Ambrosia in Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@timbre4 - any further news on this band; really looking forward to something?
I’m not in regular contact with AP so nothing further on this. When he said the transfers had been done and shipped, that signals commitment. I think it’s just a matter of his schedule for the mixing.

Last edited:
If you want to hear David Pack doing non-sappy songs, his three contributions to the first Alan Parsons "solo" album are worth checking out. Assuming you don't know them already.

I'm not even 35 :LOL: But the only Ambrosia song I ever heard on the radio was "Biggest Part of Me", and it wasn't until I got into the Parsons discography and felt like I had to check out what David Pack was up to on those first two Ambrosia albums that I listened to them.

I had to revisit this album, not realizing David Pack is on it.

I had to revisit this album, not realizing David Pack is on it.
David's vocals on the closing track, Oh Life (There Must Be Something More) brought me to tears the first time I listened to that album. Very moving lyrics, beautifully performed.

Ten years ago (almost to the day), I had the good fortune of seeing David do a live show at a jazz venue in Portland, Oregon. I got to speak with him after the show and asked him specifically about that album and the tracks he performed on. He said that he and Alan Parsons were both very pleased with how the album turned out. That evening stands out as one of my favorite concert experiences.

David's vocals on the closing track, Oh Life (There Must Be Something More) brought me to tears the first time I listened to that album. Very moving lyrics, beautifully performed.

Ten years ago (almost to the day), I had the good fortune of seeing David do a live show at a jazz venue in Portland, Oregon. I got to speak with him after the show and asked him specifically about that album and the tracks he performed on. He said that he and Alan Parsons were both very pleased with how the album turned out. That evening stands out as one of my favorite concert experiences.
Phenomenal song that makes me cry every time I hear it, still the best “solo” AP album for me

Ambrosia regularly performs "Magical Mystery Tour" during their live shows. The song also appears on the Ambrosia live albums "Live At The Galaxy" (2002) & "Greatest Hits Live" (2010).
As much as I love Joe Puerto's voice, especially Drink Of Water, one of my favorites, Ambrosia without David Pack is Ambrosia as much as Journey is Journey is without Steve Perry, Foreigner is Foreigner without Lou Gramm, Yes is Yes without Jon Anderson, Grand Funk is Grand Funk without Mark Farner, etc.........you know, with lead singer impersonators :rolleyes:

Don't you think "Mama Frog" & "Drink of Water" are fantastic 'Deep Tracks' ?
If you think the 1st Ambrosia album is "stellar", you will find their 2nd album "Somewhere I've Never Travelled" to be a Prog Rock 'treat'.
I look forward to your reaction to "The Brunt", "Danse With Me George (Chopin's Plea)", "Harvey", "Cowboy Star", ...

The first two Ambrosia albums reside inside my all-time 'Top Ten' favorites list, with SINT at position #1.
Their 5th album, "Road Island"(1984), resides just outside my 'Top Ten' 🎶 😀
I agree with you, that the first two albums are by far the best, (self-titled as my "desert island" Ambrosia album with Drink Of Water as favorite track, and I do love the creativity of Somewhere") and what I think of as classic Ambrosia, Prog Rock. Life in LA still had a feel for that, but they expanded with some synth sounds, but tracks not as strong. After that, I don't ever listen to that mushy blue-eyed sappy soul top 40 radio sound that went to, trying to score with the Mike McDonald lovers. IMHO David and Joe were too good to put out that crap! Road Island was their attempt it seemed to bring back some of their original fan base, but it never had a real hit, but was a nice harder edgier sound, but they had lost that Prog feel of the first 2 albums and could never get it back, nor that creativity of the first 2 albums I felt.

Recently, someone uploaded a live bootleg of the Alan Parsons Live Project from the Time Machine tour (i.e. still with Ian Bairnson and Stuart Elliott) where David Pack guested on that song. (Supposedly there's also a version of him singing it at a charity event in 1993 with Simon Phillips on drums, but it's never been released.)

From the same recording, there's also Pack's opening set:

Back