The Dave Brubeck Quartet SACD Time Out 5099706512257

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Analogue Productions SACD is also guaranteed to have functioning multichannel, as well as an arguably better mastering of the stereo mix:

https://www.discogs.com/release/4194748-The-Dave-Brubeck-Quartet-Time-Out

https://www.discogs.com/release/22441135-The-Dave-Brubeck-Quartet-Time-Out
I have both but the AP multichannel SACD duplicates the oriiginal SONY remix.

BTW, Time Out was originally a three channel stereo recording but AFAIK was never released in that format!

i checked, indeed mine is silver:eek:...but i remember my player seeing it as a SACD, not CD; you can confirm the "genuine copies" play as 5.1? with LFE and rears (i am asking because as 4-earredwonder just said i have a memory of it sounding like a 3 channel)? in any case i want to solve this mistery and listen to that disc as soon as i have time and i will update you here; by the way thanks to you all replying

Time Out was an early stereo record...I believe it was mixed when stereo was still meant to be 3 channels. From what I remember correctly, the SACD multichannel is just a transfer of that 3-channel mix. Miles Davis' Kind of Blue has the same treatment on SACD.

If your disc is silver, it cannot be the version with the 3-channel mix. It either has to be the 1999/2000 stereo-only SACD, or a CD. The multichannel mix was only released on Hybrid SACD, which would appear golden from the data layer.

It would be helpful if you posted the matrix runouts on the actual disc...

Time Out was an early stereo record...I believe it was mixed when stereo was still meant to be 3 channels. From what I remember correctly, the SACD multichannel is just a transfer of that 3-channel mix. Miles Davis' Kind of Blue has the same treatment on SACD.

If your disc is silver, it cannot be the version with the 3-channel mix. It either has to be the 1999/2000 stereo-only SACD, or a CD. The multichannel mix was only released on Hybrid SACD, which would appear golden from the data layer.

It would be helpful if you posted the matrix runouts on the actual disc...

Yep, the Hybrid-SACD I have is only 3 channel and stereo - great disc though! as is the Miles Davis Kind Of Blue

1707765210967.png

There are no 3.0 SACDs - all multichannel SACDs are either authored as 5.0 or 5.1 and your receiver will light up as such. Time Out was recorded on a 3-track multitrack machine, like a lot of music of that era, so the SACD has those 3 channels in the front (LF/C/RF) and reverbs in the rear channels.

I think the Sony mch SACD of Miles Davis' Kind of Blue is mixed the same way (with reverb in the rears) whereas other SACDs from a 3-channel multi are completely silent in the rears, like the AP Miles Davis (Seven Steps to Heaven, Someday My Prince Will Come) and Nat King Cole discs, but regardless of if the rears are silent or not, they're all 5.0 or 5.1 discs, spec-wise.

There are no 3.0 SACDs - all multichannel SACDs are either authored as 5.0 or 5.1 and your receiver will light up as such. Time Out was recorded on a 3-track multitrack machine, like a lot of music of that era, so the SACD has those 3 channels in the front (LF/C/RF) and reverbs in the rear channels.

I think the Sony mch SACD of Miles Davis' Kind of Blue is mixed the same way (with reverb in the rears) whereas other SACDs from a 3-channel multi are completely silent in the rears, like the AP Miles Davis (Seven Steps to Heaven, Someday My Prince Will Come) and Nat King Cole discs, but regardless of if the rears are silent or not, they're all 5.0 or 5.1 discs, spec-wise.
My Miles Davis sacd states 5.1 / multi-ch on the back. SICP 10083

It fills the room with sound and is quite good, but not much 'discrete' material. Just a bit more separation than the 2 channel stereo. [sidenote: I've been playing Kind of Blue across multiple mixes and formats over the past 28 years since first falling in love with the album. It's in the running for top one or two albums I know best, and this SACD mix is amazing.]

The "DSD 3.0" previously referenced I think only refers to the original transfer source. Noted on the far right of the screenshot it mentions "SACD 4.0/5.1"

Last edited:
Yes yes yes! I finally had a chance to check ✅ and I want to thank you, my copy was really not genuine... It's a CD!🤫😁 I already ordered a copy of the Sony, will comment on that when I listen 👂🏻. Thank you for making me notice, or I might have discovered who knows when 🙊
If you have a Discogs account, thank the person on that Discogs post! It's the only reason I know about it. Hope things work out!

Back