Atmos speakers...again

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
So, I'm sure there are threads discussing Atmos speakers. But honestly, everyone's situation is different. Mine sure is.

So, I currently have all Klipsch speakers. Even Atmos. Only, they are wedge shaped, and really, too big for my small room. Hard to mount based on oddly placed doorways, etc.
I've always been a strong proponent of getting same brand speakers...but in the case of Atmos....I'm not so sure it matters nearly as much.

Even if you tell me it does...I'm not going to listen to you. lmao

I think, in my case, it's more important to get them mounted where they need to go. So, I've seriously been considering these speakers. Mostly becasue of their size and shape. And, I could get 4 of them for not much money at all.

OK........ GO! What you think? I could get a set of 4 for $250 shipped.

1619636376823.png

Hi, I can recommend the ones I use: Monitor Audio Radius 45. They have a decent sound, are really small and reduced weight. And with their wall mounts can be easily pointed to the listening position. Here's the link to their specs, I can take some pics if you want so that you can see the mounts.
https://www.monitoraudio.com/es/productos/radius/radius-45/Hope it helps

I would use speakers made for atmos , irrespective of brand

I would use speakers made for atmos , irrespective of brand

Unless I'm mistaken, the only speakers that claim to be Atmos speakers, are mostly those that are upward firing. As far as height type speakers, used for Atmos, I don't recall that very many at all claim to be Atmos. Just height speakers....

But, if someone could point me to actual Atmos speakers that are somehow different, I'd gladly look at them.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only speakers that claim to be Atmos speakers, are mostly those that are upward firing. As far as height type speakers, used for Atmos, I don't recall that very many at all claim to be Atmos. Just height speakers....

But, if someone could point me to actual Atmos speakers that are somehow different, I'd gladly look at them.
ceiling mount? wall mount? actual freestanding I dont believe is in atmos spec which is why you may not find

Upper wall mount
this is from DOLBY
Left front height/right front height speaker pair

The left front height and right front height speakers should be mounted on the front wall (instead of on the ceiling) in line with an approximately 30 degrees horizontal from the center-front reference. This places the left front height and right front height speakers directly above the left and right speakers. If the left front height and right front height speakers must be mounted on the ceiling, they should be placed no more than one-eighth the distance to the middle of the room, approximately 45 degrees vertical from the center-front reference. This guidance represents a slight change from the original Dolby Pro Logic IIz documentation, which mandated that front height speakers not be placed inside the left and right main speakers (for example, closer to the center speaker).

atmos-installation-guidelines-121318_r3.1.pdf (dolby.com)

Another happy Monitor Audio user here for Atmos. My heights are Radius 90's. Bit bigger than the 45's but they can be wall mounted with the same mounts, pointing down at an angle towards the MLP. Bought one pair new and one pair used to save a little. Of course engage bass management; you can't expect deep bass from speakers in these categories.

I don't believe a speaker has to be advertized as an Atmos speaker at all. Any speaker that can be wall or ceiling mounted in an appropriate way and is of decent quality, should do the job I believe. If you go the ceiling bounce route, this may be different but I prefer speakers directed at me.

Happy hunting!

Hi, I can recommend the ones I use: Monitor Audio Radius 45. They have a decent sound, are really small and reduced weight. And with their wall mounts can be easily pointed to the listening position. Here's the link to their specs, I can take some pics if you want so that you can see the mounts.
https://www.monitoraudio.com/es/productos/radius/radius-45/Hope it helps

I prefer speakers directed at me.
Me too! My Klipsch, were advertised as meant to place on top of speakers, reflecting off ceiling. I honestly didn't like the way that sounded at all. I ended up sticking those same speakers up on the walls angled down and I thought it sounded way better. Only, based on their size and weight, I have little chance to get them mounted where I really want them.

I thought you had the SVS Elevation speakers? That would be my recommendation for an upper wall mount, preferably at the wall/ceiling juncture. Here's a picture of my fronts, and use the same in the back.

svs-jpg.59629

Me too! My Klipsch, were advertised as meant to place on top of speakers, reflecting off ceiling. I honestly didn't like the way that sounded at all. I ended up sticking those same speakers up on the walls angled down and I thought it sounded way better. Only, based on their size and weight, I have little chance to get them mounted where I really want them.
I bought the Klipsch RP-500SA ATMOS speakers and did not like the sound of them when they were firing up and bouncing off of the ceiling so I mounted mine on the ceiling and on the rear wall behind me after testing a lot of different locations. My current complaint is that they do sound different than my base speakers. I only notice the difference when I run the Audyssey frequency sweeps during setup. All my lower speakers sound basically the same during the sweep tones, but the ceiling speakers definitely sound limited in their range... Knowing what I now know about these speakers, I would have bought a similar style bookshelf speaker to mount on my ceiling beam and rear wall.

(From the Dolby ATMOS installation guide.) "overhead speakers should complement the frequency response, output, and power-handling capabilities of the listener-level speakers. Choose overhead speakers that are timbre matched as closely as possible to the primary listener-level speakers. Overhead speakers with a wide dispersion pattern are desirable for use in a Dolby Atmos system. This will ensure the closest replication of the cinematic environment, where overhead speakers are placed high above the listeners."

Also, I'm not convinced that the height speakers should be directed directly at your listening position to create the intended 3D space around you.

Again from Dolby, "If the chosen overhead speakers have a wide dispersion pattern (approximately 45 degrees from the acoustical reference axis over the audio band from 100 Hz to 10 kHz or wider), then speakers may be mounted facing directly downward. For speakers with narrower dispersion patterns, those with aimable or angled elements should be angled toward the primary listening position."

So unless your height speakers fail to meet the above criteria, or your rooms mounting locations, it looks like you should direct them straight down.

Here's a picture of Steve Wilson's studio ATMOS setup. Notice the downward firing height speakers installed by Dolby....

1619644266745.png

David

Could you not take the wedge shape Klipsch Atmos speaker and mount them on the ceiling facing your listening area?

Ceiling mounts.png

If not, perhaps you can mount the two front height speakers (Klipsch wedge shape) on the ceiling pointing at you and the rear height speakers on the rear wall angled down at you?

Could you not take the wedge shape Klipsch Atmos speaker and mount them on the ceiling facing your listening area?
I originally thought I would mount my speakers flat against the ceiling too. My idea was to pull the speaker driver out of the cabinet (my drivers have a plastic ring that has to be popped off first to expose the driver’s screw heads), drill a couple of holes through the back of the cabinet, and then mount the cabinet to the ceiling using toggle bolts. After the speaker cabinets were secure, I could mount the speaker driver back into the cabinet. It seems like it should work.

Back