"Best of Doors" 4.0 Surround SACD from Audio Fidelity (June 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As with the earlier Audio Fidelity 4.0 Quad transfers from Analog Master Tape, I'm pretty sure this edition will top the Quad Reel Tape edition. Another excellent transfer to Multichannel DSD by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center.

I have to pinch myself, is this really happening!? I'm now in a position where there is so much new stuff coming out, it's incredible.. I'm actively taking my foot off the gas with regard to the old out of print stuff! What AF are doing with these Surround discs now seemed nigh-on inconceivable not so long ago. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I have to pinch myself, is this really happening!? I'm now in a position where there is so much new stuff coming out, it's incredible.. I'm actively taking my foot off the gas with regard to the old out of print stuff! What AF are doing with these Surround discs now seemed nigh-on inconceivable not so long ago. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

You're welcome.

We've been talking about Best of the Doors as a Multichannel SACD release by AF for sometime. Glad to see it getting close to release.
And there is more to come on Multichannel SACD from AF.... :)

You're welcome.

We've been talking about Best of the Doors as a Multichannel SACD release by AF for sometime. Glad to see it getting close to release.
And there is more to come on Multichannel SACD from AF.... :)

You're not just the Multichannel Maven, if you've had as much to do with all this as I think you have you're a Multitalented Multichannel MARVEL!

In such a short space of time AF have released:

1.) Reissues of some of the finest Elliot Scheiner 5.1 DVD-A's (long out of print, now pricey, wonderful examples of surround music),
2.) Previously unreleased 5.1 mixes (it's criminal to think those superb mixes by Al Kooper were left to rot, shelved by Sony when they effectively gave up on their own format!!),
3.) Brand new 5.1 surround music by the aforementioned Mr.Scheiner, still the best in the business imho (New York Voices),
4.) Some of the best 4.0 Vintage mixes of the Quad era (including r&b/soul -- any accusations all this stuff is just "Classic Rock" or Prog are completely scuppered by AF's upcoming Labelle and Earth, Wind & Fire Quad releases..!)

..and all in stunning quality.

I cannot wait to see what the future brings with AF's surround reissue programme!!!

Just think of all of the great stuff they could release but can't due to licensing and contracts signed by other companies. :(

Still, I wonder how the folks over at Analog Productions feel who took the Doors DVD-A albums and released them as 2.0/5.1 SACDs thinking they had the Doors covered completely, only to see AF sneak in there with an SACD of the Doors with a better surround mix that they probably had no clue even existed. If they did, they should have bagged it and put it in their box.

Just think of all of the great stuff they could release but can't due to licensing and contracts signed by other companies. :(

Still, I wonder how the folks over at Analog Productions feel who took the Doors DVD-A albums and released them as 2.0/5.1 SACDs thinking they had the Doors covered completely, only to see AF sneak in there with an SACD of the Doors with a better surround mix that they probably had no clue even existed. If they did, they should have bagged it and put it in their box.

Or the albums where the tapes are missing, are in poor condition or sonics or where the artist won't agree to license for reissue, etc....

The Best of the Doors is much like Streetlife Serenade by Billy Joel. For some reason it wasn't licensed by the original reissue label and so it was available for Audio Fidelity.
As to why, we can wonder. As we enjoy the new editions on Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD.... :)

Woo Hoo! It's a big jamboree over here. :party :party :party
Like everyone else, I am definitely psyched to get this one and listen to The Doors... and a little piece of Quad history.

Come on AF, light my fire! :burnout

Here are some notes forwarded to me as lifted from the Steve Hoffman forum. Not sure if it is OK to re-post these here - if not please remove them!

"First release since 1973 of the original Quad Doors mixes. Stereo section will have my new mastering of the original 1966-70 stereophonic mixes.

I mastered both the stereo version and the quadraphonic version with Stephen Marsh and it was really a blast. Always an honor to work on the Doors, their office is always helpful, enthusiastic and eager to get it done and released. That is much appreciated, believe me.

They even suggested we take some photos of the mastering session, in fact, encouraged it. So that's unique but thanks to photographer Elton Evans, accomplished. Pics to come.

A visit to the Doors' Vault is always an adventure, it is freezing in there (I wore two jackets and an overcoat) but we had permission to recompile the 1973 BEST OF track listing from all original first generation tapes, both Quad and stereo so I pulled them all while Kenny (from the Doors office) froze beside me.

During mastering, I concentrated on the stereo stuff first, going not in order, but from non-Dolby titles to Dolby A titles. Stephen Marsh is an expert in making 50 year old Dolby tapes play back correctly and we got everything transferred to perfection before lunch (having done my actual mastering homework the week before). The QUAD reels we also did (first time) mainly because we couldn't send the analog tapes to Gus, they had to stay at the studio so we gladly did the four channel transfers from analog to high-rez.

I think that those of you who are used to the modern 5.1 surround versions of these songs will really dig the Paul Rothchild 1973 Quad attempts. And of course the stereo Bruce Botnick mixes were handled with a light mastering touch, not changing the sonic signature of the songs but simply directly the ears (or suggesting to them) a certain course for the brain to take during each song. That was fun, picking one or two songs from each album without the pressure of having to do the entire album.. I never tire of listening to The Doors!

Being released in June, 2015. Won't be long!

For the three of you that care:

Non-Dolby:
WHO DO YOU LOVE
SOUL KITCHEN
PEOPLE ARE STRANGE
RIDERS ON THE STORM
LOVE ME TWO TIMES
TAKE IT AS IT COMES
MOONLIGHT DRIVE
LIGHT MY FIRE
LOVE HER MADLY

Dolby A:
HELLO, I LOVE YOU
TOUCH ME

Entire Quad version:
Non-Dolby"

Hey everyone. First off, this is a great 4.0 mix, classic quad, the real thing. Remember, this record came out in 1973 and was sold ONLY in quad. It was to be the showpiece of WEA at the time, and the flagship of their CD-4 Quadradisc marketing. In fact, it was sold well into the '80s still as a Quadradisc, long after CD-4 was a memory. (You can see the 5 label variations on the QQ WEA web page)

This will not only be a first time digital quad release for these mixes (even though they came out in new 5.1 mixes in the Perception box), it will also be the first time they've been officially released and cleaned up for a stereo release (for you purists). However, in this rare case, the quad mix was the norm.

The Quad reel usually sells in the $100's of dollars on eBay these days, so this is your chance to hear the quad mix better than it's ever been available ever, and you can be sure it will be available at the usual places for far less that $35. Still, as I said, I would order this one early so as not to be disappointed and having to wait for another pressing or worse yet, getting one on eBay. One thing you won't be disappointed in is the mix, the sound, and the presentation.

AF is really bringing the heat! :bounce17

PS - As soon as Brian or I get the official release materials, we'll post them in a dedicated thread.

Thanks John, since I own the Perception box set I was on the fence as far as buying this 4.0 SACD. However your enthusiasm as well as the anticipation from the others on this thread I went ahead and pre-ordered. I love the Doors and don't want to look back and wish I had ordered it when its out of distribution. Thanks!

Glad to see this one coming out. The... what, 3? four-track songs on here are not mind blowing, but still show off how you can actually make a 4-track work in Quad. The eight-track songs on this album are mind boggling. To be able to single out each instrument, yet assembled as a whole it still sounds great. This is how all Quad should have been mixed. The use of the back center and front center positions also helps to fill out the soundstages while still allowing instruments in the four corners. Excellent, Excellent, Excellent Quad mix. Also, the decision to not use too much reverb or echo and just let the adjacent tracks bleed through also helps to give you that "in the studio" feel. Just an excellent Quad album. Over the moon on this one.

Now if we can get some Edgar Winter, Johnny Winter, Simon & Garfunkel, Janis Joplin, The Raiders and a couple other solid ones, we'll be sitting pretty!

Glad to see this one coming out. The... what, 3? four-track songs on here are not mind blowing, but still show off how you can actually make a 4-track work in Quad. The eight-track songs on this album are mind boggling. To be able to single out each instrument, yet assembled as a whole it still sounds great. This is how all Quad should have been mixed. The use of the back center and front center positions also helps to fill out the soundstages while still allowing instruments in the four corners. Excellent, Excellent, Excellent Quad mix. Also, the decision to not use too much reverb or echo and just let the adjacent tracks bleed through also helps to give you that "in the studio" feel. Just an excellent Quad album. Over the moon on this one.

The Best of the Doors, along with Best of Bread and Stardrive by Robert Mason were among the initial Elektra Quad Titles and each was mixed into 4.0 Quad to show off what Surround Sound has to offer. It's always been a favorite here. And now it sounds even better with the Original Analog Master Tapes being transferred to DSD - in both Stereo and 4.0 Quad - by Steve Hoffman at Stephen Marsh Mastering.

Since this is Steve Hoffman's first Surround Sound remastering and transfer, as far as I know, it may draw some added attention.

My guess is that Doors fans will find the Multichannel SACD from Audio Fidelity warmer sounding than the 5.1 Doors SACD releases. I'm looking forward to the reviews and poll results.
More fun ahead! :)

I think that those of you who are used to the modern 5.1 surround versions of these songs will really dig the Paul Rothchild 1973 Quad attempts.

You mean, the ones I hardly play because they suck? Well, mostly, anyway.

Q-Eight is right. This quad release is very good and, I feel, blows the pants off the Perception Box. In fact, I'll be cueing it up for a listening session tomorrow evening.

Here's some pics of Steve Hoffman and the transfer of the original Best of Doors Quad tapes at Marsh Mastering. The four-channel tapes are 15 ips 1/2" non-Dolby.

April 15, 2015. Here is the Ampex ATR, 1/2" four channel machine, used to make the QUADRAPHONIC transafers to high-rez.
doors 2.jpg

The tapes had to be back in the vault in a few days.
Warren Jarrett of Audio Note UK in the back, standing, Stephen Marsh to the left of me (Hoffman).
doors 4.JPG

Stephen Marsh playing back a Doors master tape at Marsh Mastering for the SACD session.
doors.jpg

Image source Steve Hoffman Music Forums:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...fidelity-sacd-adventures-in-mastering.428601/

Last edited:
Back