Dual Disc Alan Parsons Valid Path

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadtrade

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Alan Parsons Album A Valid Path will be released April 4 according to his site. It mentions DD and DTS 5.1 mix. At least some good news. On the other hand Arista was purchased by Sony which may bury the idea of a visit to remix old LPs.

That's really sad news on Sony buying out Arista.

Maybe he could at least do a surround version of Tales of Mystery and Imagination, which last I knew wasn't owned by Arista.

Dylan Berichon said:
That's really sad news on Sony buying out Arista.

Maybe he could at least do a surround version of Tales of Mystery and Imagination, which last I knew wasn't owned by Arista.

Over the weekend he did say he was remastering several early albums for new stereo release, and they sound much better than what was dumped out earlier by the record company. Still no indication that the label wished 5.1 mixes. Also there are several easter eggs(hidden tracks) on the new dualdisc including a 5.1 mix of the title cut Time Machine :D from his previous work. Al Stewart had joined him at this label. He had remixed this cut several years ago along with a couple of old Al Stewart cuts Year of the Cat and Time Passages for a Miramar compilation which died when the company quit music. Maybe they will see light one day.

Poor guy. Here is someone capable of tremendous surround presentation, and can't get an outlet to let him release his stuff in 5.1. I'd love all of his albums on DVD-A or SACD, even "On Air", which would be appreciated in HiRez as well (although the DTS is truly a benchmark)

Can't wait. I've been waiting for the 5.1 mix to come out from the day the album was released.
Awesome!
Ryan

This one was released on 4-4-2006. Can anyone confirm if it's a DVD-A Dualdisc?

Thanks in advance.

HiRes

HiRes_PR said:
This one was released on 4-4-2006. Can anyone confirm if it's a DVD-A Dualdisc?

Thanks in advance.

HiRes

No DVD-A.............just DTS and DD. Two live video's in stereo:mad:

On the plus side though, the opening menu and even the interviews have 5.1 background music(y)

Haven't been able to find the Easter Eggs.........Help!!!:mad:@:

QB

Weird.
I know it was supposed to be in MLP & DTS, with no DD planned at all.
Wonder why it all got changed at the last minute?

I'm guessing the Easter eggs are the two (or maybe 3) songs you can find as you scroll thru the discography. On the Time Machine listing and at least one other, you can highlight the album itself and it plays a song. The title song to Time Machine is in 5.1 sound and sounds real good, the other 1 (or 2) is just dd 2.0, if I remember correctly.

If anyone knows of anything else, let us know.

K

QuadBob said:
No DVD-A.............just DTS and DD. Two live video's in stereo:mad:

On the plus side though, the opening menu and even the interviews have 5.1 background music(y)
QB

Is there 5.1 mix of whole album or only bonuses on dvd side ?

Coming from Immergent, one of 5.1 Entertainment Group labels, is really dissapointing that it lacks hi res. All their releases have been DVD-A or Dualdisc w/DVD-A. Except for this one.

(n)

With the exception of the new Donald Fagen release, this is the finest 5.1 new title I have purchased this year (granted - there haven't been that many). Despite the fact that it is DualDisc and only DD and DTS, the MC mix and fidelity outshines any other DVD-A or SACD release this year - IMHO.

Valid Path contains collaborations with several well known Electronica mixers including Crystal Method, Nortec Collective, and Uberzone as well as a relatively unrecognizable, heavily processed guitar solo from David Gilmour on the opening track "Return To Tunguska." Primarily an instrumental record - there are a few vocal tracks but the vocals are so processed they may as well be instrumentals. Also featured are several updates of AP chestnuts - Mammagamma from Eye In the Sky and The Raven from Tales of Mystery and Imagination.

All speakers are active and discreet. The mix is effects heavy and in the case of this particular type of music, the effects compliment the music. There is a great rainstorm effect at the beginning of the track "L'Arc En Ciel" that is quite a treat.

Another note - this release highlights the benefits of DualDisc - lyrics (that actually progress along with the track), a track by track commentary by AP, live performances, full discography with complete track listings, interviews with many of the collaborators etc.

With all of the attention paid to Dark Side of the Moon and David Gilmour one would think that members of this forum would be all over this. I picked this up at Virgin Records in NY on sale for $14.99 - highly recommended(y)

My copy arrived a few days ago, just haven't had a chance to listen yet. I'm sure lots of us will be buying this. I suppose the lack of Hi-Rez and the fact that it isn't one of AP's 'classics' will slow sales somewhat, though.

Thanks for the review, I'm looking forward to having a nice bit of quiet time to have a good listen... soon!

I finally got my copy and had a chance to listen to it last night. I agree that this is one of the best surround releases this year and I think this is the best AP album to come along since "Stereotomy" in 1986.

This album is a definite stylistic departure for AP, considering his existing body of work. I wasn't sure how well an AP "electronica" album would come across, but I had an idea that it could work quite well, but then, I could imagine it failing miserably too. Thankfully, it works extremely well!

The music is well-crafted, the production is top-notch, the fidelity is excellent (despite no hi-rez) and the surround mix is incredible! I may bemoan the lack of MLP, but at least we get DTS (something you don't see much of on DualDisc.)

The interview videos are really interesting, and I enjoyed the bonus live tracks.

I had a chance to see Alan Parsons live in 1999 as part of the Time Machine tour (the Friday or Saturday before the album was released in fact,) and it was a fantastic show.

:sun I just got back from a few dates in Florida, with an orchestra!!!! And a laser light show!!! Just a great weekend! The band is such a tight band. You can get a video from his website of a show done in 04 in spain.
He says the lack of MLP was just a real estate issue. They had hoped it would work to include it, but it would not be any issue for sales and DTS sounds good.

zowie, i think it's safe to say that old alan "gets it". :banana: this one's currently in battle with bj cole for number 1 in my heavy rotation. fantastic. what a mix. only downside is that the inclusion of a redone "raven" makes me pine for a day when i might hear "tales of mystery and imagination" in mch.

Bit the bullet and purchased a copy, which arrived yesterday, I can report that Alan Parsons definitly knows surround.

This is a great album, only slightly let down by the lack of an MLP track, personally i would have ditched the stereo and DD tracks to make space for it. Stereo is already on the CD side but who wants to listen to that anyway !!!

Now where do we vote for this ?

Back