Another Poll: 5.1 or 5.0?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5.1 or 5.0?

• Total voters
(maybe a 4.1 option for outliers like me)

The .1 has been useful to me (music & movies), 4 Polk T15s & 1 Polk PSW108 (I haven't set the subwoofer level properly yet, just by ear).

Kirk Bayne

I don't understand what you mean by "a silent but present LFE channel." If it is silent, why have it present?
So that those AVRs/Disc-Players etc. which haven't been designed properly won't mess up the channel allocation if they don't see 6 channels in the data. It happens often with a missing centre channel so Quad doesn't always play properly - some just output stereo no rears. So, it is a fail safe for compatibility, which sadly seems to being omitted/forgotten these days.

So that those AVRs/Disc-Players etc. which haven't been designed properly won't mess up the channel allocation if they don't see 6 channels in the data. It happens often with a missing centre channel so Quad doesn't always play properly - some just output stereo no rears. So, it is a fail safe for compatibility, which sadly seems to being omitted/forgotten these days.
That’s right, so I changed my vote to 5.1 with silent LFE. 5.0 doesn’t make sense because of what you stated above.

(maybe a 4.1 option for outliers like me)

The .1 has been useful to me (music & movies), 4 Polk T15s & 1 Polk PSW108 (I haven't set the subwoofer level properly yet, just by ear).

Kirk Bayne

How do u like those Polk T15s? Ive got 2 Polk Rtia7 fronts & 2 Polk Moniter 60s for rears. Bought seperately n years apart. I like em and think their damn good.

The T15s are very good in my application (a small Home Theater for 1 in my basement), until I figure out what to do about Atmos (et al.) for my upstairs media room, I plan to duplicate this setup there too.

Kirk Bayne

My vote is for 5.1 with silent LFE channel because I have seen issues with both 5.0 and 4.0 with various AVRs, BluRay players, and some software. Everything seems to play nice with 5.1, so a vote for 5.1 with nothing in the LFE .1 channel.

I have 4 full range large speakers, plus a large full range centre to match the fronts, so ideally a 5.1 signal, with only 4.0 being used (or the centre very sparingly, as it's not as large as the full sized L+R fronts).

Also, I have an active sub for the .1 but I basically never bother turning it on, as the main fronts are plenty good enough to shake the house and it feels like that shouldn't be on for music anyway (just films, but I still don't bother then either).

Last edited:
I’m not sure exactly what question is being asked, so I voted the way my room is set up. My sub is self-powered Outlaw, and most of the time, the red light is on, meaning it’s in standby. It’s connected to a Marantz pre-pro, so there is bass management.

5.1 for me, probably going to 5.1.4 in a year or so, as finances permit purchases.

I'm listening to the new Animals 5.1 mix.
There's almost no signal in the LFE so far.

So, how about 5.1, but if the LFE doesn't serve your vision of the music, just a token sub-audible amount of signal -30dB down from what's in the mains?
That's what I'm hearing and seeing on meters and waveforms as the industry standard on many non-EDM titles.

Actually 4.1, but I voted 5.1. I don't use the center. Like somebody else noted, I love the sub. I do not have any bass management...just sub. I enjoy the balanced, deep, solid bass with the subs. Also should note, my 4 towers are Klipsch, are bright by nature and have small woofers at 6". I have 2 each 10" subs and 1 each 12" sub. Will probably add another 12" some day.

I'm asking from a mixing/delivery perspective.
.1 content should only be necessary for the people that have weak, not full band speakers. I.e. those with cheap Home Cinema speakers.

For the people that have full range speakers or know how to configure well the Bass Management with subwoofers, there is no need of LFE content for music.

BUT, if you include LFE content, (easy way would be front content with low pass filter applied), be very careful in the mix/master to 'Align' the LFE waveform with the Fronts bass to avoid the LFE delayed signal that could cause partial bass cancelations in the room. Warning: low pass filter introduces that delay. You should correct it afterwards. There is a full thread in the forum about this.

So, for me it should be 5.1 (with silent LFE) to be fully compatible.

BUT for every people, 5.1 with LFE bass aligned with fronts bass.

I’m still confused. Why have a sub if it’s silenced? Sure most music doesn’t go below the 40 Hz that my Emotiva stealth 8s will hit, but there are a few big honkin’ pipe organ notes that go to 16 (take THAT, Spinal Tap!) Hz.

Is the poll just for music reproduction? Without the sub, “Interstellar” would be half as entertaining.

Does anyone remember “Earthquake” in “Sensurround?”

I’m still confused. Why have a sub if it’s silenced?
I'm probably wrong, but I'm thinking the "silence" is in reference to the LFE effects specifically that the AVR would provide based on the media. The LFE effect would be turned off or "silenced". The sub would still be playing the 80hz ( for arguments sake) and less frequencies / music.

I’m still confused. Why have a sub if it’s silenced? Sure most music doesn’t go below the 40 Hz that my Emotiva stealth 8s will hit, but there are a few big honkin’ pipe organ notes that go to 16 (take THAT, Spinal Tap!) Hz.

Is the poll just for music reproduction? Without the sub, “Interstellar” would be half as entertaining.

Does anyone remember “Earthquake” in “Sensurround?”
The AVR's output to the subwoofer has two mixed contents:

1) The LFE channel that is the .1 content channel. This channel can be empty or silence the same way the Center channel is silenced in a Quad mix.

2) The Bass Management content. When a speaker (other than the SUB) is configured as "Small", the frequencies below the crossover (normally 80 Hz but can be configured to other frequency) is sent to the Subwoofer instead of the speaker channel. Otherwise, speaker configured as "Large" receives the full channel band and nothing is sent to the Subwoofer.

Some recommend that all speakers be configured as "Small" even if they are good full bandwith speakers, because the Subwoofer (powered) will be more capable of reproducing the low frequencies. And the main speakers will be working better and cleaner with less load.

Some others prefer to have full bass from all main speakers if they are capable of low bass.

The music with very low frequency (organ, electronic synthesized,...) can be properly played through Bass Management to the Subwoofer. There is no need to add content to the LFE channel, that could be phase delayed, thus generating room cancelation problems.

But if someone has speakers not capable of low frequencies and the Bass Management is not properly configured, then he will miss the low frequencies. For that people, I think, some producers keep generating content for the LFE channel.

Back