Player suggestions for quad setups

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I'm also new to Dolby Surround Theme and face a lot of variatons and systems. Hard to follow.
I have modified my old JVC 5436's and GX500 and SEH405, so I can play my recorded CD-4 Vinyl's (with carrier) from several media players (wav 192/24).
I gave the JVC's also a (internal) SQ decoder. Now the carrier signal switches automatical between CD-4 and SQ. (The JVC's got also 3 more matrix systems.)

Now I found a lot of offical downloadable (YouTube) 4.0 and 5.x music. But they need a media player with 4 or 6 analog out.
Oppo is a possible, best solution if you can get one. A member here (Mackspower) gave me the hint to the (old) Dune HD Max, so I bought one ($ 200), gave it a 2TB disc, and the trouble began:
It plays all multichannel wav at half speed. So I looked around for an Audio-HDMI to 6 RCA's to use a newer player, but didn't find. But I found some 5.1 players with analog out and asked a chinese manufacturer, who offers also wav 4.0, if it's really working, and it is.
AYINO stated: "You need 4.0CH output, it is recommended to choose hd920 ($ 120) and/or hd950 ($ 150), chip processing separation is better. thank you"
and the long link: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4001184212010.html?pdp_npi=3@dis!USD!US $169.00!US $118.30!!!!!@2140d31d16828253948663113e5bb4!10000015179291428!im!!&gatewayAdapt=glo2deu

This weekend I discovered that the Dune plays all multichannel flac without problems and it plays also ISO files. But no multichannel wav. But it plays my CD-4 recordings in 192/24 wav without problems.
So I connected the front and rear channels to the 4 ch JVC tape play (line in, behind/instead the matrixes) inputs and have the 4.0 stream on my normal 4 speakers, also with bass from rear. And separation is very good, no mix.
For the Sub and Center I'll use a small stereo amp ($ 40 from china), so I can play 5.1 (, or with another amp 7.1, but I think it's not needed).

This morning I got an idea how to switch automatical between the stereo in for CD-4/SQ and 4.0/ 5.1: will be done by 2 tiny relais switched by the rear audio signal channels from the Dune, what I already have at the rear line in at the JVC.
The sub and center are only sometimes in use for 5.x, so I can leave them as they are, don't care.
This might not be the solution you’re looking for, but Goldwave can convert WAV to FLAC. It’s fairly cheap and easy to use.

This might not be the solution you’re looking for, but Goldwave can convert WAV to FLAC. It’s fairly cheap and easy to use.
already converted all with audacity. But I spend a lot of time to figure it out, what, maybe, not happened with an Oppo ...

This is where the OPPO players come into their-own, as you can use the players 'speaker configuration' option to balance the audio levels to all your amplifiers individually. In @duckpin76's case, once the levels of any additional power amplifiers have been balanced to the quad amplifier, you then use the OPPO's volume control to adjust the overall volume level to all the amplifiers at the same time.

Personally I have one integrated pre/power amplifier and three power amplifiers (I don't run a sub or LFE). It all works a treat...
Except that that only works with PCM. If you want to output DSD an analogue solution is necessary.

By all means run separate amplifiers, if you don't have a multi-channel unit.

In my DIY system, that I've been using (since the late seventies) an op-amp based mixer is used to avoid the need to switch any (discrete quad) inputs. After more recent modification the mixer configuration allows the Centre to be mixed in as well. I have plans for another unit in which the centre will be controlled by a joystick so that you can pan it anywhere, Cf full C or anywhere else in the room!

Quad volume pots are still widely available, both NOS and new Alps units. You could make a "passive preamp". If you must have six channels (5.1) consider the remote volume control kits available cheaply from China sold on eBay or Aliexpress.

Here is just one low cost example.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/16553369375...tyx2UDX9QqsS3loD4CmwQ98A==|tkp:Bk9SR-y9hqT8YQ

Except that that only works with PCM. If you want to output DSD an analogue solution is necessary.

By all means run separate amplifiers, if you don't have a multi-channel unit.

In my DIY system, that I've been using (since the late seventies) an op-amp based mixer is used to avoid the need to switch any (discrete quad) inputs. After more recent modification the mixer configuration allows the Centre to be mixed in as well. I have plans for another unit in which the centre will be controlled by a joystick so that you can pan it anywhere, Cf full C or anywhere else in the room!

Quad volume pots are still widely available, both NOS and new Alps units. You could make a "passive preamp". If you must have six channels (5.1) consider the remote volume control kits available cheaply from China sold on eBay or Aliexpress.

Here is just one low cost example.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/16553369375...tyx2UDX9QqsS3loD4CmwQ98A==|tkp:Bk9SR-y9hqT8YQ
I saved the adress of "F11 M62446 6-channel fully independent remote control", thank you.
As soon as possible I will start with a remote control for 4 (or 6?) with only a few variation left-right,not so much front rear (should be already edited). Have already the chips, but your's is another good idea!
I'm iterrested to know what's your plan. (I build a joystik for the first micsoft flight simu here, 1985), but now it's difficult to get such a chassis here.
..and how to get the bass woofer to the rear? Got a very good recording from D.Davis with a super bass from rear (4.0)

(Actual one channel of a JVC makes only thunder, without input. have to figure out where it comes, maybe the varistors. Power trans & elyth already changed...)

Last edited:
Except that that only works with PCM. If you want to output DSD an analogue solution is necessary.............................
Actually, the OPPO BDP-10x and UDP-20x players are able to either: Transcode DSD to PCM to Analogue. Or convert DSD directly to Analogue (using its internal DAC) - Which is the option I use.

Capture.PNG

With respect to everyone... It's all gone quite a bit off-topic.

Last edited:
Actually, the OPPO BDP-10x and UDP-20x players are able to either: Transcode DSD to PCM to Analogue. Or convert DSD directly to Analogue (using its internal DAC) - Which is the option I use.

View attachment 91163

With respect to everyone... It's all gone quite a bit off-topic.
Yes but we/you were talking about doing the volume, balance and channel downmixing via the Oppo fed directly to the amplifiers. You can only do that with PCM.

You can convert the DSD to PCM then DSP can be done in the Oppo or receiver but defeats the benefit of native DSD decoding.

While some here disbelieve that there is any sound difference I feel that the difference is huge, at least with my BDP-103, other models might do a better job of PCM conversion, I don't know! I strive to keep DSD as DSD wherever possible.

My DIY mixer, tone control, active crossover unit which feeds my DIY tube amps (mid/high) and DIY MOS-Fet amplifiers for the bass.
Nice one... This sounds really interesting. Have you got any pictures?

I built a couple of MOSFET amplifiers (from a kit) many years ago along with a very nice toroidal power supply (using a design featured in an electronics magazine). Sadly the power supply got beer spilt all over it and I never got around to repairing it. Both happy and sad days...

Now we really are off-topic :eek:

Nice one... This sounds really interesting. Have you got any pictures?

I built a couple of MOSFET amplifiers (from a kit) many years ago along with a very nice toroidal power supply (using a design featured in an electronics magazine). Sadly the power supply got beer spilt all over it and I never got around to repairing it. Both happy and sad days...

Now we really are off-topic :eek:
Pictures in this thread.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/show-us-your-gear.6450/page-31

Over time keeping things geared toward and focused on quad playback is backing yourself into a corner, as fewer options are made available with each year that passes that will seamlessly intergrate into your increasingly legacy gear. There's nothing to say a quality modern 5.1+ amp couldn't drive your current quad speakers effectively, which opens you up to adding a sub and center speaker to playback more surround formats as desired, while still being able to play quad in the exact full-range manner you want on demand. And using your existing quad speakers in 5.1+ will result in a great soundstage for that format as well.

In the spirit of being an objective voice where none was requested - dump the old gear and move on. You can get what you want with newer equipment and expand playback capabilities tenfold, and probably within that budget you're getting ready to spend on just the niche player.

My $0.02

You can use Goldwave, Audacity, Audition or most any audio editing program to convert wave to flac.

One of easiest and most versatile methods is to use Foobar. You can also easily adjust the number of channels i.e. 4.0 to 5.1 or vice versa. You can convert separate files to a single file with cue sheet or vice versa. If you must convert DSD (flies or SACD iso) to PCM you can do that as well. I use the "small filter" (covered in another thread) for best (DSD to PCM) conversion sound quality.

Another useful program is dBpoweramp, great for CD ripping as well as file conversion. Great for editing ID tags as well.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am having the most difficult time trying to find a new or used SACD player to include with my Pioneer quad setup. I have read many reviews of both new and used players and cannot decide which is the best bang for the buck. I would mostly use this for jazz and classical.

I'd like to keep it Pioneer but not married to it. The Luxman D380 looks really nice, as does the Marantz 30n, but both are at the top of the price point. Really, at this time I'm looking for something that is silver and can play in all four speakers. I would say that new or used, $2K would be the most I would spend. Around $1K would be a target, but would be interested to hear what you suggest no matter what. I would welcome any suggestions you have at this point.

Thanks,
Brian
I have a Sony DVP-NS775V that I scored off of Mercari for $20. It’s silver, has analogue outputs, and sounds terrific. Highly recommend. You can score a used one off eBay right now for $25

I have a Sony DVP-NS775V that I scored off of Mercari for $20. It’s silver, has analogue outputs, and sounds terrific. Highly recommend. You can score a used one off eBay right now for $25
Yeah, I was able to grab a Sony SCD-CE595 for $40 on FB Marketplace. Five-disc changer and matches my Sony stereo five-disc changer that I got in 1994. Looking forward to hooking it up …

Yeah, I was able to grab a Sony SCD-CE595 for $40 on FB Marketplace. Five-disc changer and matches my Sony stereo five-disc changer that I got in 1994. Looking forward to hooking it up …
Good to hear that! Hoping it treats you well ☺️

Back