Beatles to release expanded "Red" and "Blue" compilations in Dolby Atmos, including brand new song "Now and Then"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter

Paul McCartney Says He’s Using AI to Build the ‘Final’ Beatles Song​

The unnamed track is due out later this year.

From Billboard:

More than six decades after their formation, Paul McCartney says the final-ever Beatles song is on its way thanks to the miracle of modern technology. Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s Today, Sir Paul said that he has been using artificial intelligence to “extricate” John Lennon’s voice from an old demo to complete the untitled track.

“We just finished it up and it’ll be released this year,” he said, of the untitled song that the BBC speculated could be a 1978 Lennon composition called “Now and Then.” The single was reportedly in the running to serve as a “reunion song” for the 1995 Anthology series, which included two new songs based on demos recorded by Lennon after the group split, 1995’s “Free As a Bird” and 1996’s “Real Love,” produced by ELO’s Jeff Lynne. Those tracks were the first “new” Beatles” releases in more than 25 years.

McCartney reportedly received the demo for the new track from Lennon’s widow, Yoko Ono, in 1994; the song was one of several on a cassette labelled “For Paul” that Lennon made shortly before his murder in 1980. The BBC reported that the tracks were “lo-fi and embryonic” and mostly recorded on a boombox by Lennon on a piano in his New York apartment.

The BBC reported that the living members of the band tried to record the “apologetic” love song “Now and Then” around the time of the Anthology release, but abandoned the sessions in short order. “It was one day — one afternoon, really — messing with it,” Lynne said. “The song had a chorus but is almost totally lacking in verses. We did the backing track, a rough go that we really didn’t finish.”

McCartney later said guitarist/singer George Harrison refused to work on “Now and Then,” saying the sound quality on Lennon’s vocals was “rubbish… George didn’t like it. The Beatles being a democracy, we didn’t do it.” The BBC reported that there were also reportedly technical issues with the original, due to some persistent “buzz” from the electrical circuits in Lennon’s apartment. The new version of the demo reportedly popped up on a bootleg CD in 2009, minus the background noise.

In a 2012 BBC documentary on Lynne, McCartney said, “that one’s still lingering around… so I’m going to nick in with Jeff and do it. Finish it, one of these days.” And while it is still unknown if that song is the one due out, the BBC reported that technical advances employed during the making of Peter Jackson’s Get Back Beatles documentary series — during which dialog editor Emile de la Rey trained computers to recognize the Beatles’ voices and separate them from background noise, including their own instruments — allowed the team to create “clean” audio. That same technology also allowed McCartney to sing a virtual duet with Lennon on his most recent tour.

“He [Jackson] was able to extricate John’s voice from a ropey little bit of cassette,” McCartney told Radio 4 in explaining how the tech used in the documentary helped him work on the “new” song. “We had John’s voice and a piano and he could separate them with AI. They tell the machine, ‘That’s the voice. This is a guitar. Lose the guitar.’ So when we came to make what will be the last Beatles’ record, it was a demo that John had [and] we were able to take John’s voice and get it pure through this AI. Then we can mix the record, as you would normally do. So it gives you some sort of leeway.”

At press time a release date for the Beatles track had not been announced.

Im glad you posted this @privateuniverse. I read about it this morning. Poor table scraps due to Johns murder but I'll take the crumbs. If it is Now and Then there are various versions on youtube and I like it. Would be a great surprise if its a different unknown song they worked on.
Ok the question for me is if they use AI to recreate Johns voice to sing new verses written for the song. Possible but not comfortable.

HAL 9000 - 2001 Space Odyssey - T-Shirt | TeePublic

PAUL, ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS ASK?

Won't be to long before good old Mr. AI will be whipping up 4 lads who will be out and touring
Sgt. peppers in all it's "live In The Flesh" glory and it will be so real you'll think it's the real deal.

I will provide the minority opinion.... I hate the whole concept. I hate that this is just the beginning and it doesn't take much imagination to see where this could lead. To me it will further cheapen the value of music.
Mark down one "NO" for Corporal-Captain.

"It's Mean Mr. Mustard's all the Lonely People's Band, Come on and Be a Fool on the hill!'

Everybody Sing!

Doug

Who had “New AI-assisted Beatles song” on their Reasons To Delay London Town and Back to the Egg Deluxe Editions bingo card?

Separating his voice from other noises is very cool.
That still leaves a vocal, however clean, recorded on a boombox (presumably). Hoping that sounds good. If so, much overspending has occurred on microphones over the years...
I'm guessing they can train an AI to sing in Lennon and Harrison's voices.

The future is gonna suck with already-famous icons and properties never being allowed to die, but also be full of amazing creativity. Gonna be a very poor signal-to-noise ratio, tho.

There is a big difference between using AI to generate John's voice singing new things vs. using it to extract his voice from a poor quality tape which is what seems to be being done here and is totally cool.
In this way and for such purpose, it's okay to grant its use. Get Back rockumentary wouldn't have been possible to make without AI, and it's a fine example of that.

Separating his voice from other noises is very cool.
That still leaves a vocal, however clean, recorded on a boombox (presumably). Hoping that sounds good. If so, much overspending has occurred on microphones over the years...
No, you just say "AI, regenerate this voice to sound like it was recorded at Abbey Road with a Neumann U67"! You then supply it with a sample from an Abbey Road vocal session. Presto, all is well.
Vocalists can now stay home and draw royalties from their "Streisand in a box" or "Pavarotti in a box"! Life is good.
And the guitar parts are coming too. Then you pick the engineer you want to emulate for the mixdown and done. Just like self publishing a book. We are all out of a job except the guys that know how to properly align a cartridge for CD-4. They will get the big bucks till all the CD-4s wear out! Maybe tape deck repairmen will be around a while too?

I hope the new song is different than the last two, Free as A Bird and Real Love. They were good, but not top shelf Beatles material...especially so given that they never made it beyond the demo phase during the golden years.

I hope the new song is different than the last two, Free as A Bird and Real Love. They were good, but not top shelf Beatles material...especially so given that they never made it beyond the demo phase during the golden years.
I would expect this one to be even lower shelf.
With that said, I actually like Free As A Bird and Real Love, a lot, so don’t think this is a negative comment.

Does it sound as good as a self-crashing car drives? AI at its bust.

I wouldn’t call what they’re doing “AI”, but okay…:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back