Allman Brothers SACDs - 5/18

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alfbello said:
Well, the DTS mix of the Filmore ain't bad at all...

Alf
I LOVE this mix, but, since both lead guitars are in either rear channel, I would think that there is ZERO chance for this historical mix to be preserved. They'll probably just mix the crowd to the rear like most other non-imaginative live LP surround mixes. :(

Heh. Both lead guitars in the rear speakers is why I *hate* the DTS mix.

Diffrn't strokes for diffrn't folks! I look forward to a more palatable (to me) surround mix.

ssully said:
Heh. Both lead guitars in the rear speakers is why I *hate* the DTS mix.

Diffrn't strokes for diffrn't folks! I look forward to a more palatable (to me) surround mix.

I agree completely. I am a big fan of very aggressive surround mixes and "Fillmore East" is one of my favorite lps, but with the lead guitars in the rears I find it too unnerving and a very uncomfortable listen. I would have done keyboards and percussion in the rear if I had had the chance, hopefully the new mix will be closer to my preference.

timbre4 said:
The "DTS mix" is actually the Tom Dowd Capricorn quad remix from 1974...
That's why I referred to it as a "historical mix". I find that the mix on this DTS CD (or quad LP), lets me anylize who is playing what (between the 2 lead guitars in the back & the 2 drummers in the front left & right), and increases my enjoyment of the LP immensely.

Will the SACD (and presumably DVD-A 6 Months later :banana: ) be based on the original Filmore release or will that go back to the original tapes and sanitize the life out of the mix like the 'Complete Filmore' concerts Double CD of a few years back. Remember 'Whipping post' with no cry :mad: before hand !! lets hope its done right and retains the feel of the original live album and maybe even the original Quad Mix !

Larry Geller said:
Total Bummer :mad:

Well, we'll see how the new mix turns out. It should still be an interesting set of Surround SACDs.

And who knows, perhaps the originals will show on the Motown/Universal Homemade Series that was mentioned in another section here.

Back