Beethoven's Symphonies -Simon Rattle on CD AND MCH BD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DG tends to use reverb in the rears.
Their similar box sets of Schumann's and Schubert's symphonies have nice, natural sound.

It's not a terrible price until you consider that you can get both the (excellent) Haitink and the Vanska cycles on SACD for that price.

DG's mixes are generally quite conservative, but this isn't DG.

Right. This Beethoven set by Rattle is being released on the Berliner Philharmoniker (BPHR) label not DG. The Schumann & Schubert box set were also on BPHR. Unless there is some off stage part written in the music, I wouldn't expect active rear channels...à la TACET.

Right. This Beethoven set by Rattle is being released on the Berliner Philharmoniker (BPHR) label not DG. The Schumann & Schubert box set were also on BPHR. Unless there is some off stage part written in the music, I wouldn't expect active rear channels...à la TACET.

Besides the inclusion of a BD~A disc, this set also includes 2 BD~Vs of the actual live performances of this Beethoven cycle.

Besides the inclusion of a BD~A disc, this set also includes 2 BD~Vs of the actual live performances of this Beethoven cycle.

For that price, you think those BD-Vs would have included concert videos of ALL 9 symphonies PLUS several of his overtures AND an aerial walking tour of Vienna from a drone!!! I mean, come on Berlin! All the extra goodies is what these Box Sets are all about, right!? :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@:

On a more serious note... (cue Beethoven symphony)... I am really worried about the Budapest Festival Orchestra, Iván Fischer, and of course Channel Classics wonderful recordings with them.

http://www.pizzicato.lu/budapest-festival-orchestra-loses-642-000-euros/

For that price, you think those BD-Vs would have included concert videos of ALL 9 symphonies PLUS several of his overtures AND an aerial walking tour of Vienna from a drone!!! I mean, come on Berlin! All the extra goodies is what these Box Sets are all about, right!? :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@:

On a more serious note... (cue Beethoven symphony)... I am really worried about the Budapest Festival Orchestra, Iván Fischer, and of course Channel Classics wonderful recordings with them.

http://www.pizzicato.lu/budapest-festival-orchestra-loses-642-000-euros/

Very sad news indeed, Brett, regarding the fate of the Budapest Festival Orchestra and it's brilliant conductor Iván Fischer. But it seems to be a trend among ALL the major orchestras as the world economists, except for that 'exalted' 1%, is siphoning $$$ for projects OTHER than the Arts.

BTW, I think at this juncture with ALL the quality Beethoven symphonies on SACD that we desperately need an Auro 3D BD~A 'Ultra Discrete' set. There was talk early last year (I cannot find the article) that Andrew Litton and the Dallas Symphony were recording Beethoven's Ninth Symphony with the recording team from Skywalker Ranch in Auro 3D for a future BD~A release. Whatever happened to that venture remains a mystery but do we really need ANOTHER Beethoven cycle with AMBIENCE? I greatly admire Sir Simon and his wonderful orchestra but the NEW CD/BD~A/BD~V boxset does seem redundant.

Very sad news indeed, Brett, regarding the fate of the Budapest Festival Orchestra and it's brilliant conductor Iván Fischer. But it seems to be a trend among ALL the major orchestras as the world economists, except for that 'exalted' 1%, is siphoning $$$ for projects OTHER than the Arts.

BTW, I think at this juncture with ALL the quality Beethoven symphonies on SACD that we desperately need an Auro 3D BD~A 'Ultra Discrete' set. There was talk early last year (I cannot find the article) that Andrew Litton and the Dallas Symphony were recording Beethoven's Ninth Symphony with the recording team from Skywalker Ranch in Auro 3D for a future BD~A release. Whatever happened to that venture remains a mystery but do we really need ANOTHER Beethoven cycle with AMBIENCE? I greatly admire Sir Simon and his wonderful orchestra but the NEW CD/BD~A/BD~V boxset does seem redundant.

Oh yeah! You know I'm with you ALL THE WAY on an "Ultra Discrete" Beethoven symphony cycle to go along with TACET's. Bring it on!!!

But...I am always amazed to read posts on classical forums about people who haven't even heard all of his symphonies...let alone compare different performances of them. And these are people who are fans of classical music and Beethoven. So, I guess there is always a need to keep releasing new recordings of his symphonies to attract attention.

(Psst...but Ralph :couch as I'm told by "people in the know" all the great performances were made before 1970. So, none of this really matters anyway. NOT!!! LOL!!! :ugham:

Don't ya love Baby Boomers. ;)

Hey guys, I just received a lovely email from the Berliner Philarmoniker people informing me the following:

"Thank you very much for your message and your interest.
1. We tried to recreate an ideal listening position which is not trying to simulate a specific seat in the Philharmonie Berlin but a rather utopic position where the balance of orchestral sound and the immersive experience of the whole is ideal....."

So I'm guessing it's NOT an "audience in the rears only" recording.....it's 69 EUR plus shipping, and although they are from live performances, I hope the extraneous noises -coughs, etc.- have been removed digitally...

I am familiar with all of his Symphonies thanks to my stepfather who had a "Command" label box with all of them (recorded on 35 mm magnetic film(!)), ....which I still have...well the box is no more but I still have the cover and the LPs are in quite good shape....

R-3426520-1422078398-3007.jpeg.jpg

I am familiar with all of his Symphonies thanks to my stepfather who had a "Command" label box with all of them (recorded on 35 mm magnetic film(!)), ....which I still have...well the box is no more but I still have the cover and the LPs are in quite good shape....
It's shameful that Universal haven't re-released the Steinberg set on CD (they released the 2nd, 4th, 7th and Lenore Overture No. 3 as part of their "Double Decker" line in the 80s, as they did for the Brahms). As you indicate it was done to 35mm film, engineered by Robert Fine (of Mercury Living Presence fame), on the same gear he used to make many of the Mercury Living Presence recordings only a few years earlier. A recording made only a year earlier by Everest of the same forces doing the Brahms 4th is on HDtracks: http://www.hdtracks.com/pittsburgh-symphony-brahms-symphony-no-4-in-e-minor-op-98

One other cycle that isn't mentioned all that much is Barenboim's DVD-Audio cycle done in the early 2000s. It's out of print but many of the releases are available for sane prices.

Given that Fischer is on the outs with the gov't in Hungary and his former friend Kocsis who heads the state-sponsored orchestra, I imagine he needs to look abroad for money: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/06/02/notes-of-dissent

Wow, these guys are FAST!!!

Already shipped today...

I know there aren't many classical music polls, but, if the mail I got a few days ago is true (stating that's an immersive mix)...this could be a great candidate!

Will report back...

Can't wait to hear a review of these as well. Would love to find a great immersive set of Beethoven Symphonies.

In fact, all recommendations of any good immersive surround classical recordings is appreciated! Thanks!

OK, so I got it today and I dove right into it....
I've just listened to a couple of Symphonies in BD in DTS.MA 5.0 and am lovin' it....

I think this would be the definitive Beethoven "Box" (primer) for anybody ...even for those of us who have listened to it in Surround/Quad.

Lovely package, a hard bound book with a lot of text in German and English with all kinds of details about the composer and his symphonies (orchestration, date performed, changes made, etc.), a great reproduction of a pencil portrait of good 'ole Ludwig, etc.
(EDIT)packaging; 4/5 for the CDs and 3 BDs, one of them just plain audio (with the playing selection being highlit while playing) in PCM Stereo and DTS-MA 5..1 (strange, cause the other 2 BDs , which are the live performance are in 5.0 ) are , what I would call, a "right behind the conductor" mixes; the mixes are immersive, but I think they are "playing it safe".

Mind you, I could be somehow wrong and they are not that immersive (my system is rather moody, you know...)...but my system is NEVER too far off the truth, so they are in real Surround...

but still, for your money's worth (or at least, until it's in print), I would highly recommend this box set- a treat for anyone who likes Classical Music.

I'd give it a 10.

:smokin

Edit: there's also info for the musician or anyone who understands music on the descriptions of each symphony.

Last edited:
It's not a terrible price until you consider that you can get both the (excellent) Haitink and the Vanska cycles on SACD for that price.

DG's mixes are generally quite conservative, but this isn't DG.

Yes, you are absolutely right...but it's confusing, because the link to the shop is all DG stuff!!! maybe the BPhil is a label from DG....

Just found something that was "hiding" in the box:
The 2 BluRay discs with the Video performances are NOT 96/24, but 48/16 (!!!)...they are Hi res VIDEO, but apparently not Hi Rez AUDIO.
BUT,
the Pure Audio BD makes up for it- it IS 96/24 5.1
AND you can download ALL THE AUDIO content in Stereo in 96/24 and 192/24 in WAV AND FLAC and in Surround in 96/24 FLAC---

Is anyone gonna take the plunge?

Yes, you are absolutely right...but it's confusing, because the link to the shop is all DG stuff!!! maybe the BPhil is a label from DG....

I imagine it's because their webstore sells all the recordings the orchestra made (that are still in print), not just their own label. The Chicago Symphony site is the same way.

I think I've been a little unjustly harsh to this set...the price isn't that bad compared to their previous issues. And it is the first BD-A set done with a first-rank orchestra. I think I have Beethoven cycle fatigue though...and I just got the De Vriend set that people keep raving about.

I imagine it's because their webstore sells all the recordings the orchestra made (that are still in print), not just their own label. The Chicago Symphony site is the same way.

I think I've been a little unjustly harsh to this set...the price isn't that bad compared to their previous issues. And it is the first BD-A set done with a first-rank orchestra. I think I have Beethoven cycle fatigue though...and I just got the De Vriend set that people keep raving about.

I wish I could afford at least one of the De Vriend SACDs, at least the Pastoral, but ca$h is not flowing....
I'm not a big fan of SACDs in general, but , if I read correctly , the instruments are the original period ones, so , still interesting...

Do give this box set a chance..before it goes OOP..

And thanks for letting us know that it's the first BD-A set done with a "first-rank" Orchestra....didn't know that..

BTW, all extraneous noises have been edited out , maybe you'll hear a faint rustle of a musician flipping the page, but it's a pristine recording....

Two of these performances (the 4th and 7th) were broadcast in theaters a few months back along with the "Living with Beethoven" documentary. I attended and enjoyed them thoroughly. I've since been eyeing this set. Thanks for the review, Kap'n.

I'd also highly recommend the Haitink/LSO SACDs. They are currently my favorite cycle - fidelity and performances are outstanding. The surround is of the "in the hall" variety but done well. The whole set is only $41 at Amazon US:

https://www.amazon.com/Symphonies-N...=1465688297&sr=8-1&keywords=haitink+beethoven

Back