Canadian Buyers of Software Unite

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petermwilson

Hi,
I have about 140 titles that I've purchased Mostly at BestBuy and Gregorian in Toronto and am paying btween $27 and $30 cdn a disc.

I know of one Canadian on line site DV-Depot which advertises in US dollars and can pretty much get you what you want but after you figure in mail charges and whatever, I don't see any deals out there do you?

I would even prefer to go to the store myself to browse around but the best deals i have gotten are from some of these small used disc shpos that got the disc because someone bought a non hybrid sacd and got home and couldn't play it.

Anyone knowing of a great Canadian location please let us know.

Peter m.

I know Edwards in Toronto has a good selection, but they can be pricey. Bestbuy continues to be the most affordable place, too bad they are clueless about the formats. And amazon.ca has some good prices too......they just have problems identifying which discs are SACD.....they always call them "imports".
Futureshop is .....ummm.... a great place to buy a microwave!:p

daved64 said:
I know Edwards in Toronto has a good selection, but they can be pricey. Bestbuy continues to be the most affordable place, too bad they are clueless about the formats. And amazon.ca has some good prices too......they just have problems identifying which discs are SACD.....they always call them "imports".
Futureshop is .....ummm.... a great place to buy a microwave!:p

All my stuff comes from BestBuy and Amazon.ca. If you buy from amazon.ca you first have to go to amazon.com and search out the SACD/DVD-A. Then copy the ASIN number and use it to search on Amazon.ca. Most of the time the SACD will only say "Import" as Dave says. I just order Norah Jones for $20.99 and Vaughan Williams Sea Symphony for $29.99 (Telarc are always higher priced) and that got me free shipping. There are few discs that I have wanted that I can't get from these 2 sources.

Hi Guy,
So I paid $26.99 for Norah at Gregorian. What was your landed cost excluding taxes?

I paid the same price for the Vaugn Williams :sea Change" disc, again from Gregorian.

BTW apparantly their Yorkvill store has Tons of both formats. As a matter of fact they had todo a transfer to the Oakville store that I frequent for Norah.

Peter m.

petermwilson said:
Hi Guy,
So I paid $26.99 for Norah at Gregorian. What was your landed cost excluding taxes?

I paid the same price for the Vaugn Williams :sea Change" disc, again from Gregorian.

BTW apparantly their Yorkvill store has Tons of both formats. As a matter of fact they had todo a transfer to the Oakville store that I frequent for Norah.

Peter m.

I will be downtown on August 1st weekend so I will have to check it out. Trouble is that taking my wife through Yorkville could be really dangerous.

Well when you take the $20.99 and $29.99 and add it you get $51 then add the GST and PST. That's it. Also, I had a $10 promo certifcate to apply to it so they totalled $47 with tax. Not sure of where the $10 came from. Maybe because I am such a good customer they gave it to me. Also, because it ships from Mississauga I usually get them in 3 or 4 days from the order date as long as they are in stock.

Quadzilla said:
Even if it were $50 Canadian for each disk, that would still be about $650 cheaper per disk than taking your wife to Yorkville. :D

That's what I am thinking. Peter if you want another example here is an amazon.ca order from July 1 that I made: Two SACD's.

Items Ordered Price

1 of: Up (Sacd Hybrid) [IMPORT] [Audio CD]
By: Peter Gabriel
CDN$ 20.99
- Gift options: None

1 of: Reflections (Sl) [IMPORT] [Audio CD]
By: B.B. King
CDN$ 19.99
- Gift options: None

Payment Information

Item(s) Subtotal:
Shipping & Handling:
$0.00

Total Before Tax:
GST:
PST:

Grand Total: CDN$ 40.98
-----
CDN$ 40.98
CDN$ 2.87
CDN$ 3.28
-----
CDN$ 47.13

If you buy from amazon.ca you first have to go to amazon.com and search out the SACD/DVD-A. Then copy the ASIN number and use it to search on Amazon.ca.

BRILLIANT!!! Wow, what a great idea. I was just the other day pissed that things are up at Amzn.com, but not on the .ca (after the merge with HMV, the site lost the very convenient split section for HiRez MC)

The BB I keep going to (Yonge and Laird) has squat. I've been getting the few I've got from BB and Edward's. DVD-A I order from DVDWave up in Richmond Hill.

shark42 said:
BRILLIANT!!! Wow, what a great idea. I was just the other day pissed that things are up at Amzn.com, but not on the .ca (after the merge with HMV, the site lost the very convenient split section for HiRez MC)

The BB I keep going to (Yonge and Laird) has squat. I've been getting the few I've got from BB and Edward's. DVD-A I order from DVDWave up in Richmond Hill.

Using that method you will find most of the titles that amazon.com has also on amazon.ca For instance, New Favourite is clearly marked as an SACD on amazon.com. If you take the ASIN of B00006FN90 from there and use it to search on amazon.ca you get a listing of New Favourite (IMPORT). No mention of a SACD. I ordered it from Amazon.ca and of course they sent the SACD for $23.99 CDN which really is not too bad. It's the DVD-A's that generally are more money. I find SACD's rarely going above the $23.99 amount.

Just called BestBuy in Ajax. They have 7 copies of Pet Sounds. The price is $22.99. Going to pick mine up in a few hours unless 7 of you beat me to it.

I just came back from the Best Buy in London. I picked up Peter Gabriel - Up MC SACD and the MC SACD of Carole King - Tapestry. Up was marked at CDN$19.99, but the register had it listed at $15.99 ... Tapestry was listed at $26.99 and the register listed it at $21.99 ... BONUS. Check it out guys ... there may even be more. If I had more time I would have had them scan a few other titles to see if there were any more hidden sales. Good hunting Beaver-Boys !!! :D Mike.

Quadzilla said:
I just came back from the Best Buy in London. I picked up Peter Gabriel - Up MC SACD and the MC SACD of Carole King - Tapestry. Up was marked at CDN$19.99, but the register had it listed at $15.99 ... Tapestry was listed at $26.99 and the register listed it at $21.99 ... BONUS. Check it out guys ... there may even be more. If I had more time I would have had them scan a few other titles to see if there were any more hidden sales. Good hunting Beaver-Boys !!! :D Mike.

There is a sale this week at BestBuy. 20% off all SACD's and DVD-A's. I guess it ends on Tuesday next week? I got a rebate from them of $45 on the titles I have purchased in the last 30 days as they have a 30 day price guarantee.

meh. I continue to not have found a single Toronto BB with Pet Sounds.

I suck...

shark42 said:

I suck...
I got mine the day it came out at BB in Mississauga....of course I had to send them "to the back" to get it.

shark42 said:

I suck...

When I was in the Ajax store yesterday there was one copy hidden behind Chicago. Of course some people consider it too far out. I pass it every night on my way home from work. It has proven to be very dangerous........................................

Quadzilla said:

$15.99....hmmmmm......I may have to pick up a few more PG titles at that price.

Guy,
The BestBuy i use mostly is across from Sherway Gardens, and they have JUST separated out all the HIREZ titles (except the ABKO Stones, they didn't know) into it's own section.

Did they do the same in London? Has anyone else noticed this at other BB's.

Peter m.

petermwilson said:
Guy,
The BestBuy i use mostly is across from Sherway Gardens, and they have JUST separated out all the HIREZ titles (except the ABKO Stones, they didn't know) into it's own section.

Did they do the same in London? Has anyone else noticed this at other BB's.

Peter m.

Everything was separated into SACD and DVD-A (within the CD department) in Ajax last week in preparation for the 20% off sale. I guess they are trying to draw attention to them finally. Now they just need to get more varied titles like HMV in downtown TO.

Hi,
Another rescource for HIREZ that i use is L'attelier Gregorian which has 2 outlets 1 in Oakville and their main store in Yokville.

They actually had to send the Norah Jones sacd from the Yorkville store to Oakville for me but when speaking to the person in Yorkville, he said the've got tons of HIREZ. They also have a website and advetise on radio. One of the Jazz stations I think 91.1 maybee.

I'm going to go down there as soon as I saveup enough for parking.

Peter m.

petermwilson said:
Hi,
Another rescource for HIREZ that i use is L'attelier Gregorian which has 2 outlets 1 in Oakville and their main store in Yokville.

They actually had to send the Norah Jones sacd from the Yorkville store to Oakville for me but when speaking to the person in Yorkville, he said the've got tons of HIREZ. They also have a website and advetise on radio. One of the Jazz stations I think 91.1 maybee.

I'm going to go down there as soon as I saveup enough for parking.

Peter m.

Do you have an address for Gregorian in Yorkville. Can't seem to find it listed in Canada 411. I have been to Yorkville before and I don't want to wander around there all day looking for it. In the '60's I didn't mind wandering around there all day.

Back