BecauseDVDAudioDoesntMatter.com?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hinted at this once over at SH and got an immediate and severe dogpiling, led by none other than SH himself.

Maybe...but I think Steve's issue is with having enough tracks to work with. Who would argue that Alpert/TJB Q8's were not a good idea...or that a lot of albums/music are best left mono/stereo? And, having remastered so many stereo tapes, he's kind of a purist in that regard, I guess. \

:ed:

Well the Word over at another Forum is that Warner is Dropping DVD-A because of the Cost "Right Now" and is Gonna Focus on Vinyl :(

I'll believe this when BSM says it is so.

There are postings by people who want to rain on our parade.

My sincere hope is that we'll get something DVD-A soon.

Last edited:
I don't frequent the SH forum for the elitism factor; seems like high school stuff.

Steve does outstanding work and I may buy some of it where the title and format floats my boat. Figured it was generally known that he's not into surround at all. Can anyone point me to something posted to the contrary?

Last edited:
Well the Word over at another Forum is that Warner is Dropping DVD-A because of the Cost "Right Now" and is Gonna Focus on Vinyl :(

Waitaminit; several items fly in the face of this cost issue....

BSM recently said it was going to re-release existing titles; gee the masters and all artwork packaging are already done and there's potentially some leftover inventory.

It was also stated recently BSM was exploring 2.0 stereo DVD-A and asked members what they thought about it. Exploiting any existing stereo masters one more time into stereo DVD-A would be SOUND economics; even Steve would have to agree with that I'd think.

In addition to the 2.0 angle, at least 10 BSM members have posted that legacy quad mixes in the vaults could be used with some tweaks.

This can get just as vulgar as the Blu-Ray / HD-DVD feud, but it doesn't have to. :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks Jon.

It was interesting from the standpoint of being temporarily re-immersed in a more lively time for surround audio. Was glad to read all the QQ folks that posted there. I looked at pages 1,2,3,8 & 9.

Seemed more like hearing his confession; troubled soul finds it difficult, nay, nearly impossible to reconcile a mixed recording with more than two speakers operating for music playback at the same time in the same room.

2007; is he now SAFE from having to even be troubled by such questions?

A number of SH folk who contributed to that thread just seem like broken records about what is correct or proper. Not very imaginative minds at work I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Thanks Jon.

A number of SH folk who contributed to that thread just seem like broken records about what is correct or proper. Not very imaginative minds at work I'm afraid. The hurl factor for me includes blatant SH ass-kissers; I find that some of the most difficult stuff to stomach.

You said ass. :eek:

I did! We had a discussion about swearing several weeks ago and I'm just getting with the program.

An additional SH/MCH insight occured to me this morning:

I love and respect Stevie Wonder but I have no expectations that he should be the guy to drive me to the airport. :smokin

I did! We had a discussion about swearing several weeks ago and I'm just getting with the program.

An additional SH/MCH insight occured to me this morning:

I love and respect Stevie Wonder but I have no expectations that he should be the guy to drive me to the airport. :smokin

... or Cat Stevens for that matter! :eek:

Yeah, I remember that thread. There are some great posts by QQ members. :D

SH still doesn't share the enthusiasm for surround that most of us on this board have. This is evident in the interview of him by Brian Smith in April of 2007 from the Metro Times : http://www.stevehoffman.tv/dhinterviews/SteveHoffmanmetrotimes07.htm

"I’m not really into surround sound so DVD-A leaves me a bit cold. I dislike having music playing behind me like I’m sitting in the middle of the band or something. This is not anything that would ever occur in real life unless you were the bass player or something."

I don't understand why "real life" should have to play a dominant role in surround sound. To me, good surround sound is an escape from real life.

SH still doesn't share the enthusiasm for surround that most of us on this board have. This is evident in the interview of him by Brian Smith in April of 2007 from the Metro Times : http://www.stevehoffman.tv/dhinterviews/SteveHoffmanmetrotimes07.htm

"I’m not really into surround sound so DVD-A leaves me a bit cold. I dislike having music playing behind me like I’m sitting in the middle of the band or something. This is not anything that would ever occur in real life unless you were the bass player or something."

I don't understand why "real life" should have to play a dominant role in surround sound. To me, good surround sound is an escape from real life.

... and that's why I AM a bass player :banana:

I think that surround music IS real life, or is the earth flat?
:smokin

I wonder if movies leave him cold.....there are alot of things there that don't occur in real life...

in real life how often are The Beatles going to come into your listening space and perform "Strawberry Fields Forever"? Nothing is "real".

in real life how often are The Beatles going to come into your listening space and perform "Strawberry Fields Forever"? Nothing is "real".

especially where one half of the song is sped up and the other half is slowed down to match it....

Of course when SH does an lp he is trying to make an already finished mastertape sound really good on vinyl..........

Doing a dvda most likely implies remixing a multitrack tape to multiple channels...not the same thing really as he isn't ever mixing a multitrack tape to stereo when he does an lp......a more likely equivalent would be if SH mastered an already completed quad tape to DVDA.

Depends on how nasty the drugs are you're takin' while considering their forthcoming appearance/performance....:D;)

Sound recordings can't possibly be 'real'....mono wasn't real, stereo certainly isn't(we don't hear in stereo), Quad is four speakers, 5.1 six, etc...it's all artificial in some way.

That said, I'm surprised those who have a problem with sound 'behind' them, simply don't take the rears and move them forward, to the front, if not parallel to the fronts or center. This does offer distinctive separation while removing the 'behind' element. Since many movie theaters have speakers not only in the front and back but on the sides and above(or so my ears are telling me), this too can be done at home with a bit of work and cleverness.

The problem may be the mindset that surround has to mean 'four corners,' when of course, while most of us do set it up that way, it's not carved in stone to do so.

ED :)

SH should NOT mix surround material because he has no internal passion for it. When he commented that about giving the 5.1 fans their jollies, it was to meet external perceived notions of discrete surround fans, NOT something his own heart and brain could process, accept, comprehend and find personal joy in.

My 7/15 post about "reality & mixing" on becausesoundmatters.com:

There are indeed two surround mixing philosophies; but my definitions are: a) "wow, this is amazing enveloping experience" or b) "are those damn things even on back there?"

I really don't care much for b) unless classical and I can get that effect 98% with 2.0 stereo recordings and DSP/matrix decoding so we've already got that with any recording we own.

There is this tendency to cling to the notion of what is "proper" in the sound field but even stereo 2.0 studio albums are an ILLUSION. Everyone needs to get over that 'proper' notion!

These finished recordings have little to do with an acoustic presence save for the one that is artifically created in the finished product. Given the overdubs world of the last 40 years (how many studios over weeks, months or years, recorded dry and then reverb'd) and ProTools (silly putty control) world of the last 15 years, this precious belief is largely absurd.

Often many of these same people put down live albums without even realizing the contradiction. But that's another post. :)

Mixers take note: If you don't have an aggresive purposeful vision for a surround mix in your heart, spare us and don't do it! We'll suggest someone who can paint the picture in a more breathtaking manner. "paging Elliot Scheiner - you have a call on line 3"....

Are you kidding?!? He's remixed RAY CHARLES to stereo from Ray's personal stash..:D He did a great job on the ABC-Paramount material, including some single sides previously unreleased in stereo. He's also remixed the Chris Montez Monogram material, some surf music(obscure, yes, but great for fans)...and that's not even taking into account some of his early MCA work(the many V.A. comps that included previously unheard stereo mixes, even if they weren't even close to the original versions. The lad was fearless back then!).

Perhaps(IMO)his dislike of MC comes from the fact he often works with sources without enough tracks to make a truly outstanding 5.1 mix. And if you're familiar with his home sound system, obviously he's a hi-fi stereo hound, with a love for mono on the side(which I can well relate to!) And maybe a lot of music that could be put into 5.1 isn't stuff he digs. But I've absolutely no doubt if given a gig, he could remix as well in 5.1 as he has in stereo, regardless of the situation. He DID do Metallica for DCC, as unlikely a concept(along with QUEENSRYCHE)for Steve as I'd imagined to that time.

ED :)

I agree totally. If people have a problem with surround they should move rear speakers to far left and far right. Now you have super stereo. This configuration works quite well on some titles. The end of Jasmine Nightdreams by Edgar Winter comes to mind.Phil

Back