Beethoven's Symphonies -Simon Rattle on CD AND MCH BD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will get it eventually. Already having quite a lot of Beethoven's symphonies on disc, I am kind of in the same spot as Ubertrout. There is so much other stuff to get as well. I pretty much listen to the whole spectrum of classical music from Ancient/Medieval to Modern/Contemporary. I am a huge fan of Baroque, so just there is 150 years of music to plow through. But, good old (actually not so old ;)) Beethoven is fun to come back to. I like de Vriend's cycle. The Netherlands Symphony Orchestra is a modern orchestra, but these performances sound like period ones due to 18th century brass. Vriend's also uses authentic practices from the time of Beethoven rather than late 19th century Wagner/Bruckner influenced practices. The surround mix sounds great IMHO.

I'd also highly recommend the Haitink/LSO SACDs. They are currently my favorite cycle - fidelity and performances are outstanding. The surround is of the "in the hall" variety but done well. The whole set is only $41 at Amazon US:

You can buy the Haitink direct from the LSO for about half that: http://lsolive.lso.co.uk/collections/special-offers

Throw in the Mahler set Gergiev did, also on SACD, and you're at about USD 45. Shipping is reasonable too.

This set arrived today. I went first to the Blu-ray video to watch my 2 favorites, the 7th and 8th. Wonderful! The 7th is a very spirited performance with a brilliantly rousing 4th movement. For the 8th, overall, Rattle has chosen more relaxed tempi than custom giving the work a stately and rather more delicate feel. Happily the exposition repeats are observed on both 1st movements (the forms never seem right without them!). I'm looking forward to the rest.

The video is sharp and expertly edited (although one might grow a bit tired of Rattle's ample screen time). The audio, as the Kap'n has mentioned, is presented in 16/48 but sounds excellent. Surrounds contain only VERY light back-of-hall reverberation. In fact muting the surrounds barely makes any audible difference to the soundstage. However, after putting in the hi-res Blu-ray audio disc - BAM - surrounds come to life creating a full, immersive experience. A bit silly why they felt the need to alter the mix for the video presentation. All 9 symphonies in hi-res stereo and surround on a single Blu-ray audio disc - how cool is that?

Also, download codes are provided giving several options for all the audio up to 24/196. :)

This set arrived today. I went first to the Blu-ray video to watch my 2 favorites, the 7th and 8th. Wonderful! The 7th is a very spirited performance with a brilliantly rousing 4th movement. For the 8th, overall, Rattle has chosen more relaxed tempi than custom giving the work a stately and rather more delicate feel. Happily the exposition repeats are observed on both 1st movements (the forms never seem right without them!). I'm looking forward to the rest.

The video is sharp and expertly edited (although one might grow a bit tired of Rattle's ample screen time). The audio, as the Kap'n has mentioned, is presented in 16/48 but sounds excellent. Surrounds contain only VERY light back-of-hall reverberation. In fact muting the surrounds barely makes any audible difference to the soundstage. However, after putting in the hi-res Blu-ray audio disc - BAM - surrounds come to life creating a full, immersive experience. A bit silly why they felt the need to alter the mix for the video presentation. All 9 symphonies in hi-res stereo and surround on a single Blu-ray audio disc - how cool is that?

Also, download codes are provided giving several options for all the audio up to 24/196. :)

Glad you like it!!
As I mentioned, it's a very nice package with a bunch of bonus material (booklet, all the downloads, even in 192 in MCH !, etc.)

As for the mix , it IS surround and quite good...hope they come up with some other ones in the future...

:smokin

Back