Poll: Physical Releases for Non-Albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you want DVD-Rs for small EPs?

• Total voters

Mr. Afternoon

Mixing Engineer & Artist
As my main audience, QQ gets to be polled...once again! I hope I'm not being too annoying with these, but it helps me give you guys what you want best. 😄

Albums are great. Albums get real pressed discs. Those are cool. We're not talking about those.

Occasionally throughout the year I'll get distracted and make an EP or two that has no relation with whatever album is supposed to be next. Obviously doing proper DVD-As for a small nibble of music that many might not be interested in is not in my best financial interest. Usually I just release it digitally in 5.1 and Stereo, but am aware that a lot of people prefer to have the music in their hands no matter what. Should I offer some DVD-Rs for you guys? Obviously they're not of the same standard as a pressed disc, but they're something.

Just wondering, assuming it did make financial sense, would you still prefer digital?
I suppose at that point, it depends on the total cost. An EP should not be expensive, yet the shipping will always be the same as a disc is a disc, even if it's only 14 minutes long. Long story short, I don't like EP's, so I doubt I would go to the trouble to buy physical disc that's an EP.

I suppose at that point, it depends on the total cost. An EP should not be expensive, yet the shipping will always be the same as a disc is a disc, even if it's only 14 minutes long. Long story short, I don't like EP's, so I doubt I would go to the trouble to buy physical disc that's an EP.
Good points. I suppose it would depend on the EP but there have been some really good ones through the years that I would have been disappointed not to get a physical copy. Of course as long as I can get it one way or another (and there always is), it will suffice.

I voted digital - a download can be as good as a physical disc, and I’m fairly certain that distribution costs would be less without physical product.

And although I haven’t seen anything like this in ages, how about a mini DVD? When I first started burning discs, I bought a handful of mini CD-Rs and they worked fine. Curiosity alone has me wondering about the small format for DVDs and Blu-rays.

Last edited:
Back