Ambrosia in Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
In early August, I attended a private remembrance party. Lo and behold, Alan Parsons and his lovely wife were also in attendance. We sat together and chatted a bit for about 90 minutes. It was some earnest, down to earth contemplating the life and loss of a person's life, reflection for the most part. He helped me try to put on a necklace that was clearly too small and we had a laugh at that. I did refill his Dixie cup with red wine a time or two as I recall.

Shortly into this, I reminded him we'd met before in 2007 in Nashville on his recording studios tour. He wanted so badly to play us a couple DTS Surround tracks and they could just never get together with a CD player and DTS decoder. He later sent the tracks to me on a CD. [the 2007 chronicle of all this is down for refurbishing; it didn't age well] Alan also mentioned working on surround for Alan Parsons Project - Pyramid? I think that's generally known.

In the process of re-telling that bit I reminded him of the 2007 autograph he gave me in an Ambrosia CD booklet. He gave me a vague smile at that. So I got up the courage to ask "Are we ever going to see those first two Ambrosia albums in surround? [He mixed the 1st; produced and mixed SINT album] Bigger smile, slight pause, yes, these are going to happen. Money has changed hands, the digital transfers of the multis are done. Shouldn't be too long... David Pack was mentioned in there as involved and they'd just done some recording at Abbey Road, another story begins...

APAutograph.jpg

Last edited:
In early August, I attended a private remembrance party. Lo and behold, Alan Parsons and his lovely wife were also in attendance. We sat together and chatted a bit for about 90 minutes. It was some earnest, down to earth contemplating the life and loss of a person's life, reflection for the most part. He helped me try to put on a necklace that was clearly too small and we had a laugh of that. I did refill his Dixie cup with red wine a time or two as I recall.

Shortly into this, I reminded we'd met in 2007 in Nashville on his recording studios tour. He wanted so badly to play us a couple DTS Surround tracks and they could just never get together with a CD player and DTS decoder. He later sent the tracks to me on a CD. [the 2007 chronicle of all this is down for refurbishing; it didn't age well] Alan also mentioned working on surround for Alan Parsons Project - Pyramid? I think that's generally known.

In the process of re-telling that bit I reminded him of the 2007 autograph he gave me in an Ambrosia CD booklet. He gave me a vague smile at that. So I got up the courage to ask "Are we ever going to see those first two Ambrosia albums in surround? [He mixed the 1st; produced and mixed SINT album] Bigger smile, slight pause, yes, these are going to happen. Money has changed hands, the digital transfers of the multis are done. Shouldn't be too long... David Pack was mentioned in there as involved and they'd just done some recording at Abbey Road, another story begins...

View attachment 96658

OMG! Tim, that is just amazing news, even if it's not official. I absolutely LOVE Ambrosia, especially earlier stuff. Wow!

In early August, I attended a private remembrance party. Lo and behold, Alan Parsons and his lovely wife were also in attendance. We sat together and chatted a bit for about 90 minutes. It was some earnest, down to earth contemplating the life and loss of a person's life, reflection for the most part. He helped me try to put on a necklace that was clearly too small and we had a laugh of that. I did refill his Dixie cup with red wine a time or two as I recall.

Shortly into this, I reminded we'd met in 2007 in Nashville on his recording studios tour. He wanted so badly to play us a couple DTS Surround tracks and they could just never get together with a CD player and DTS decoder. He later sent the tracks to me on a CD. [the 2007 chronicle of all this is down for refurbishing; it didn't age well] Alan also mentioned working on surround for Alan Parsons Project - Pyramid? I think that's generally known.

View attachment 96658
this would be a dream come true !!!!

The mix by Alan Parsons on the debut album by Ambrosia is truly brilliant and one of
the best things that Alan has ever done, and that is saying a lot. The album was recorded
at a small studio in North Hollywood called Mama Joe's. Ambrosia had a few years earlier
become friends with Gordon Parry the chief classical recording engineer for Decca records,
so no expense was spared in the recording. They flew microphones in from all over Europe,
and even completely dismantled the control room to move it to Royce Hall at UCLA to
record the pipe organ for one of the great Prog rock songs of all time Drink Of Water.
When the album was just about finished they thought about who they would get to mix it.
Only one name came to mind, Alan Parsons, who had just finished Dark Side Of The Moon.
But how would they get in contact with Alan. They knew he worked a lot at Abbey Road
studios, so one day they just called Abbey Road expecting to maybe find a way to contact
him. Alan answered the phone. He had been working late and was just passing the
receptionist's desk on his way to dinner and heard the phone ringing and picked it up.
After hearing about the pains taking recording process that had gone into this debut
album he was very much intrigued and wanted to hear some of the tracks before deciding
whether or not to mix it. He loved what he heard and he did an amazing job piecing together
all of the multitracking that had been done. The album was nominated for a Grammy as
best recorded album of 1975.

View attachment 96658
Nice, nice indeed. A reason for bein' alive. Great story (stories), Tim.

View attachment 96658
Those would be Holy Grails for me. Especially Somewhere I've Never traveled

Wowsa! Look at Tim, hobnobbing with R&R Royalty!
Good news indeed on the Ambrosia.
Maybe if you had slipped Alan one more glass of wine he might have told you when I Robot was going to be released in Atmos? lol.
Without prompting from me, Alan did mention next year for I Robot. Likely not Atmos though.

I thought Alan was dabbling in Atmos now, was set up for it. Maybe I was just dreaming, IDK. But I Robot in 5.1 would still be sweet.
Maybe in the next round when we all get to buy the catalog again in Atmos.

I say that with a mixture of cynicism over how record companies love to sell us the same content in different formats, and the unapologetic excitement Iā€™d have to giving in and buying it all again in Atmos.

Sorry for slight OT, but I'd like Alan to do something with the post-Project work. Particularly since Ian Bairnson died and he wrote a lot for those albums. Also, there's an unreleased concert video from 1996, as I found out by accident - whole story here: Alan Parsons Project album-by-album thread

I would pay "Who's Next" kinda money for multi-channel mixes of the Ambrosia albums, mixed by Alan Parsons šŸŽ¶ :love:
Luckily, I don't think I will have too :)

I boldly stated back in January 2020, in the "Forget Reality" thread, post #156 ...

>>>>>>>>>>>>
My Dream List.
I would pre-order all of these immediately :

Ambrosia - Somewhere I've Never Travelled [ Alan Parsons produced & engineered, should also do the surround mix ]
P.D.Q. Bach - 1712 Overture & Other Musical Assaults [ balloons popping in surround ... Goose Bumps !! ]
Robin Trower - Bridge Of Sighs
The Eagles - Desperado
Tower of Power - Bump City
The Outlaws - debut album
Camel - Moon Madness, Breathless
Andreas Vollenweider - White Winds
War - All Day Music, Deliver The Word, World Is A Ghetto
Enya - Watermark
The Who - Who's Next
Flim & The BBs - Tricycle, Big Notes
10cc - Bloody Tourists
Al Stewart - Year of the Cat [ Alan Parsons produced, should also do the surround mix ]
>>>>>>>>>>>

And...
Two of my Dream List titles have actually materialized

Last edited:
Back