Issues with playing sacd

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danlevert

QQ Supporter
Hello all,
i have a Sony UBP-X500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player, which plays sacd discs, but I have issues playing music in that format. I hear some background noise in the surround speakers, kind of like a continuous buzz that becomes very apparent in the more quite parts of music. Does anybody know why this is happening and have a fix for it.
Thanks in advance!

Hello all,
i have a Sony UBP-X500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player, which plays sacd discs, but I have issues playing music in that format. I hear some background noise in the surround speakers, kind of like a continuous buzz that becomes very apparent in the more quite parts of music. Does anybody know why this is happening and have a fix for it.
Thanks in advance!
Tell us more about what is connected to the player and how.

Thanks Hal! I’m using a Denon HEOS 5.1 receiver and also HEOS wireless speakers as surround. I only have problems when playing SACD, which leads me to think the problem lies with my Blu-ray player.

Thanks Hal! I’m using a Denon HEOS 5.1 receiver and also HEOS wireless speakers as surround. I only have problems when playing SACD, which leads me to think the problem lies with my Blu-ray player.
How is the player connected to the AVR? FWIW, according to Denon:
Supported File Formats5.6 MHz DSD, AAC, ALAC, FLAC, MP3, WAV, WMA via USB/Network
Note the absence of DSD.

Uhh... It lists DSD first there.
Yep, and up to double rate (5.6MHz/128fs). That's likely stereo only, though, for all file types listed. I know that's the case for my Marantz SR6014. Note that this only applies to file playback via USB or over the network, not to HDMI sources like a disc player.

Are you using the disc player to decode the SACD? That means multiple analog audio connections to the receiver. If you are using HDMI, you’re probably depending on the receiver to do the decoding.

How is the player connected to the AVR? FWIW, according to Denon:
Supported File Formats5.6 MHz DSD, AAC, ALAC, FLAC, MP3, WAV, WMA via USB/Network
Note the absence of DSD.
Duh. Read it too fast.

FWIW, those are file formats and the user manual makes no other mention of DSD.

I'd bet money it's the wireless speakers ('weakest link' in the audio playback chain). Try another format disc/surround source other than sacd and listen again.

Next option could be the receiver and how it's handling the stream from the bluray player. My receiver is mostly set to 'auto' for surround source type/detection. This allows the purest signal from the source to make it to the speakers, leaving nothing to chance having the receiving doing any additional (and unnecessary) processing.

Back