Can´t stop!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molle

Hi everyone, hi admins,

first of all thank you for the add to this group. Since I finally connected my surround-system I can´t stop listening to surround music. I am a Progrock fan (ELP etc.) and Fusion, Rush...stuff like that...It´s sometimes painful to listen to some ELP Surround-Efforts which are far from being good like Donald Fagen´s "Nightfly" or Steely Dan´s "Gaucho".

So I am curious to find more good stuff inside this forum.

Cheers from Germany

Frank

Hello Frank and welcome to the forum.
The Polls are a good place to look for titles you may be interested to see what others think of the mix; keeping in mind that systems and taste all vary.
It is also a safe bet to look for things mixed by Bruce Soord, Stephen Wilson and Stephen Tayler. I am sure others will add to the list of recommendations.

Hello Frank and welcome to the forum.
The Polls are a good place to look for titles you may be interested to see what others think of the mix; keeping in mind that systems and taste all vary.
It is also a safe bet to look for things mixed by Bruce Soord, Stephen Wilson and Stephen Tayler. I am sure others will add to the list of recommendations.
Thanx !

Hi everyone, hi admins,

first of all thank you for the add to this group. Since I finally connected my surround-system I can´t stop listening to surround music. I am a Progrock fan (ELP etc.) and Fusion, Rush...stuff like that...It´s sometimes painful to listen to some ELP Surround-Efforts which are far from being good like Donald Fagen´s "Nightfly" or Steely Dan´s "Gaucho".

Cheers from Germany

Frank
Kick off your shoes and stay awhile Frank; looks like you’ll fit right in here with us wackos!

I recommend all of the Dutton Vocalion Quad SACDs and the SACDs by Elton John for starters.

And if you don’t have an SACD player, I’d recommend a used oppo 103, 105, 203 or 205 (that’s in great condition of course.)

Yes, the money will flow out like water 😬

And if you don’t have an SACD player, I’d recommend a used oppo 103, 105, 203 or 205 (that’s in great condition of course.)
Wow, not pulling any punches, eh? Go right for the financial jugular! :geek:

Seriously, I went and visited my mom last year for the first time in years, and she's got a gorgeous, barely-used Oppo 203 in her rack! "Well, that's what the guy at the home theater store recommended." I told her it's her backup if her retirement money goes up in smoke, and please oh please put my name next to it in the will. :ROFLMAO:

OK guys...I have a Sony ubp-x800m2 and it´s great...ok...90% great...no cover to see and gaps between the songs..annoying with live records...so this is like we used to say in german: childillnesses

...but still crappy..

the reason I bought it was (I did not know Oppo) it plays 5.1 flacs. I have my music stored on my Synology NAS and I ripped my DVD-As and Blu-Rays to have it as my own streaming service. So as a 57 years old man I am using technology😂

I am glad I joined a forum as this to satisfy my addiction.

But I am still surprised how crappy some recordings have been remixed to 5.1. Brain Salad Surgery, Trilogy. Genesis´ "ATOTT" is mindblowing...So I will use your advice to dive deep into this subject.

Thanx again

Prost🍻

Frank

.I have a Sony ubp-x800m2 and it´s great...ok...90% great...no cover to see and gaps between the songs..annoying with live records
First, welcome to the club! Second, I have the same Sony as you and I love it. But it sounds like you use it to play FLAC files primarily, while I use it only to play discs - no issues with gapless playback with discs.

And speaking of ELP, which albums are you not happy with in surround? My take is some are really good and some not so good. I love the DVD-A of the first 5.1 mix of Brain Salad Surgery, for example.

And speaking of ELP, which albums are you not happy with in surround? My take is some are really good and some not so good. I love the DVD-A of the first 5.1 mix of Brain Salad Surgery, for example.
I have to admit that the BSS and Trilogy are in my view near to be terrible. In my view. Trilogy is worse. In some songs no punch of the bassdrum. just missed the chance. BSS is better but hearing this makes me feel like, there was a missed opportunity to treat it better.

Hi everyone, hi admins,

Cheers from Germany

Frank
Welcome from North TX Frank! Get ready to get a second job!

OK guys...I have a Sony ubp-x800m2 and it´s great...ok...90% great...no cover to see and gaps between the songs..annoying with live records...so this is like we used to say in german: childillnesses

...but still crappy..

the reason I bought it was (I did not know Oppo) it plays 5.1 flacs. I have my music stored on my Synology NAS and I ripped my DVD-As and Blu-Rays to have it as my own streaming service. So as a 57 years old man I am using technology😂

I am glad I joined a forum as this to satisfy my addiction.

But I am still surprised how crappy some recordings have been remixed to 5.1. Brain Salad Surgery, Trilogy. Genesis´ "ATOTT" is mindblowing...So I will use your advice to dive deep into this subject.

Thanx again

Prost🍻

Frank
I use my 800 (which I picked up as a new unit for $159 a few years back) mainly to play 4K m2ts files extracted at 100% quality from UHD Blu-Ray discs. These are all on 4TB hard drives. I am up to 9 drives with around 500 movies on them. Nine more drives offsite as backup to the 9 "live" drives. I use my Oppo 103 to play pretty much everything else that is non-4K. Both have the dual HDMI outputs which I was looking for. I am very happy with this setup.

Kick off your shoes and stay awhile Frank; looks like you’ll fit right in here with us wackos!

I recommend all of the Dutton Vocalion Quad SACDs and the SACDs by Elton John for starters.

Yes, the money will flow out like water 😬
Yes, but you will turn the water into wine!

Back