Quad noob

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdog0622

I apologize if what I’m about to ask has been discussed before or if I’m posting in the wrong spot.
I am brand new to audiophile equipment and quad. I found a pioneer qx-949a in the scrap so I want to use it.
I’m slightly confused on these coding and decoding things. From my understanding CD-4 is not coded? While SQ and QS are coded and need to be decoded?
I believe my receiver already has the deciding features so that isn’t something to worry about?
Also is it even possible to use my qx-949a as the center for an entertainment setup?
I enjoy watching shows and videos that are in stereo so is there someway to process it to play through 4 channels?
Also is it actually necessary to have a computer just to process the quad sound from the internet? It might be a while before I can afford an 8 track player or record player so I want to know if I can somehow play the quad sound from online.
Again I apologize if I’m asking too much or if I’m asking dumb questions. I’m brand new to both quad and vintage audio.

I apologize if what I’m about to ask has been discussed before or if I’m posting in the wrong spot.
I am brand new to audiophile equipment and quad. I found a pioneer qx-949a in the scrap so I want to use it.
I’m slightly confused on these coding and decoding things. From my understanding CD-4 is not coded? While SQ and QS are coded and need to be decoded?
I believe my receiver already has the deciding features so that isn’t something to worry about?
Also is it even possible to use my qx-949a as the center for an entertainment setup?
I enjoy watching shows and videos that are in stereo so is there someway to process it to play through 4 channels?
Also is it actually necessary to have a computer just to process the quad sound from the internet? It might be a while before I can afford an 8 track player or record player so I want to know if I can somehow play the quad sound from online.
Again I apologize if I’m asking too much or if I’m asking dumb questions. I’m brand new to both quad and vintage audio.

Hey gdog! Pleased to meet you!

I'm sure there will be many specific replies forthcoming. But in more general terms it's good to take advantage of the info resources already out there. Try a Wiki search for quadraphonic or surround sound. There are some permalinks on the forum front page that has a wealth of info worth checking out. And the QQ search function is a valuable tool.

Nice catch on the Pioneer. Seems to be a popular model.

The QX-949A does all three, CD-4 SQ and QS. SQ and QS are matrixed, that is all the surround information is mixed together (encoded) as two channel stereo. The decoder splits the stereo back into four channels. That process while not perfect can produce very pleasing results.

That model has a full-logic decoder and so should not be too bad with SQ sources. For QS and EV-4 you would use RM. I don't know just how good the RM decoder is but it can also be used on stereo (including TV) to enhance the sound as well.

CD-4 is a discrete system which uses high frequency signals to carry the front to back difference signals. They are mixed together to achieve the discrete output. It relies on the use of a special phono cartridge capable of at least 45 kHz frequency response. It is very finicky to set up, requiring low capacitance cables and proper adjustment/alignment of the cartridge. I would start off with matrix before attempting CD-4.

manual available here Pioneer QX-949 MW/FM Four Channel Receiver Manual | HiFi Engine

The QX-949A does all three, CD-4 SQ and QS. SQ and QS are matrixed, that is all the surround information is mixed together (encoded) as two channel stereo. The decoder splits the stereo back into four channels. That process while not perfect can produce very pleasing results.

That model has a full-logic decoder and so should not be too bad with SQ sources. For QS and EV-4 you would use RM. I don't know just how good the RM decoder is but it can also be used on stereo (including TV) to enhance the sound as well.

CD-4 is a discrete system which uses high frequency signals to carry the front to back difference signals. They are mixed together to achieve the discrete output. It relies on the use of a special phono cartridge capable of at least 45 kHz frequency response. It is very finicky to set up, requiring low capacitance cables and proper adjustment/alignment of the cartridge. I would start off with matrix before attempting CD-4.

manual available here Pioneer QX-949 MW/FM Four Channel Receiver Manual | HiFi Engine
How would one connect a stereo output to the receiver?
The issue I’m having is the fact that the stereo output only has left and right channel while the receiver needs front left right and back left right.
Right now I have two sets of speakers both connected to channel A and B. How could I utilize channel C and D with a stereo output?
Would I need like a 5.1 surround sound player to utilize those channels?

The issue I’m having is the fact that the stereo output only has left and right channel while the receiver needs front left right and back left right.
Right now I have two sets of speakers both connected to channel A and B. How could I utilize channel C and D with a stereo output?
Would I need like a 5.1 surround sound player to utilize those channels?
I think it would be good to follow @par4ken suggestion to read the user manual.

You would use the Aux (auxiliary) input. It is a stereo input located right beside the two turntable inputs. Alternatively you could use the 2-channel tape input.

Download the operating Instructions Manual free from Hifi-Engine. Or PM me and I'll send the copy to you.

I think it would be good to follow @par4ken suggestion to read the user manual.
I read multiple times before and somehow i just completely missed the part about it needing to be connected to the main part not the stereo.
I have another question though
The diagram says that the turn table should be connected to phono 1/2 and the ground there as well.
I don’t have a turn table so I was trying to connect my cd player to it and it sounded awful.
Is there something wrong with the receiver or is it because of the ground?

You would use the Aux (auxiliary) input. It is a stereo input located right beside the two turntable inputs. Alternatively you could use the 2-channel tape input.

Download the operating Instructions Manual free from Hifi-Engine. Or PM me and I'll send the copy to you.
Hi I found the aux phono 1/2 and tape monitor 1.
The audio sounds good coming from aux and tape monitor 1.
The audio coming from phono 1/2 sounds awful.
Is this something wrong with the receiver or the ground?

Hi I found the aux phono 1/2 and tape monitor 1.
The audio sounds good coming from aux and tape monitor 1.
The audio coming from phono 1/2 sounds awful.
Is this something wrong with the receiver or the ground?
The phono inputs are made to connect to a phono cartridge. They are not designed for line level audio signals.

I read multiple times before and somehow i just completely missed the part about it needing to be connected to the main part not the stereo.
The diagram says that the turn table should be connected to phono 1/2 and the ground there as well.
I don’t have a turn table so I was trying to connect my cd player to it and it sounded awful.
See answer in previous post. You can only use phono 1 and 2 to connect a turntable.

The phono inputs are made to connect to a phono cartridge. They are not designed for line level audio signals.
I truly apologize for all the question but I have one last one.
According to the manual if I plug in something to the 2ch tape monitor I should be able to turn the audio on and off via the 2ch tape monitor button.
Despite that even when the button isn’t depressed the sound can be heard
When the button is depressed no sound at all can be heard.
Am I not understanding something or is there something wrong?
Again I’m sorry for all the questions.

One thing - double check to see if you're using the tape 2 input (seems like the input cable may be connected to the output).

Kirk Bayne

I truly apologize for all the question but I have one last one.
According to the manual if I plug in something to the 2ch tape monitor I should be able to turn the audio on and off via the 2ch tape monitor button.
Despite that even when the button isn’t depressed the sound can be heard
When the button is depressed no sound at all can be heard.
Am I not understanding something or is there something wrong?
Again I’m sorry for all the questions.
The tape monitor was designed to be used for recording to a tape machine. When on you will hear the output from the tape deck, off you will hear the input source. The first set of jacks marked REC is an output meant to be connected to the tape recorders input. The second set likely marked MON or PB (I can't read the manual copy) is the input: connect your input signal there and the monitor button will turn it on and off.

I think that you might be confusing the input and outputs. The Machine's output goes to the amplifiers input and the amplifiers output goes to the recorders input.

Connect the output of the cd player to Aux front left and front right, then set the mode to SQ or RM. The receiver will then convert your two channel source into four channel output from the speakers.

For quad from the pc(yt and mch files), you will need a multichannel audio interface(which you can then connect to 4ch aux or tape mon. of the receiver). The cheapest is the cm6206lx usb card but there are better quality ones that use hdmi and such.

Hopefully by now, you have your CD connected to the aux input and it’s passing signals through your decoder. A few CDs are quad encoded, but as far as I know, they are re-releases of LPs that were only released as encoded quads, with no separate stereo release. Nonetheless, a matrix decoder (SQ, QS, RM, & EV) can sound impressive with a stereo signal.

I see you’ve found out that a phono input is designed for a much lower signal than a line-level input like AUX or TAPE. When you get a trntable with cartridge, note that even those have a couple of different output standards, so pay attention to whether the cartridge is MM (moving magnet) or MC (moving coil). But that’s for another day.

Welcome aboard! This hobby is mostly about sonic awesomeness, and you’re about to get your mind blown.

I have quite a few CDs marked Dolby Surround. They play in the QS position.

The tape monitor was designed to be used for recording to a tape machine. When on you will hear the output from the tape deck, off you will hear the input source. The first set of jacks marked REC is an output meant to be connected to the tape recorders input. The second set likely marked MON or PB (I can't read the manual copy) is the input: connect your input signal there and the monitor button will turn it on and off.

I think that you might be confusing the input and outputs. The Machine's output goes to the amplifiers input and the amplifiers output goes to the recorders input.
Somehow I just missed that guess it’s because on the 949A it’s marked pb while the manual is for the 949 and it’s marked mon
Either way everything is working as it should now
Now i just need to get my hands on some used vinyls and sacds to listen to

The matrix decoders (labeled SQ and RM[is actually Sansui QS]) will create fake surround sound from any stereo source - hook up an FM antenna and see how the stereo FM broadcasts in your area sound in fake surround sound (RM/QS is generally considered to be best for this).

Kirk Bayne

Back