATMOS mix but I haven't had a chance to listen to it to see if is very effective

The ATMOS mix on the new album was quite a pleasant surprise. Not very noticeable at the beginning of the album but later on there is use of the surround speakers for some instrumentation and some of the support vocals (I can't really comment on the use of the over-heads because I'm only using a couple of up-firing speakers but there seemed to be some keyboards used in the higher space). It's certainly a quite immersive mix. As the album is up to the standards of their original albums this is well worth hearing (although a Blu-ray version with ATMOS would be my preferred option).

The ATMOS mix on the new album was quite a pleasant surprise. Not very noticeable at the beginning of the album but later on there is use of the surround speakers for some instrumentation and some of the support vocals (I can't really comment on the use of the over-heads because I'm only using a couple of up-firing speakers but there seemed to be some keyboards used in the higher space). It's certainly a quite immersive mix. As the album is up to the standards of their original albums this is well worth hearing (although a Blu-ray version with ATMOS would be my preferred option).
I'd like to be optimistic about a surround/Atmos release, but according to Bjorn and Benny, don't hold your breath. That it's available in Atmos as a download is interesting. Who's offering it?

I'd like to be optimistic about a surround/Atmos release, but according to Bjorn and Benny, don't hold your breath. That it's available in Atmos as a download is interesting. Who's offering it?
I've seen it on Apple Music but I don't know if Tidal has the same mix.

I just get this here:
Screenshot_20211109_073645.jpg

Apple and Tidal have it. The mix on Atmos is wonderful, they use surrounds and overheads more for ambience than for instrument placement. Although we do hear Benny's trademark synth riffs bouncing around the rears from time to time. The opening track "I Still Have Faith In You" features Ani-Frid Lyndstag (she was once 'the redhead') with her voice sounding never better. The other single "Don't Shut Me Down" features Agnetha on lead vocal, and should satisfy the dance mix crowd. There's even a Christmas song. Well worth the 40 year wait, for both the stereo track and a fantastic Atmos Mix.

For QuadLinda: Yeah, I know this is an old post. Just came across - and re-read - an interview with Mark Linett on his work for the 5.1 version of Pet Sounds (10/22 Surround Sound Professional mag). Linett addresses the long standing story about Brian and mono mixes. Mark claims that Brian's choice had a 3 fold reason: 1) respect for Phil Spector, 2) the music was going to AM radio at the time and 3) no one could mess with the mix. The 3rd one, if you will recall, was due to things like folks placing one speaker in a different room than the other, placing speakers inappropriately (one behind the couch, the other over in the corner) etc. Linett mentions that Wilson went on to do several stereo mixes which he has. I had always heard the hearing loss explanation and found this to be at least worth some consideration.

Back