Asking a favor if you own this SACD [World's Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baniels

Howdy folks,

Looking for a quick confirmation about the use of the center channel in this SACD.

613a02O7muL.jpg

I'll skip the drama and jump to the question... is there center channel content on this disc? I expect that there should be, but I'm not able to test (no longer have an SACD player), and I'm diving in again to my library of SACDs, DVD-A, and MCH Flac files... I am working to get Jriver configured properly again. But I've found myself wondering if I'm just chasing my tail. If someone with this SACD could confirm with just a single track -- #2, Livingston Taylor, Isn't She Lovely. Are there vocals coming out of the center channel?

I've tried so many things to get this working, but every time I find nothing coming out of my new center channel (which partly put me on this path again). I'm now wondering if this 5-channel SACD doesn't have any CC content to begin with.

Thanks for the help!

I don’t have this specific compilation but I do have the SACD “Ink” by Livingston Taylor which contains this track. It decodes as 5.0. but the center channel contains no information. It is basically a quad recording with a phantom center channel.

Howdy folks,

Looking for a quick confirmation about the use of the center channel in this SACD.

613a02O7muL.jpg

I'll skip the drama and jump to the question... is there center channel content on this disc? I expect that there should be, but I'm not able to test (no longer have an SACD player), and I'm diving in again to my library of SACDs, DVD-A, and MCH Flac files... I am working to get Jriver configured properly again. But I've found myself wondering if I'm just chasing my tail. If someone with this SACD could confirm with just a single track -- #2, Livingston Taylor, Isn't She Lovely. Are there vocals coming out of the center channel?

I've tried so many things to get this working, but every time I find nothing coming out of my new center channel (which partly put me on this path again). I'm now wondering if this 5-channel SACD doesn't have any CC content to begin with.

Thanks for the help!
Are you sure that title is surround at all, it might be just stereo. I don't have that one, but I have a Sara K. with her track (What's A Little More Rain) on it from this album that isn't an SACD it's all CDs on the Chesky label:
https://www.discogs.com/Sara-K-Closer-Than-They-Appear/master/648623
That song does appear on a Stockfisch Blue-ray & SACD, I have the Blu-ray version, but again a different label.
*edit - on my Blu-ray version, this is in 5.1 with a center channel, but Blu-ray.
https://www.discogs.com/Sara-K-Made-In-The-Shade/release/6364673
I don't see any indication that this one is in surround on discogs:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Worlds-Greatest-Audiophile-Vocal-Recordings/release/8943353
Sorry I couldn't be any more help here.

Last edited:
Thank you! I might very well have been chasing my tail.

Haha. Bought this new CC and thought "this'll be a great disc to enjoy it!"

Well, this has been a great occasion to get back into this forum after many years.

Thanks for your help. And still if anyone else can chime in on this, I'd appreciate it. I think I've got the answer, but if someone says this disc definitely has CC content, I'll have to get back to work.

@J. PUPSTER It's definitely 5.0 channels. I figure it didn't have an LFE. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but the CC appears to be blank on every track I've tested.

I don’t have this specific compilation but I do have the SACD “Ink” by Livingston Taylor which contains this track. It decodes as 5.0. but the center channel contains no information. It is basically a quad recording with a phantom center channel.

I own it. There is no center channel information on this disk. Yes, it's surround. It's a 4.1 surround. Fronts, rears and LFE. Center is silent. Of course, the phantom center is there giving the illusion that sound comes from center speaker.

Thanks for the help everyone. Indeed I chose the wrong disc. Glad I didn't get too far down the rabbit hole trying to solve non-existent problems!

Back