Anyone use a Mac for Blu Ray Playback?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Failed Muso

800 Club - QQ All-Star
In a last ditch attempt to seek out alternative views and possibly some assistance, I thought I'd reach out and see if there are others like me who persevere with Blu Ray on their Mac's, specifically Blu Ray Audio.

When Steve Jobs famously said that Apple wouldn't be adopting Blu Ray because it was "just a bag of hurt", he was either being spot on in his assumptions, or his very words just killed any potential adoption of the format. Either way, that bag of hurt does, to some degree, exist. I have two 5.1 rigs at home. One is downstairs in my lounge and is capable of playing back nearly every physical and digital format via dedicated hardware. Upstairs, in my studio/office, I have retired some of my old hardware up there so I can benefit from 5.1 whilst I work. I have dedicated Pioneer universal DVD players that handle everything except Blu Ray and my iMac is connected to my ageing Sony amp via optical. So, rather than buy a standalone Blu Ray player, which I couldn't easily connect to my HDMI-free Sony receiver, I decided to buy a USB Blu Ray drive (Samsung) and use that instead, fully aware that all the audio would get pushed down to lossy DD/DTS. This doesn't bother me up here, as this isn't my primary listening place. Up here, I care more about 5.1 than I do hi-res.

Anyway, the real issue is finding a suitable Blu Ray player application for the Mac. I ended up choosing Macgo Blu Ray Player as it had the most positive reviews and turned out to be the same code base as virtually all the other Mac Blu Ray player applications (Aieesoft, Aurora, iDeer, AnyMP4). I'm not sure how that works, but it seems there are a handful of developers that all use the same base application and then tack on their own front end. There was one other application called DVDFab Media Player.

The problem is that with almost each new Blu Ray Audio release, each disc seems to fail to play or be recognised by these players. I'm assuming that this has to do with ever-changing functional libraries, keys and licensing that is part of the Blu Ray paradigm. Most recently, Relayer refuses to play and discs like The Endless River, Drums & Wires and Delta Machine will only play in what is known as Quick Play Mode where you have to guess which link is which before you eventually find the correct version you want to listen to. I've emailed their support teams who pretty much tell me they are constantly improving the experience and adding fixes to play the latest discs but I fear they are concentrating on movies, rather than the far smaller audio market.

So, i was wondering if anyone else here has similar stories or issues and whether we can cobble together a bit of knowledge to share with others.

I'm this close (does 'thumb and forefinger millimetres apart' action) to just spending £50 on a cheap standalone deck with a digital co-ax audio out on it... :howl

Look into the forum of MakeMKV, there is a post explaining the commands to type in the terminal to install libraries that will allow VLC to play copy-protected blu-rays... Maybe it's a working solution? (I haven't tested it)

Thank you, Francois :)

I'd tried VLC with little joy but I'll take a look at the forums you mentioned to see if that helps.

Well, I investigated and tried the methods suggested with no joy. My limited knowledge suggests that the key database file, required to unlock the content within the player, is woefully out of date.

I'm now going around in circles looking for a solution, all of which come back to the one Francois kindly posted above. It's not looking hopeful :(

Blu-ray discs play fine through my Mac-Mini 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5, using an external LG Blu-ray drive.
Connected to my amplifier and projector through HDMI I am getting a DTS audio output as well.
Software is Mac Blu-ray Player.
All works fine folks.

By the way, This is only one Mac Blu-ray Player http://www.macblurayplayer.com
This was the original program and the one that works the best.
All the other look-alike programs you see on the market are copies of that, but that in no way has anything to do with the original.

Blu-ray discs play fine through my Mac-Mini 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5, using an external LG Blu-ray drive.
Connected to my amplifier and projector through HDMI I am getting a DTS audio output as well.
Software is Mac Blu-ray Player.
All works fine folks.

By the way, This is only one Mac Blu-ray Player http://www.macblurayplayer.com
This was the original program and the one that works the best.
All the other look-alike programs you see on the market are copies of that, but that in no way has anything to do with the original.

Sadly, Macgo Blu Ray Player does not play many recent discs and this includes movies as well as some Blu Ray audio. I have reported all discs that I have found to be incompatible to the developers, along with log files and I sit and wait for updates. Aieesoft, Aurora, iDeer & AnyMP4 are all derivatives of the Macgo app with different skins on top. I am certain that there is a connection between all of these developers. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a developer willing to create an app that maintains full compatibility with the Blu Ray spec. I fear this is more to do with the chaotic organisation of the Blu Ray format that seems to forego the relative order and uniformity of the DVD Forum that pretty much assured that all DVD's would work in all DVD players.

The search goes on...

Maybe you are right. But we all know that AACS and BD+ changes all the time so the software has to update to decrypt. Have you updated to the latest version?

Maybe you are right. But we all know that AACS and BD+ changes all the time so the software has to update to decrypt. Have you updated to the latest version?

Yes, I have auto-updates switched on and am frequently checking for new version. As you say, with the ever-shifting nature of the DRM system used by Blu Ray, it is clear why Jobs hated Blu Ray so much and why he steered Apple away from it. However, this shouldn't prevent a committed developer from producing an application that keeps up with everything. Apparently, Macgo is the only Mac Blu Ray application that is licensed by the Blu Ray Disc Association so it really ought to be keeping up with the game. I know I, and others, would happily pay for this.

As I typed this, I checked for an update, and found there was one released this morning! Sadly, whilst it now seems to play X-Men: Days of Future Past, albeit it without full menu support, it's still not recognising Yes's Relayer and is therefore still preventing me from getting my 'Prog' on in my upstairs studio.

<taps fingers on desk>

Back