Buckingham & Fleetwood Mac part ways

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't laugh, I'm being totally serious here. I give that distinction to Thompson Twins "Into the Gap". Boy, would that one be great in surround.

I dunno, the bass is a bit thin for my tastes in terms of great sound, but yes some of the TT stuff sounds like it could work well in surround. In other news, they did some great 12" singles.

Last edited:
I'm pretty hardcore about Fleetwood Mac. They always fight it out with the Stones for my 2nd fave band after the Toppermosts. :)
Mick offended me bigly with this move. ...and Ms. Nicks whom I have appreciated for decades just made me look at this band differently than I ever had before. It could always get ugly in the Mac but this one really takes the cake. There's legacy to consider, age, past statements by each member about the importance of this particular 5....it just makes me ill. I'll always love the classics up to '87 but for the first time, the only thing I can say is...RIP

Nah Lindsey has been quoted as saying he only got back to tour and release because Mick and some others in the band were not doing so good financially........relatively speaking.

Snood do think Stevie makes a helluva lot more money touring with Mac..........Mac equals sold out shows in large venues and Stevie alone not so much.

Snood also do think the same has been going on for the recent tours with Mac also..........Kind of weird too since Lindsey went out of his way to work on Christine's stuff for their album recently and even toured with her. Makes ya wonder how much say Christine has in the band nowadays. Must be just Mick, Stevie and John mainly.......but who knows maybe Christine freaked out too.

Snood thinky Lindsey would much rather release his own solo stuff rather than be in Mac anyways. The Money might be better with Mac, but do think he will be getting lots of money from past Mac releases and them playing his songs on tour :hi
What an egotistical snot!

Since I was away from the forum for awhile....did this latest FM tour produce a blu ray concert?...I haven't seen any...as much as I like THE DANCE dvd...a blu ray would be appreciated...

In regards to their upcoming tour with the new lineup...I think it's too long for them at this stage of their life...they had to cancel some dates on the most recent tour...somebody must really need the cash...just saying...

Apparently Lindsay was dragging his feet about rehearsing for the tour and the rest want to get on with it so they did.

There is talk about adding more pre-Buckingham/Nicks material to the set list now. That would make sense and would appease some hardcore fans. I’m guessing Neil Finn doesn’t care much which FM songs he sings.

We will get “Dont Dream It’s Over”?

Big Finn fan here and not really seeing the fit, but whatever. Will there be a new album, or is this just a touring gig for Neil?

I would have considered buying tickets to see them one last time (depending on the price) but with a new lineup? Nothing against Neil and Mike, but it just won’t be FM for me so not seeing the point.

And yes. Buckingham is notoriously one of the biggest a*holes in the business AND a genius. (I’m a HUGE fan of his music) A more stress-free tour for a bunch of septuagenarians was probably part of the desire as well.

Stevie’s words on why she didn’t participate on the last album probably sums it up best: “who wants to spend a year being miserable holed up in a studio making an album and then have to go on tour for a year with everybody hating each other?” (I paraphrase a bit. I don’t remember the exact quote but that was the gist of it.).

Last edited:
Apparently Lindsay was dragging his feet about rehearsing for the tour and the rest want to get on with it so they did.

There is talk about adding more pre-Buckingham/Nicks material to the set list now. That would make sense and would appease some hardcore fans. I’m guessing Neil Finn doesn’t care much which FM songs he sings.

We will get “Dont Dream It’s Over”?

Big Finn fan here and not really seeing the fit, but whatever. Will there be a new album, or is this just a touring gig for Neil?

I would have considered buying tickets to see them one last time (depending on the price) but with a new lineup? Nothing against Neil and Mike, but it just won’t be FM for me so not seeing the point.

And yes. Buckingham is notoriously one of the biggest a*holes in the business AND a genius. (I’m a HUGE fan of his music) A more stress-free tour for a bunch of septuagenarians was probably part of the desire as well.

Stevie’s words on why she didn’t participate on the last album probably sums it up best: “who wants to spend a year being miserable holed up in a studio making an album and then have to go on tour for a year with everybody hating each other?” (I paraphrase a bit. I don’t remember the exact quote but that was the gist of it.).
I totally agree with all of that, but at the same time it seems to me that there has to be something more. After all, wouldn't "Buckingham McVie" have sold much better if they had dubbed it a FM album? I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that they didn't out of respect to Stevie. Doesn't Lindsay merit the same consideration?

After all, wouldn't "Buckingham McVie" have sold much better if they had dubbed it a FM album?
It would.

But FM's public is not into buying music anymore, so the money is in touring. I guess Buckingham will regret not being in this last tour.

BTW, I think I hear a voice in the background vocals of a couple of songs in B-McV that sounds like Stevie Nicks. ¿A wink?

I totally agree with all of that, but at the same time it seems to me that there has to be something more. After all, wouldn't "Buckingham McVie" have sold much better if they had dubbed it a FM album? I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that they didn't out of respect to Stevie. Doesn't Lindsay merit the same consideration?

It had nothing to do with “respect” and everything to do with money.

They didn’t want to boot Stevie out of the band as they don’t want to tour as FM without her. But to call the album FM means they would have had to give her a cut. Which they understandably didn’t want to do either since she had nothing to do with it. So they called it a “duo” album even though Mick and John are on nearly every track.

And the sales of a FM album without Stevie? Yeah, it probably would have sold a bit better. But “Time” anyone? How big of a flop was that?

Seems they probably figured they can sell just about as many tickets for about the same price with or without Lindsey in the band. Which is probably true. And are they even considering another album this late in their career? It’s not like there is much money in that anymore anyway.

Last edited:
It would.

But FM's public is not into buying music anymore, so the money is in touring. I guess Buckingham will regret not being in this last tour.

BTW, I think I hear a voice in the background vocals of a couple of songs in B-McV that sounds like Stevie Nicks. ¿A wink?

Stevie was barely involved in Tango In The Night, but Lindsay got very good at electronically manipulating his and Christine’s voices to sound enough like hers on a few tracks so that the harmonies would have that same “sound”. That’s more likely what you’re hearing.

It had nothing to do with “respect” and everything to do with money.

They didn’t want to boot Stevie out of the band as they don’t want to tour as FM without her. But to call the album FM means they would have had to give her a cut. Which they understandably didn’t want to do either since she had nothing to do with it. So they called it a “duo” album even though Mick and John are on nearly every track.

And the sales of a FM album without Stevie? Yeah, it probably would have sold a bit better. But “Time” anyone? How big of a flop was that?

Seems they probably figured they can sell just about as many tickets for about the same price with or without Lindsey in the band. Which is probably true. And are they even considering another album this late in their career? It’s not like there is much money in that anymore anyway.
You say these things as if you have some kind of information. Do you have an inside source or are you just speculating like the rest of us?

You say these things as if you have some kind of information. Do you have an inside source or are you just speculating like the rest of us?
The stuff about how the last album was made is from stuff that I have read. They were working on a new FM album and it was only after waiting a long time for Stevie to show up with anything for it and finally realizing she wasn’t going to, that they decided to make it a “duo” album.

As far as that decision being made because they either would have had to give her a cut of the album or fire her? I’m speculating a bit on that but it’s the only thing that makes any sense if you know anything about the business. As long as she’s a partner in FM, Inc (or whatever they call it) she’d be getting her cut regardless of how the money was earned. Going the route they did would have probably made the most business sense and been the path of least resistance unless the
band was sure that they were done with her.

Which obviously they aren’t. I think Mick probably learned from that experience in the 90s how the FM bread gets buttered. Without Stevie on stage there’s really not much point in them bothering.

Back