Best quad receiver and 8 track recorder?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuadMono70

I also like super 8 and everybody in that world knows that either you buy the GS1200 projector or a St 1200hd or you dont have the best. like quad eqipment, these two projectors are no longer made but they have a high probability of beinng able to be repaired. what was the top of the line quad 8 track recorder, that can still be somewhat repaired depending on whats wrong with it, and who made the best quad receiver? was that Technics quad deck with the green meters the best or is there one better? was sansui also the most prefered amomg quad heads or something else? thanks for the help. Befroe I forget, what about turntable? thanks for the help.

There were only two Q8 recorders:
Technics 858 (which you know)
Akai CR-80 SS (the best one).

As for receivers, anyone has its preferences but i'm sure Sansui QRX 9001 will be considered the best by the most.

Transport mechanism. I do agree the technics is better-looking than the akai.

I agree that the Technics is the better looking unit, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The Akai would look a lot better if Akai had added lights to the VU meters. I cannot fathom why Akai did not light those meters.

MTGC (Michael)

The Akai is not all that bad in appearance and yes, they should have illuminated the meters. What sets it apart is the motor. It is the same motor used in Akai's reel to reel tape decks. Gauranteed to last long after there are no longer any 8-track catridges left to play.
I still don't see why the Akai is better. Plus it's ugly.

I also agree that the Akai CR80DSS is the finest, and for the same reason. It also has a three micron head, which was their selling point. Yes, lighted meters would have been nice, but is not a deal killer. I suppose if you wanted them bad enough, you could go to Radio Shack and get some pigtail bulbs and light them yourself. I was in stereo repair in 1979, and when I pulled the cover off of one of these beauties, I realized that it was indeed the best made. I was suprised by the heaviness of it's construction, including a heavy flywheel and reel to reel type motor. They made a stereo version, and a version with a power amplifier, i do believe. At least the stereo version could be had with a power amp. Not sure about the quad version. Maybe Japan only. They were no longer availlable, so I got the Akai rep to scour the other Akai dealers for a demo unit, and as a result, they found me one. So possibly mine could have been the last one sold from a dealer. The Akai does look old fashioned for the time, but that was a characteristic of many models of Akai tape recorders. But if I had nothing, I certainly wouldn't turn down the Technics. The Akai, however, is my favorite.

The Quadfather

Back