Beach Boys SACD Remastered Series from Acoustic Sounds

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed that the song Little Deuce Coupe is on two of these SACDs. Is it identical on both? I'll wait for Elusive to get these in stock since I only want one of them so far.

I've noticed that the song Little Deuce Coupe is on two of these SACDs. Is it identical on both? I'll wait for Elusive to get these in stock since I only want one of them so far.

I noticed that too...also noticed that 409 is on the mono SACD Surfing Safari as well as on the Little Deuce Coupe disc..which is listed as both Mono and Stereo..so I'm wondering if 409 is only offered as mono....I like Surfer Girl because it has one of my favorites...In My Room..and Little Deuce Coupe...and I like Little Deuce Coupe because it has Be True To Your School...409 and Little Deuce Coupe...I have the SHM SACD version of All Summer Long and I'm happy with it...but I didn't like the Pet Sounds SHM SACD...sold it on Ebay...so I'll try again with the newer version in the summer from Acoustic Sounds...

I noticed that too...also noticed that 409 is on the mono SACD Surfing Safari as well as on the Little Deuce Coupe disc..which is listed as both Mono and Stereo..so I'm wondering if 409 is only offered as mono...

I think so. It appears in mono on my old stereo "Little Deuce Coupe" CD which leads me to believe it was never mixed to stereo.

It's not even mixed to stereo on the new stereo remix CDs. I guess nobody ever thought we'd still be playing Beach Boys music in 2015 so mono was good enough. I assume there's no multi-tracks left either.

My order of 3 titles arrived today - "Surfer Girl", "Little Deuce Coupe" & "Shut Down Vol.2". I've listened to stereo and mono mixes of the "Surfer Girl" album thus far and they sound marvelous, much better than my old HDCD twofer (which I will keep for the bonus cuts and extensive liner notes). Strangely you wouldn't know these new discs contained both mixes from the packaging or discs as they only list the tracks once but I can assure you both are present, the stereo followed by the mono.

My order of 3 titles arrived today - "Surfer Girl", "Little Deuce Coupe" & "Shut Down Vol.2". I've listened to stereo and mono mixes of the "Surfer Girl" album thus far and they sound marvelous, much better than my old HDCD twofer (which I will keep for the bonus cuts and extensive liner notes). Strangely you wouldn't know these new discs contained both mixes from the packaging or discs as they only list the tracks once but I can assure you both are present, the stereo followed by the mono.

Good news...I ordered Surfer Girl and Little Deuce Coupe...and grabbed Steppenwolf to give me the free shipping...

So, which mix do you think you like best? Stereo or MONO? I've NEVER heard a MONO SACD...so curious.

So, which mix do you think you like best? Stereo or MONO? I've NEVER heard a MONO SACD...so curious.

Both are essential IMO. Of course mono was king at the time so great care was taken on those - very balanced and punchy, often with more reverb on the vocals than the stereo. The stereo "Surfer Girl" is great as well. Vocals panned hard left and right (gorgeous!) with instruments usually centered. All lead vocals were double tracked so unlike some stereo Beatles there is never the weirdness of having a lead vocal isolated to one side or the other. Unfortunately this is not the case with all stereo BB mixes. "Don't Worry Baby" comes to mind.

Edit: Of course that's the beauty of these SACDs - you don't have to choose between the two! :)

There are some Mono SACDs out there. Little Richard's Greatest Hits SACD on Mobile Fidelity is one of the better known Mono SACDs that comes to mind.

Now that the first few Beach Boys SACDs are available at Acoustic Sounds, it's ordering time! :)

Beach Boys SACDs - In Stock - March 1 2015.jpg

Beach Boys SACDs on Analogue Productions - In Stock at Acoustic Sounds
http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=beach,boys&categoryID=4

also noticed that 409 is on the mono SACD Surfing Safari as well as on the Little Deuce Coupe disc..which is listed as both Mono and Stereo..so I'm wondering if 409 is only offered as mono....

Well it turns out to be some sort of reprocessed stereo on the new disc. I'm not sure exactly what they did but it sounds like much of it is through the application of reverb. It doesn't sound bad, certainly better than the old duophonic process. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could chime in. BTW the other mono track on the LP, "A Young Man is Gone" receives similar treatment.

Edit: Someone on the SH Forums posted an informative link (below) on the whole mono/stereo BB history. These are evidently recent "extraction mixes". The process is explained in the article.

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/monostereo.html

Last edited:
Well it turns out to be some sort of reprocessed stereo on the new disc. I'm not sure exactly what they did but it sounds like much of it is through the application of reverb. It doesn't sound bad, certainly better than the old duophonic process. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could chime in. BTW the other mono track on the LP, "A Young Man is Gone" receives similar treatment.
Very interesting. I've got Little Deuce Coupe on order from Elusive so should have it later in the week.

Funny how that article link above discusses 2102 remasters. Planning ahead I suppose.

Last edited:
I have The Beach Boys Made in America 6 CD box set and it also has 409 in mono. It says original mono long version but it clocks in at a mere 2:08. Are the times on these discs being discussed the same.
Phil

I have The Beach Boys Made in America 6 CD box set and it also has 409 in mono. It says original mono long version but it clocks in at a mere 2:08. Are the times on these discs being discussed the same.
Phil

Both clock in at a mighty 2:02.

Back