Actual surround needs beneath talking also fighting

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadro-Action

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
In the quadraphonic 70's the early surround-fans were unfortunately isolated - nobody knows from another. Later and by the frustration about the finishing of quadraphonic activities by the software-firms, a few engaged fans have begun around 1979 to collect other annoyed, but further on interested, surround-freaks. Most of you will know the two US clubs, which have published till 1985 their informations for the member-fans - called "MCS-Review" and Evolution". Also we in Germany -and for a few fans in neighbouring countries - have since 1980 (and also actual) our fan-organization - called "Quadro-Action". We work also outside the inner-circle and "attac" the firms since years with our sight of surround with letters and flyers and we write often "readers letters" to the AV or HiFi press, when there is reported some error or nonsense -which are most printed. And now there exist also the QQ-Forum, which will be a wellcome E-Mail base for collecting surround-freaks and inform them by talking and discussion - especially about well and bad surround-productions (beneth other interesting themes). But I think, only a discussion will not help for a better surround (by the "Bad's). We should also attac the firms with E-Mails - which can arrive better the target group and will give raise to more attention - especially, when there are a lot of E-Mails. So we could nominate most wanted titles (instead some for only a hardcore interess - like the (for most) terrible SA-CD "Chick Corea - Live in New York") clear up, that we (I think the most) don't need a low-surround, but a sound real around. And we need real musical music in first line (most of freaks for audio-surround are not hip-hop youngsters) and not sound-experiments of a few sound-engineers, who likes the adventure to create a "surround" from "2 1/2" rough tracks - like Sinatra, Elvis or Cooke from the early stereo or mono era.To make such fan-echo possible, it would be helpfull, when there would be also a "subject" to collect first firm mail-addresses (surround-freaks may report these - especially from the "Big" in the USA, Great Britain and Germany). Later this informations can be sort by the busy administrator C.C. So each surround-fan can mail his frustraiton or also an approval direct to the fims. And who could better talk and report about surround as we fans, which are often surround-connoisseurs since the 70's?! Now - how is your meaning about his "Quadro-Action" and what will say the administrator? I think, surround needs further on a push - from us. Dietrich

Here on the barren plains of Nebraska where the tornadoes roll across the landscape with monotonous regularity, wending a path of destruction wherever they alight, tossing towns, villages and hamlets to and fro and..... where the frigid arctic blasts of winter convey the blizzards that bury the sod shantys under mountains of snow the denizens of this cultural backwater unite in passionate fury to send their communal voices aloft to fill the four winds with comingled shouts of....

"We agree!!!!!!!"

Departing, the citizenry carefully avoids the incessant presence of cow dung piles that would send glee into the hearts of dung beetles everywhere and trek towards their separate humble hovels wherein the lucky few possess the audio delights that send shivers of delight along the neural assemblages that culminate within the craniums of the most highly evolved creature residing on the speck of dust floating within an uncomprehensibly vast universe containing who knows how many species of life that has also attained self-awareness.

And that, obviously, leads to the eternal question that has befuddled philosophers and those ensconced within their shantys awaiting the warmth of spring to melt the mounds of snow that will, in turn, allow egress from the confines of the human-holding hootches. What, the thoughts provoke, are the aural delights of a far-off civilization of creatures possessing multiple sets of ears? Will that species burp in delight when their 24 speaker systems explode against their 8 sets of ears?

With that...... I depart in serenity knowing well that the imponderables can be pondered but saddened that millions of years of evolution has produced caps whose life-span is measured in a couple decades or three requiring the adroit abilities of some person's paws to replace said components.

Yeah.

Wow Bop, what a wonderfull romantic novella you have written to me. But I think, it is in the wrong subject (may be a new for surround-literature) - or do you think, we should fight with the storms of Nebraska for more or sometimes needed better surround? With other words: What is your real message? And if I have misunderstand you, I would like also an answer. This will be interesting the surround-freaks here - right opposite of the Atlantic. Dietrich

It seems, any prefer further the inside talking, but it doesn't matter. Each may do what he likes - and I like the outside talk too. So I have written today an e-mail to the german president of Universal Music (Timm Renner). I have rembered him, that there must excist in the archives of Polydor/Polygram also quadraphonic mastertapes from James Last, which was never offered in Germany, but we know the Q8's, which are produced in Canada (non-stop-dancing '73, Beach-Party Nr. 5, Hammond a go-go). Also Roberto Delgado has realized in the 70's a very well quadraphonic "Bouzouki" production. And, of course, the famous Bert Kämpfert MUST sound in Surround - by a real new surround-mix in a quadraphonic style from the multi-track recoding tapes. And I have written him, thate not the MP3 generation will be most interesting in surround-sound by the music, but the more mature people and music-listener - and some will be surround-enthusiasts since the quadraphonic 70's. And they are ready to pay a well money for a well surround with well music.
The other firm will be the little company "delta" records in Germany. Since 2 days there are the first few SA-CD's with surround-sound on the market here (for example "Duke Ellingten, Oscar Peterson, Louis Armstrong etc). But these music is recorded in the 60's (printed on the back-side) - so I think, there can only be a stereo stage with any surround reverberation (look to some Silverline). But there was one new recording (Just Friends) with the older jazz-artists of Paul Kuhn, Toots Thielemans, Johnny Teupen etc. (these may be known sometimes also in the USA). But also this surround mix (by Hirez quality) was done for of a stage-sound and a few reverberation for rear. That is too few for the ears of surround-conoisseurs and too litle for naming this sound as surround. So I have written also with e-mail, that they should have more courage by the surround mix-down and - for excample - a trumpet back must sound like another from the front section - by clear channel separation. They should not only look, what the purists will say. Important is, what we consumers want, because we pay for the music on the records.
So far a few activities to outside. I think, more surround-fans can do the same. Dierich

Hi Quadro-Action,
I read your posts with interest but I've had a problem with dyslexia and request that if you don't mind, separating out different thoughts with perhaps paragraph breaks and perhaps a space between them.

I mention this not as a critisicm to you the problem is ENTIRELY mine.

thanks,
Peter m.

petermwilson said:
Hi Quadro-Action,
I read your posts with interest but I've had a problem with dyslexia and request that if you don't mind, separating out different thoughts with perhaps paragraph breaks and perhaps a space between them.

I mention this not as a critisicm to you the problem is ENTIRELY mine.

thanks,
Peter m.

Hi Peter, I know, that I sometimes write as I am familiar in the german language.So I write temporary in our style (for excample: surround-fans and not fans of surround) But I think, you should be a little bit of liberal -as we people outside of the USA or GB will do by any phrases of slang, which I can read also sometimes here and even in the HiFi press. I would be very liberal, when one would answer me in the german language (please, who will make a test?). For both sides we will not have here a forum of a language labority, but for news and opinions around surround. And also with a few digressions from me the most will understand, what I mean. So let us have the next discussion about all the wonders and "wonders" of surround. So you will know also now, what often the " " means. But be sure, that I am not annoyed about your remarks. Dietrich

Hi Dietrch,
I can appreciate that english is not your first language and my comment had nothing to do with that.

What I was requesting was that you separate you ideas as I have just done here, so that I can concentrate on one before going to your next thought.

Quand je parle ou ecrit en francais j'asseye de separe' les idee aussie meme si je me trompe dans le grammaire c'est plus facile a suivre.

As I said the problem is mine not yours.

Peter m.

petermwilson said:
Hi Dietrch,
I can appreciate that english is not your first language and my comment had nothing to do with that.

What I was requesting was that you separate you ideas as I have just done here, so that I can concentrate on one before going to your next thought.

Quand je parle ou ecrit en francais j'asseye de separe' les idee aussie meme si je me trompe dans le grammaire c'est plus facile a suivre.

As I said the problem is mine not yours.

Peter m.

Hi, now I know, that you can write also in the french language.
But which will this tell us about surround-themes?I think, we should stop this discussion, because it will be boring for the other readers. Dietrich
Dietrich

Back