Beach Boys SACD Remastered Series from Acoustic Sounds

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of mono...we had a discussion about some mono mixes on another SACD and I said it was stereo only..you said some of the tracks were mono...but my Oppo indicated they were all stereo...well I called Oppo today and mentioned this and was told that the Oppo couldn't distinguish a mono track from a stereo track...

That makes sense as the player is still reading 2 channels for mono recordings, it's just that the information is identical.

I'm set...I've only had the 103D for 8 months...I'm good to go:banana:..don't need 4k...I'm happy with my Panasonic 65 inch plasma(VT60 model)..once they perfect OLED with a 70+ size screen I'll be ready for an Oppo update..

I'd like to have it for my 65" screen but willing to wait another year or two for 8k...LOL! (Only Joking!)

4K obsolete already. Now Oppo has to wait for 8K.

I read somewhere that Japanese houses are sort of small so where do they fit a monitor that benefits from 8K?

4K obsolete already. Now Oppo has to wait for 8K.

I read somewhere that Japanese houses are sort of small so where do they fit a monitor that benefits from 8K?

I don't know where they put'em, but in HDTV you can already see too much on the 6 o'clock news. Next thing you know, we will be counting hairs.:yikes

Well it turns out to be some sort of reprocessed stereo on the new disc. I'm not sure exactly what they did but it sounds like much of it is through the application of reverb. It doesn't sound bad, certainly better than the old duophonic process. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could chime in. BTW the other mono track on the LP, "A Young Man is Gone" receives similar treatment.

They should have done Surfin' Safari SACD with this process. That disc isn't a very good value as it is because all you get is the original mono album and nothing else.

The process was more effective on 409 than on Young Man Is Gone. It may have worked good with some of the songs on Surfin' Safari.

They should have done Surfin' Safari SACD with this process. That disc isn't a very good value as it is because all you get is the original mono album and nothing else.

The process was more effective on 409 than on Young Man Is Gone. It may have worked good with some of the songs on Surfin' Safari.

I like the stereo versions of these Beach Boy titles more than the mono...so far...loved 409...

You know when I asked about these mixes (409, Young Man) on the other forum I was told they were modern extraction mixes but subsequent listening makes me doubt that. The stereo effect seems more a result of panning the mono image left and adding reverb rather than from any modern separation technique. My guess is that they are the original pseudo stereo versions.

Surfer Girl is at the top of the charts on Acoustic Sounds with some of the other Beach Boys titles near the top. Surfin' Safari isn't even bubbling under however. No surprise. Who's gonna buy that 25 minute disk? Who knows, maybe they'll find their way to a landfill some day and fifty years later someone will dig them up.

Back